+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 220 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
    Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    new core i9's overheat and throttle to like half the advertised clock speeds... they still perform better than the i7 variant but they're held back by the 'barely there' cooling system that the macbook pro's provide

can't really blame apple all that much. the i9 require a crazy amount of cooling, especially chunked into a laptop. the i9 needs something 6 inches thick to allow it to reach it's peak speeds

tldr; the i9 runs hot as shit. apple slaps the pro moniker on yet another device that focuses on form over function
    thats what she said

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    new core i9's overheat and throttle to like half the advertised clock speeds... they still perform better than the i7 variant but they're held back by the 'barely there' cooling system that the macbook pro's provide

can't really blame apple all that much. the i9 require a crazy amount of cooling, especially chunked into a laptop. the i9 needs something 6 inches thick to allow it to reach it's peak speeds

tldr; the i9 runs hot as shit. apple slaps the pro moniker on yet another device that focuses on form over function
    I can blame Apple all the much. They absolutely could have done a better job. They could have sacrificed a few mm's of thickness for a substantially higher performance level.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I agree that they could have done better. Maybe I'm just not surprised by it anymore. This is the same company that removed the head phone jack and basically every standard port ever so they could go thinner and lighter. It'd be silly to expect them to do otherwise, JUST for a chip that runs hot.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm eyeing my next laptop upgrade. Gonna be a Carbon X1 fo sho.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Wife is going back to school soon and is going to want a laptop. I'll have to figure out the best bang for buck for normal applications plus maybe sneaking in a decent gpu so I can steal it for gaming from time to time if necessary.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I would do one or the other.

Budget laptops are realllllllll budget. Anything under 600 bucks is gonna be a fucking waste for gaming on IMO.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Gross. I have a lot of research to do then! I probably won't use it at all anyways.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Seems like an appropriate thread. If not my bad.

Decent chance I'll have to replace my self-built PC in the near future. Got a good amount of time out of it and it did me well, but the whole building ordeal is entirely too stressful for me to do over. Anyone have a recommendation for somewhere that customizes for you, or for an indifferent techno illiterate like myself a good direction to seek out pre-builts? The 1k range would be great, but if I'm getting appreciable performance and longevity out of it I'd be cool in the 1.5k area too. It'd be used for Office, BG, Netflix, and games like WOW, XIV, etc.

If ya need more info lemme know. I never have any idea what I'm doing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thanks

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Do you need a new monitor or no?

Because for 1500 bucks you can get a LOT of PC.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Nah. I may upgrade mine if this ends up not being as expensive as I anticipate, but it's not a requirement

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Stressing the bit about appreciable results or longevity though. I can drop 1.5k, but if a pleeb like me isn't gonna notice a difference playing a MMO like XIV or WOW I don't wanna go out of my way to waste money

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I hear ya. There's a ton of options in the 800-1100 range that will last you a very long time.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah even $1K can build a boss system. Pre-built, not sure. But shit, I'd build it and ship it for $20!

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b9ngzY

That's kinda what I have right now, updated for some more current versions of stuff.

You can nerf the GPU initially back to a 1050Ti or something if you're just playing WoW FFXIV

You can go with an AMD build as well and likely get a lot more bang for your midrange buck. I'll let Kalmado help you because I know nothing about the current AMD builds.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I could do a WoW/MMO build that could do AAA at 1080P for $600 probably. We're short at work so I can't do it now but if you really would like me to work something up I can.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My build came in just under $1000 if you want to review the last few pages. Reused an SSD and a lot of cheap price part hunting. Easily would max out something like XIV.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'll definitely get with you Kal within the week. Assuming replacement is necessary you're probably my best bet. I'd happily pay instead of having to worry about fucking up assembly

And thanks for the parts listing Zet

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If I were to actually do a build and ship it I'd pack the GPU separately because having that installed seems like it could result in absolute destruction. I actually have a fairly budget friendly build I'm working on with a baller case. I just need a ram deal to pop. I do not have a mid range GPU to test so I'll be testing using a HD 7870 2GB and a GTX 1080. I'll let you know. And, I'll work up a list too and see what we can do.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Having shipped whole custom built computers four times (to/from undergrad, to/from law school), I can say that the safest thing is always to ship with as little assembled as possible. Shit gets weird with shipping damage. One time my computer failed to post because there was shipping damage to the CD-ROM drive. As soon as I disconnected it, the computer was fine. Another time the sound card got damaged somehow and it would make the computer blue screen if there was any movement shock to the tower. When I took out the soundcard, no more problems.

These thing happened despite shipping in the original tower box with suspended cardboard corners etc. Just a lot of vibrational rattling that's not good for things mounted on motherboards. CPUs probably an exception because they clamp on much harder than other parts.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Having shipped whole custom built computers four times (to/from undergrad, to/from law school), I can say that the safest thing is always to ship with as little assembled as possible. Shit gets weird with shipping damage. One time my computer failed to post because there was shipping damage to the CD-ROM drive. As soon as I disconnected it, the computer was fine. Another time the sound card got damaged somehow and it would make the computer blue screen if there was any movement shock to the tower. When I took out the soundcard, no more problems.

These thing happened despite shipping in the original tower box with suspended cardboard corners etc. Just a lot of vibrational rattling that's not good for things mounted on motherboards. CPUs probably an exception because they clamp on much harder than other parts.
    Why you gotta be sabotaging my sale yo?

It's a very fair point in all seriousness. It would be easy to ship the cpu/mb/ram/cooler in one without damage. The thing that absolutely kills the deal is shipping. You'd spend probably $75 for all shipping.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag