• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 220 FirstFirst ... 43 83 91 92 93 94 95 103 143 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Got a general question regarding laptops.

My dad and stepmom are looking for a general use laptop, mostly browsing and doing taxes, nothing that should require a dedicated video card. They were also interested in looking at touch screens.

Are there any brands to avoid or maybe look specifically for? Or any deals you guys may see? I'm going to take a look as well, but figured I'd ask since it couldn't hurt.

Probably a 17" screen cause they're in their late 60s so they don't want anything too small.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is there anything like pcpartpicker but for already built laptops?

I wanna put in my specs (1 tb drive, cd or dvd drive, 8 gb ram, 15" screen or bigger, up to $500) and have it spit options out at me.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Most of the general online retailers (Amazon/Newegg/etc) have filters to narrow down your options.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah but then you gotta do each one individually. I was hoping for something that compared them all.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

So, I havent bought a desktop in a long-ass time. Had laptops since like 2003 and have no idea about good specs anymore. I wanna get a PC for gaming. Trying to play Borderlands 3 and my FPS is like 10-15. I also know jack shit about building a PC.

Need some halp!

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    So, I havent bought a desktop in a long-ass time. Had laptops since like 2003 and have no idea about good specs anymore. I wanna get a PC for gaming. Trying to play Borderlands 3 and my FPS is like 10-15. I also know jack shit about building a PC.

Need some halp!
    What's your budget?

Right now you have two options. You can get cheap deals by going with the Ryzen Zen+ generation (2000 line) or you can future-proof by going with the Ryzen Zen 2 generation (3000 line). Regardless of which you choose, getting a new 500 board probably best.

Intel is still king for single threaded performance, which is the most important stat for gaming, but you're getting less bang for your buck. If you do anything that uses multi-cores (streaming, video editing, etc.) you'll benefit from AMD.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    What's your budget?

Right now you have two options. You can get cheap deals by going with the Ryzen Zen+ generation (2000 line) or you can future-proof by going with the Ryzen Zen 2 generation (3000 line). Regardless of which you choose, getting a new 500 board probably best.

Intel is still king for single threaded performance, which is the most important stat for gaming, but you're getting less bang for your buck. If you do anything that uses multi-cores (streaming, video editing, etc.) you'll benefit from AMD.
    This is how far behind I am on tech stuff. That was all gibberish to me =/

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What's your budget?

Since your focus is wanting to play BL3 well, that gives a pretty clear guideline as what the focus needs to be, so it's really just a question of how high you want those settings to go and any kind of future proofing.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    What's your budget?

Since your focus is wanting to play BL3 well, that gives a pretty clear guideline as what the focus needs to be, so it's really just a question of how high you want those settings to go and any kind of future proofing.
    Budget is unlimited atm....obviously dont wanna go crazy....I know BL3 is a brand new game so I'm hoping, in theory, itll be good for a while. Settings dont have to be OMG ULTRA BEST GRAPHICS OUT THERE, but I'm running on my laptop on lowest settings at like 15 FPS....

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A CPU like the AMD 3700x is probably the best performance/price option for desktops right now, and if you willing to splurge abit I'd probably go with an Nvidia 2070 or so for the GPU so you can futureproof yourself for a couple years.

I could throw you something together on PC Parts Picker here in an hour or so, though I've also been out of the desktop game for awhile now since I'm at a deployable unit (but my current laptop is extreme overkill and honestly a gigantic waste of money, though I still love the fucker)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Where/what sites do you use for PCs?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can google around on reviews for specific components to figure out what you want, and generally people will plan out builds using https://pcpartpicker.com/.

The builder can let you find the lowest price on a part at any given time, and will also keep you from accidentally using incompatible components (i.e. buying the wrong mobo for your CPU)

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

can also check out /r/buildapcsales for deals. Team brand ram 2x8gb 2666 15 CAS on sale for like, $58+ tax or something. 4

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Anyways, the example build they have on the front page is pretty good, could probably run BL3 at roughly high settings 1080p/60fps (I'm guessing, I've heard the performance in the game is really really bad, PS4 Pro/XBOX can't even maintain 30 fps apparently so it's probably the game in general and not the port job)

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/R3G32...treaming-build

Add a non-stock CPU cooler and knock up the CPU and GPU to 3700x/2070 Super respectively and you're still sub 1500, and from the benchmarks I've seen that would be more then adequate for BL3 or any other current game (assuming we're talking sub 4k resolutions)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WR3hD2

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Just stopping in to give a thumbs-up to the current line of NZXT cases. I went with the H400i for my last build, and it was the easiest/best-looking build I've ever done. The H510 seems like the next gen up from the 00 series, and I'm sure that it'll be a joy to work in.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Cail there's a few things you need to pinpoint on your list of wants and then we can play around with different build ideas. As mentioned budget and use are the big ones but knowing your monitor or what monitor you want is very important. Are you grandfathering your monitor on or do you plan to buy one?

Do you just want to play in ancient 1080p 60fps? If so you can Max this out very cheap for a good while.

1080p but 144hz refresh?

1440p/60?

1440p/144hz (most people's sweet spot)

4k/60

4k/60+ $$

3440p 21:9 ultrawide

3440p 21:9 100hz+ $$ (the real sweet spot).

You can spend $2000 on a PC but if you're just pushing a 1080p monitor it's pointless. The monitor can be a small, moderate, or significant part of your budget. 4k, 1440/144, and 21:9 options can easily start in the $400-$700 range and go up from there well into the 1200-2400$ range.

I've had bad experiences with amd multiple times in the past, prefer cooler quieter builds, and just generally like Intel and Nvidia more even though there is a slight premium to it with less performance per dollar spent.

If he wants to go cheap for BL3, I have an 980 ti which is running it 1080 everything set to high running 60-70FPS. Ultra settings dropped it into the 30 to 40 range.

So if he doesn't care about 4k right now, that is a nice sweet spot.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal...e_x570p_20999/

Get this. Use savings for a good gpu.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

No monitor yet...kinda wanna get dual monitors to have a game going on one, and access to internet/etc on the other...also, if this is easier to do in real time, I am on the discord

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal...e_x570p_20999/

Get this. Use savings for a good gpu.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    That is a fucking ridiculous deal

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag