FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I don't recognize you with your new avatar.
    It's rough being a Lions fan I tell ya.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Anyone have a cheap graphics card suggestion for an old PC I have that doesn't have integrated graphics just to get it up and running? By old I mean i7-920 so not that old but out of date and in a closet lol.

I see some 710 and 1030 options for anywhere from $35-$85, wife is probably only going to use it for bills and casting her online shows to tvs around the house. I can't imagine even a Facebook game is played on it but who knows anymore.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

There was a great deal on 960 B-Stock recently. You may have missed some good Cyber Monday deals but I didn't pay close attention.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Anyone have a cheap graphics card suggestion for an old PC I have that doesn't have integrated graphics just to get it up and running? By old I mean i7-920 so not that old but out of date and in a closet lol.

I see some 710 and 1030 options for anywhere from $35-$85, wife is probably only going to use it for bills and casting her online shows to tvs around the house. I can't imagine even a Facebook game is played on it but who knows anymore.
    I've got a Sapphire HD 7870 2GB I can do $40+ shipping. I've benched it and it performs like a 7870 should. Has a weird thing that older Sapphire cards are (I think?) sort of known for where only one fan spins until a certain temp is hit. Running a custom fan curve thru Afterburner and benching on Heaven, FC 5, etc card never went over 85. Let me know!

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    It's rough being a Lions fan I tell ya.
    Worse than being a Redskins fan? Let's fite

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Worse than being a Redskins fan? Let's fite
    Eh, we both lose.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Been a while since i been here. But i need a little bit of advice.

A friends computer mother board has fried and i am looking to help get her a new one. Only problem is that i am having a hard time finding any place that sells it.

She bought a prebuilt computer roughly 2 years ago. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16883101473

This is the motherboard i think as the specs didn't come with the mobo for some reason: Acer Aspire AT3-715A Motherboard DB.B1411.001

Is there any good replacement to this or am i stuck on finding an exact copy?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

you can probably get any mini ATX compatible

using the cpu as a guide on partpicker will work. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/htgHMp you need a LGA 1151

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Sweet! Thanks!

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

So my new build is just missing a CPU which I plan on ordering today. My vision is to put together a closed cooling loop for this one, which I've never done but I'm eager to try.

However what I'm also SUPER eager for is to just have a new working PC, so I plan on using it right away, which means I'll need a heat sink and fans to start. Is there anything specific I should be looking for? I'm given to understand that there's really one basic model of heat sink but I want to be sure. I have a Lian-Li PC-0011DX ATX case, an X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming ATX AM4 MoBo, and am picking up the AMD Ryzen 2700X if that makes a difference. GPU is the Radeon RX580. I guess if anyone knows anything about water cooling loops that would be advice I'm looking for now as well, but priority one is making sure that when my CPU arrives I'm ready to hit the ground running.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If you want to just slap something on there that's quality while researching and planning your loop, go with a Cryorig H7. Pretty easy to install, looks great, and is usually found on sale for $28.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Went ahead and ordered one, looks like I'll have a working PC in about a week. Super stoked.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like im gonna have to buy a new monitor. My Samsung appears to be dying. When i turn thur monitor on it displays for 1-2 seconds, then goes black.i can quickly hit the button to power on and off and itll display again, for 1-2 seconds, pull the cords, replaced them and it does it still.
    I don't do any high end gaming anymore really, but i would still like ro be able to have fun with them if i wanted.
    Do i look for the 144hz monitors, when searching, and try to get one that is 4k compatible, or is it an either or thing? I don't want anything TV sized, and just from looking, the ultrawide thing seems a little more like a gimick. Any recommendations out there to help narrow down the search?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Delayed View Post
    Looks like im gonna have to buy a new monitor. My Samsung appears to be dying. When i turn thur monitor on it displays for 1-2 seconds, then goes black.i can quickly hit the button to power on and off and itll display again, for 1-2 seconds, pull the cords, replaced them and it does it still.
    I don't do any high end gaming anymore really, but i would still like ro be able to have fun with them if i wanted.
    Do i look for the 144hz monitors, when searching, and try to get one that is 4k compatible, or is it an either or thing? I don't want anything TV sized, and just from looking, the ultrawide thing seems a little more like a gimick. Any recommendations out there to help narrow down the search?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Practically speaking it's one or the other. The reason being is that a refresh rate (Hz) above 60 only matter if you can push over 60 FPS. But pushing over 60 FPS on 4k resolution is extremely difficult even with top tier graphics cards.

144Hz/1440p is the sweet spot for a 27" monitor. Expect to spend around $300. Go IPS if you play AAA, TN if you play competitive/FPS. (And if you play competitive/FPS, you're probably better off with a 24" 240Hz/1080p)

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

What's BG's verdict with MSI laptops in terms of reliability? I'm looking at getting my niece and nephew one and they live in WA so I don't want to have to be long distance tech support. These babies need to start up and work for like 5 years.

Wife's has been going strong for 7 years. That said, she doesn't travel with it or anything.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Figured I'd ask here to get straight forward advice from those that have built Raspberry Pi 3+. I have all hardware including a 32gb card. What program do I put on the card to get up and running. What did ya'll do once you had the board/case/psu/card?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Will do once home. So basically download NOOBS, put on card, insert card into Pi, profit?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

follow the guides that are linked on the download page. it's simple but needs to be done properly.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag