FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    follow the guides that are linked on the download page. it's simple but needs to be done properly.
    Gotcha. Thank you.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Thoughts on this laptop? Not looking for high end, only comp game I play is hearthstone and FFXI. I have a custom built PC I use for high end. This is for when I travel for work or when I am to lazy to go into my office upstairs and am downstairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...80FPDIRG&psc=1

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Thoughts on this laptop? Not looking for high end, only comp game I play is hearthstone and FFXI. I have a custom built PC I use for high end. This is for when I travel for work or when I am to lazy to go into my office upstairs and am downstairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...80FPDIRG&psc=1
    For what you're doing, should be decent.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Main thing I would consider is the size/weight, as that thing is not a small form factor and is pushing 8lbs. While it'd be fine (if not preferable) for sitting down in a hotel room or something, it's not really the kind of laptop you'd want to tote around with you.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Good note... did not realize that.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Considering installing a 256GB M.2 I bought to flip but it never sold. I'd like to use it as my OS drive but the thought of reinstalling everything is not pleasant. Also, it's from a portable SSD so I'd have to crack the case and pull it. Worth the hassle or just use it via USB for more storage?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Considering installing a 256GB M.2 I bought to flip but it never sold. I'd like to use it as my OS drive but the thought of reinstalling everything is not pleasant. Also, it's from a portable SSD so I'd have to crack the case and pull it. Worth the hassle or just use it via USB for more storage?
    I feel like there's decreasing noticeable gains from the initial mechanical to SSD leap to every other hard drive upgrade. It's fine to do if you're planning a reinstall upgrade anyway but I wouldn't tear my case apart and spend hours just for that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I feel like there's decreasing noticeable gains from the initial mechanical to SSD leap to every other hard drive upgrade. It's fine to do if you're planning a reinstall upgrade anyway but I wouldn't tear my case apart and spend hours just for that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Good call. I really do not want to tear my pc apart, again! I need to go thru my room of parts and start getting rid of some stuff. Maybe pass along the savings to a BG'er.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Also there are two types of M.2 ... if it's SATA there's absolutely no difference from a traditional SSD (it's just the form factor). If it's NVMe, there can be modest gains in particular situations. I'm making a guess that if it's USB-attached now, it's probably SATA?

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Greetings again gents,

Quick q: building a new pc for my wife, and its going to semi be a gaming rig. She doesn't play many games but now and then she teams up with me for a MMORPG or hack n slash style game. I've managed to convince her to try Anthem, so a 3rd person shooter.

Anyway, I'm I still correct in assuming that since games don't take advantage of multi core processing, it's more advantageous for me to get her a x4 4.3ghz i7 over a x6 3.5 ghz i7?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    Greetings again gents,

Quick q: building a new pc for my wife, and its going to semi be a gaming rig. She doesn't play many games but now and then she teams up with me for a MMORPG or hack n slash style game. I've managed to convince her to try Anthem, so a 3rd person shooter.

Anyway, I'm I still correct in assuming that since games don't take advantage of multi core processing, it's more advantageous for me to get her a x4 4.3ghz i7 over a x6 3.5 ghz i7?
    For pure gaming yes, but depending on what other things she does with the computer having the extra cores may be helpful. What are your other plans for it?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    Greetings again gents,

I'd recommend a ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x at the moment.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If you live in driving distance of a Micro Center and all you're doing is gaming and other basic stuff you can't do better than the R5 1600 for $100. Comes with the Wraith cooler too. In store only of course.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...h-spire-cooler

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

@Gredival: Honestly, she doesn't use her PC as much as she used to now that she has a tablet. Most other tasks would be Excel or Word related, so I'm not too concerned about other open programs slowing her down.

@Gryffes: I'll look into em'. Honestly I've used Intel for my entire PC building career but I have friends who've had success with AMD too. I just rarely think to look there.

Thanks all.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

AMD slays in bang for buck right now, just don't splurge on RAM unless you pull off the QVL otherwise you might get stuck with a stick that only goes to 2400.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There's a good reason sales charts look like this at the moment:

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Hot damn that 2600! Happen to know the dates for sales on that chart? 1700X here and will not be changing anytime soon!

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Hot damn that 2600! Happen to know the dates for sales on that chart? 1700X here and will not be changing anytime soon!
    It's last weeks chart from mindfactory.de

GATTACA!

BG Level

My old Lenovo appears to be finally crapping out

I'm a computer specs noob - can anyone check this and let me know if it's a good deal: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834850648

I searched gaming laptops only because I'd like to play the odd PC game that isn't on consoles (like slay the spire) or things like KOTOR and FFXI. Nothing too graphics-intensive

Otherwise the most taxing thing it will be doing is surfing the net and streaming sports on Reddit

Any advice on that deal or generic advice on what I should be looking for as far as processors/RAM/etc is much appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    My old Lenovo appears to be finally crapping out

I'm a computer specs noob - can anyone check this and let me know if it's a good deal: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834850648

I searched gaming laptops only because I'd like to play the odd PC game that isn't on consoles (like slay the spire) or things like KOTOR and FFXI. Nothing too graphics-intensive

Otherwise the most taxing thing it will be doing is surfing the net and streaming sports on Reddit

Any advice on that deal or generic advice on what I should be looking for as far as processors/RAM/etc is much appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Here's a cheat sheet for nVidia

xx80 top tier, money no object
    xx70 serious gamer with financial limitations
    xx60 budget gaming
    xx50 not much better than integrated

However FFXI is so old that a 1050 is fine, but if you want anything semi-modern you should aim for a 1060.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag