FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    I've had similar issues with a 980Ti that was damaged by a bad power supply. Hopefully that's not the case with your cards, but it is one possibility to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Power supply should be good. I do have a second PC I can test in and was going to put the second card in that later today. More than likely these mining cards are just dead. One other thing I do plan to try is updating the BIOS on them. The last ditch effort will be baking them.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Big happy update on the 2x R9 380 4GB cards I bought. I waited until late in the evening to give the card another go. I also flashed BIOS to the newest available, lowered voltage, lowered power limit, and raised the fan curve in Wattman. Low and behold the card was running and I let Heaven benchmark loop for roughly 30 minutes without issue! Fired up Far Cry 5 and ran the bench without issue!! Even averaged in the low 50s fps wise on Ultra at 1080p.

The second card does not have such a happy ending. I followed the same as above but one fan on this cooler is bad. if I put it above 1750 rpms it rattles like crazy and it's wobbly. I was able to get one pass thru Heaven eventually, but a few minutes later it started to artifact and then crashed Heaven and Wattman. I watched closely to the temp and it was close to 70c when it crashed. The cooler cannot cool the card properly. Hope is not lost! I have laying around a Kraken G10 and a Corsair H50! I get it installed and just do a quick test using the motherboard, ram, and PSU I'll be using for this build and an old HDD from the build that used this motherboard. Windows fired up and everything overall was doing what it should, except the Corsair H50. Pump is LOUD. I hadn't used this guy in over a year and it was in my wife's desktop at the time so who knows if it was noisy for awhile and she just didn't notice. Not to worry because Corsair is awesome and has a 5 year warranty on their AIO kits so I'll be sending it in.

Oh, forgot a very important part. I contacted the seller to do a return because eh, even if these cards work how long realistically will they last. A week? A month? He responds almost immediately saying to keep the cards and refunded minus shipping. Normally I'd contact him with an offer or something since I got one of them working but as mentioned, who knows for how long. Since these cards will require we'll say supervision & maintenance, I will not put in any build I'll sell or sell them. I'm going to attempt to crossfire them once I get a new AIO but that's also assuming the internet is right about the motherboard I have being capable.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Took a few pictures of my completed build. At least the front side is pretty clean.

Think I'm just going to keep the 1070 TI. Haven't even opened the 980 TI.

EDIT: Need to flatten the dust filter for the front fans.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Looks great!

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Complete Noob question.

How easy is it to buy a SSD and convert that to my main drive with my OS and main games while making my current HDD a storage option?

I run windows 8

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Complete Noob question.

How easy is it to buy a SSD and convert that to my main drive with my OS and main games while making my current HDD a storage option?

I run windows 8
    It'd depend a little on just how familiar you are with working on your PC. Objectively, it's not particularly difficult, with maybe a couple considerations based on hardware specifics.

First thing to look at is what your computer/case can physically accommodate. For instance, for a laptop, you'd (likely) be talking about swapping an SSD into the only available space for a drive, meaning your HDD would need an external enclosure, or maybe an adapter to put it in place of your optical drive. In a desktop, you can almost certainly just install both drives, but you may want a 3.5" adapter to make mounting it easier.

Second is what the capacities of the drives are, or maybe how extensive you want the refresh to be. If the SSD is as large or larger than your existing drive, then the simple thing would be to clone the hard drive to it. An SSD may include software to do that, or there are free options. I'd say to just disconnect the HDD at that point if you're not physically swapping things around. Establish that the SSD is working as expected as your boot drive, then wipe the HDD and reconnect it or use as a USB drive.

The longer process would just be to take the HDD out, install the SSD, and set up Windows fresh. Hook up the HDD and copy things over manually as desired. That'd take longer, but might be preferable if you want to upgrade or just could stand to purge a lot of older data. It also might be the simple way to do it if your existing drive is particularly large and full.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    It'd depend a little on just how familiar you are with working on your PC. Objectively, it's not particularly difficult, with maybe a couple considerations based on hardware specifics.

First thing to look at is what your computer/case can physically accommodate. For instance, for a laptop, you'd (likely) be talking about swapping an SSD into the only available space for a drive, meaning your HDD would need an external enclosure, or maybe an adapter to put it in place of your optical drive. In a desktop, you can almost certainly just install both drives, but you may want a 3.5" adapter to make mounting it easier.

Second is what the capacities of the drives are, or maybe how extensive you want the refresh to be. If the SSD is as large or larger than your existing drive, then the simple thing would be to clone the hard drive to it. An SSD may include software to do that, or there are free options. I'd say to just disconnect the HDD at that point if you're not physically swapping things around. Establish that the SSD is working as expected as your boot drive, then wipe the HDD and reconnect it or use as a USB drive.

The longer process would just be to take the HDD out, install the SSD, and set up Windows fresh. Hook up the HDD and copy things over manually as desired. That'd take longer, but might be preferable if you want to upgrade or just could stand to purge a lot of older data. It also might be the simple way to do it if your existing drive is particularly large and full.
    I build my own computer back in 2010 and have upgraded everything outside of the CPU since then... still have an i7. I am looking at a 1 TB SSD and I'd like to do the mirror option. I am not loving the idea of reinstalling everything and closing sounds like the best and easiest approach. I will look into that... I can't believe I have gone so long with running everything of a 7200 RPM HDD.... I have heard the change to SDD is life changing.

There are a ton of free options if you are just looking to clone your current drive to another drive. If you have a spare computer with enough space, my current favorite is "UrBack". Free, easy to install and do a backup, and image afterward.

Also, a nice thing to have a backup solution for home if you ever need to recover anything.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It is, you will regret wasting hours, possibly days, weeks, or months on loading times that could have been significantly reduced with an SSD. Also, if you ever go the M.2 route, it makes your build look slightly cleaner with less cables, but that's not as big of a change.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tenkiki View Post
    It is, you will regret wasting hours, possibly days, weeks, or months on loading times that could have been significantly reduced with an SSD. Also, if you ever go the M.2 route, it makes your build look slightly cleaner with less cables, but that's not as big of a change.
    This is interesting... do you get the same performance as a 2.5?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've yet to use a m.2 but with how pricing is and if I had any real use for it I'd absolutely buy one to use over a traditional 2.5.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This is interesting... do you get the same performance as a 2.5?
    M.2 is just more situational. On a base level, M.2 itself is just an interface, one that can carry USB, SATA, or PCIe (hardware dependent, at one point it PCIe wasn't a given). The only real advantage to a SATA SSD connected via M.2 is the form factor, as mentioned. Clean setup in a desktop, or the only feasible one in a thin laptop, that sort of thing.

That said, at this point, the SATA interface is actually a bottleneck. Pretty much any vendor's SATA SSD now offers mid-500MB/sec reads and low 500MB/sec writes, on SATA 6gb. Objectively, plenty of performance for day-to-day tasks, and well past what you'd expect from most HDD setups.

PCIe connected storage can be significantly faster, and the typical route to that for an SSD now is NVMe plugged into M.2. A 970 EVO Plus, for instance, claims 3,500MB/sec reads and 3,200MB/sec writes. PCIe 4.0 drives are claiming 5,000MB/sec read max. Not sure they exactly do that all time, but, performance is up there.
    Either way, modern NVMe drives blow the doors off of SATA ones, and then some. Obviously though, just how big a deal that is will come down to usage. If you're shifting large data files around a lot, then it's a big upgrade. Browsing the web n' stuff...not so much.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

So basically if you had a choice... go M.2.

Not to be a snob, a couple hundred bucks to upgrade my computer isn't an issue, so I want to do it right.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Generally, yeah, if it's an option I'd go with M.2, particularly NVMe. If it's not something your system supports though, then a nice SATA SSD is still going to be a massive improvement over a HDD.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I build my own computer back in 2010 and have upgraded everything outside of the CPU since then... still have an i7. I am looking at a 1 TB SSD and I'd like to do the mirror option. I am not loving the idea of reinstalling everything and closing sounds like the best and easiest approach. I will look into that... I can't believe I have gone so long with running everything of a 7200 RPM HDD.... I have heard the change to SDD is life changing.
    Yeah in your case put in the SSD as a secondary, boot, clone (I like Macrium Reflect), reboot and put the SSD as the primary drive and the HDD as the secondary. If everything is working as it should you can now wipe the HDD and start using it as a secondary.

I would recommend that you use Macrium to save a restore of the HDD on an external in case the SSD fails and you need to reset.

So basically if you had a choice... go M.2.

Not to be a snob, a couple hundred bucks to upgrade my computer isn't an issue, so I want to do it right.
    If you built your tower back in 2010, I doubt that your mobo has an M.2 slot (much less an NVMe M.2 slot). You could upgrade the board, but at that point I feel like you should do an extensive rebuild since upgrading the board is pretty much 95% of the hassle of making a new tower. And now is not a bad time to do that for what it's worth. I'm also in the camp of "Doing it right" when it comes to computers to make the investment last and I rebuilt this year.

I will say that I passed on going NVMe on my latest build this year. While SATA is a bottle neck, the actual QOL improvement from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD is marginal compared to the QOL improvement of a spinning HDD to a SSD despite being a larger increase in actual speeds. In mathematical terms you're approaching an upper bound limit on quality of experience; while you can keep getting infinitely faster (up and down on graph), the actual benefit (left to right on graph) caps irrespective of that.

I decided to save myself the extra cash because for my applications (gaming, basic word processing) I just didn't need it.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Yeah in your case put in the SSD as a secondary, boot, clone (I like Macrium Reflect), reboot and put the SSD as the primary drive and the HDD as the secondary. If everything is working as it should you can now wipe the HDD and start using it as a secondary.

I would recommend that you use Macrium to save a restore of the HDD on an external in case the SSD fails and you need to reset.

If you built your tower back in 2010, I doubt that your mobo has an M.2 slot (much less an NVMe M.2 slot). You could upgrade the board, but at that point I feel like you should do an extensive rebuild since upgrading the board is pretty much 95% of the hassle of making a new tower. And now is not a bad time to do that for what it's worth. I'm also in the camp of "Doing it right" when it comes to computers to make the investment last and I rebuilt this year.

I will say that I passed on going NVMe on my latest build this year. While SATA is a bottle neck, the actual QOL improvement from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD is marginal compared to the QOL improvement of a spinning HDD to a SSD despite being a larger increase in actual speeds. In mathematical terms you're approaching an upper bound limit on quality of experience; while you can keep getting infinitely faster (up and down on graph), the actual benefit (left to right on graph) caps irrespective of that.

I decided to save myself the extra cash because for my applications (gaming, basic word processing) I just didn't need it.
    Appreciate the response.

Sounds like for what I use my computer for.. FFXI...browsing...newer random MMO's I eventually quit and go back to FFXI for.... that a basic SSD is going to be the right path for me.

Probably won't hurt to add more ram as well as I am at 8GB DDR3

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

DDR3? Who are you Fred Flintstone? I vote for a completely new build. Do it coward! You won’t

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    DDR3? Who are you Fred Flintstone? I vote for a completely new build. Do it coward! You won’t
    I literally lol'd.

I should... I could.... I probably will. I just don't know anything about what is out anymore, been out of the game for so long.

Maybe I will use my fantasy winnings to help fund it... or not when I lose this week.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's a good time to rebuild. We have done a lot of cheap Ryzen building here in this thread the last few months you can use as a basis.

That being said, I was using a 2009/2010 era i7 tower just like you until this year and it was going strong at 1080p. The only reason I upgraded is that I wanted to get 200+ FPS on my new 240Hz monitor.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I'll take a skim through the threads... if you could give me words of advice.. what you got?

What brands are a no fly zone?
    What would you highly recommend as must haves

Can I use my current windows OS or do I need to buy a new one for a completely new system?

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag