Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    This upsets me.
    I'm lost on the disadvantage of running true full screen. What am I missing out on?!

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

having to tab out and do literally anything while playing.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

That's never bothered me but maybe it's because of the games I play. For instance when I play Dark Souls 3 I'll move my mouse cursor to my second monitor is so when I want to do something on that monitor I just have to click the bottom of the screen. Once I'm in a game I usually focus on just the game.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It has to do with whatever you play. Even past drafting stages, I'm too conditioned from FFXI to be doing something else while I play so as soon as I die and I'm waiting on respawn I'm usually on my second monitor.

If you're playing AAA titles you probably don't need to be looking away nearly as much.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    It has to do with whatever you play. Even past drafting stages, I'm too conditioned from FFXI to be doing something else while I play so as soon as I die and I'm waiting on respawn I'm usually on my second monitor.

If you're playing AAA titles you probably don't need to be looking away nearly as much.
    Once I 100% Dark Souls 3 I'm moving to GR Wildlands and Mafia 3 so I'll be busy for awhile. I also bought BF 1 complete so there is that!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Ended up buying two Sapphire Nitro R9 390 (refurbished) from Newegg for $246. I don't think there is a better value right now. I will need to psu shop. I don't think 850w is going to cut it.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There's a 1980p 240Hz FreeSync Alienware monitor on sale at Costco and I'm seriously pondering trying to flip my 980Ti and investing in AMD or if I should go upgrade to a Dell 1440p 165 Hz G-Sync instead

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have a freesync monitor despite being on Nvidia because everything I play I will lower settings to hit 144hz.

I guess if you go 240hz you need to turn more stuff down or accept 144-240 fps, ( csgo would easily hit static 240 ).
    For me the real kicker here is nvidia just being dickbags.

Free adaptive sync is part of the new HDMI standards, and will be on most TVs as well as monitors because it's cheap to implement and works fine.
    Nvidia could push a patch that allows users to enable freesync tomorrow, but they want their grubby proprietary gsync dollars to last as long as possible.

Looks like Amazon has a sale going on for SSDs which has me wondering a couple of things:

1. Is it a good deal? I'm mainly looking at the San Disk Plus 1TB for $140 and the 120GB version for $32.

2. If I get one and use it for my second PC to install Windows, is there anyway way to avoid reinstalling all my programs/apps? The HDD that's in the second PC will be staying in that PC for extra storage.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Okay. My brother is thinking about building one of my other brothers (who is married) a compy for the kids to do stuff on(like homework) and prolly play a few games. (Shadowcat said he'd want it to be able to play A Hat In Time, which I don't think is that demanding.) He's aiming for Jared's (Taht's the person it's for) birthday b/c of well. Expenses. If Shadowcat didn't have some unexpected expenses, it'd be for Christmas.

Budget would be $1k including Windows. Mind, I don't expect no high end gamer here b/c well, this is for Jared's kiddies; Jared had been thinking about it himself and didn't want to have it a very high end gamer, which is fine considering. We're going to preload it with OpenOffice as well btw. ^^ So just asking, any good ideas guys? Yes, we want a 3D card, but it really doesn't have to be top of the line. Last year's or even the one I got (a Geforce 1060) would be perfectly fine! BTW, the budget will have to include a Windows 10 license for good reason. We don't have a spare copy of Windows lying around..

Also if you didn't know: Jared has 3 kids. Their age range is (If I remember right) 5-10. Jared has said if they want a better computer when they get to be teens when he was poking at the idea, that they could save for it themselves. ^^

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Okay. My brother is thinking about building one of my other brothers (who is married) a compy for the kids to do stuff on(like homework) and prolly play a few games. (Shadowcat said he'd want it to be able to play A Hat In Time, which I don't think is that demanding.) He's aiming for Jared's (Taht's the person it's for) birthday b/c of well. Expenses. If Shadowcat didn't have some unexpected expenses, it'd be for Christmas.

Budget would be $1k including Windows. Mind, I don't expect no high end gamer here b/c well, this is for Jared's kiddies; Jared had been thinking about it himself and didn't want to have it a very high end gamer, which is fine considering. We're going to preload it with OpenOffice as well btw. ^^ So just asking, any good ideas guys? Yes, we want a 3D card, but it really doesn't have to be top of the line. Last year's or even the one I got (a Geforce 1060) would be perfectly fine! BTW, the budget will have to include a Windows 10 license for good reason. We don't have a spare copy of Windows lying around..

Also if you didn't know: Jared has 3 kids. Their age range is (If I remember right) 5-10. Jared has said if they want a better computer when they get to be teens when he was poking at the idea, that they could save for it themselves. ^^
    My only comment is to avoid OpenOffice as it's hot garbage.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Buy an optiplex or something and throw a 1050 in it. Also, if you have a student email, doesn't matter if it's old or not (haven't been in school in four years), Office 365 is free. As said, Open Office is trash.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    Looks like Amazon has a sale going on for SSDs which has me wondering a couple of things:

1. Is it a good deal? I'm mainly looking at the San Disk Plus 1TB for $140 and the 120GB version for $32.

2. If I get one and use it for my second PC to install Windows, is there anyway way to avoid reinstalling all my programs/apps? The HDD that's in the second PC will be staying in that PC for extra storage.
    SSD prices are definitely trending down and yes I think those are good prices. Other 120's have been around $25. I have never tried cloning a drive. I always do a fresh install so I have no input on that.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah, Google Docs is the way to go.

Also my starter point for builds these days is to hit up https://pcpartpicker.com/ , click on a recommended build and start editing from there.
    eg

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gtYcC...d-gaming-build

Just needs a monitor, keyboard and mouse and it's good to go. ( I'd check of components as well to check there's no dumb stuff - sometimes motherboards may/may not have wifi/bluetooth that you want ).

There is a lot of free cloning stuff out there, just google. I run Urbackup at home just to have an image of all my computers just in case. It's free, automatic after setup, and has alerts if things stop working.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Ryzen 7 2700x is like 220 on amazon right now. $60 cheaper than Microcenter. Wow I’m so bitter than I installed my 2600 on Tuesday night.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just as a heads up. Just had to purchase Win10 for my cheapass of a boss. I asked him if he wanted to take a chance on this $5 amazon item (of course he did). And the key actually worked AND activated with MS automatically. Could save you a couple of dollars.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've bought a few keys off Ebay for a couple bucks. Haven't had an issue. Better than having to mess with a loader for W10 which I haven't found one that works good.

Alright fam wifey needs a new laptop or some shit for school. I'm clueless in the laptop game. Is it even fathomable to spend around $200 for a non piece of shit?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I've bought a few keys off Ebay for a couple bucks. Haven't had an issue. Better than having to mess with a loader for W10 which I haven't found one that works good.

Alright fam wifey needs a new laptop or some shit for school. I'm clueless in the laptop game. Is it even fathomable to spend around $200 for a non piece of shit?
    Yes. Jumper EZbook X4 on gearbest/banggood, probably on amazon/ebay as well.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Yes. Jumper EZbook X4 on gearbest/banggood, probably on amazon/ebay as well.
    Looks like around $280 is the common price. For the specs it looks like a good value. My thing is I don't know what is really even needed specs/cost wise for needing a machine to have internet, word docs, decent video playback, and doesn't take 100 years to load stuff.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag