• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 219 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not necessary, but cleaning out old drivers from time to time is generally a good idea.

I generally dont have to bother for GPU tho because I only install the absolute bare minimum files from Nvidia drivers (Driver, control panel, PhsyX, and HD Audio, nothing else).

If you dont know, you can extract the Nvidia driver exe and then remove folders for what you don't want installed. Even if you're unticking everything and install just drivers, Nvidia is still throwing some unneeded background processes in there.

Edit : Like so

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Very interesting. I'll give this a run on their next update.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    nice thanks. i'm confident psu has spare power but i'll go do a calculation before making any big moves. this is a just incase for the future anyways, i'm not doing it right this instant hehe
    Also, not sure of your personal usage but overclocking does play a factor in any decision to upgrade the psu or not. If you don't then it's all good.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Also, make sure to PM me for shipping details for the 1080. Otherwise your new 1080 TI will not work.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    Very interesting. I'll give this a run on their next update.

There's a thread on reddit about it from a few months ago, I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

Can't find the thread, but found the relevant picture. Obviously if use things like a Shield controller or Optimus you'd leave that stuff, but you can remove a lot of bloat from Nvidia drivers.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Also, make sure to PM me for shipping details for the 1080. Otherwise your new 1080 TI will not work.
    haha, sending a 1080 out to the US will cost a dumb amount of money

actually i did think about repurposing it; if laptop external gpus will be a thing soon, it's not a bad idea to to appoint the 1080 to be a laptop gpu lol. bit of a waste i'm sure. that's also if i buy a laptop.

also, the reason i am in this predicament is that FFXV PC announcement. All those "1080 ti" in the promotion pic of the main characters kinda made me think "hmmmmm"

You know that disease where magazines target people's insecurities and make them buy things? I think I got hit by that lol.

I'll come to my senses and recover soon of course. i'm sure the 1080 can play it fine at 3440x1440 and the highest setting -1, or -2

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    haha, sending a 1080 out to the US will cost a dumb amount of money

actually i did think about repurposing it; if laptop external gpus will be a thing soon, it's not a bad idea to to appoint the 1080 to be a laptop gpu lol. bit of a waste i'm sure. that's also if i buy a laptop.
    if you have some old hardware lying around, you could put it into a basic config, install linux and have it as a mining rig as well.
    I have started gathering the pieces for a threadripper and am planning to leave the 980Ti I have now in with the old hardware, take out the water cooling for my old 3970x and leave it air cooled and just have it mine for something or the other, probably ethereum, I have barely started playing with it,but figure since I have all the hardware, a little extra shiney won't hurt, rather than just throw it away.
    (I started tinkering, but I still haven't got all the wallet stuff figured out, as far as I can tell, I have a wallet (offline) and an address, and as long as the address is valid, transactional data will be stored in the chain, regardless of the wallets on- or offline status, so the miner can run alone).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My closest Micro Center has VisionTek refurb 280x's for $90. I bought a pair planning to resell as the cheapest on Amazon was at the time $240 and Ebay was a steady $150. If they sell on Amazon great, but I'm most likely going to take my Z97 board and plop a G3220 I have laying around in it and mine.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Well, need to buy a roof so 1080 TI is on hold. Decided to reuse my case and just run what I have while finally getting to use the R7 1700X that's been on the shelf for about six weeks now. New motherboard and AM4 bracket for the cooler coming in tomorrow. Really excited to run benchmarks to compare it to my 4690K build.

Spoiler: show
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($348.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel - 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $58.69)
    Storage: PNY - Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $9.99)
    Storage: Seagate - Archive 8TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($227.98 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital - RE4 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $64.99)
    Video Card: VisionTek - Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
    Video Card: VisionTek - Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
    Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $62.40)
    Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Cougar - Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($25.84 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $6.99)
    Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $6.99)
    Keyboard: G.Skill - RIPJAWS KM780R Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $63.59)
    Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $24.99)
    Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud Pro Headset (Purchased For $34.99)
    Total: $1314.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-25 19:09 EDT-0400

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just got a new 34" Acer curved monitor. Screen is great, I'm using the display port adapter and sound is coming out of the monitor but not the speakers I was using before this. Anyway to have it use both?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

No, two different devices so pick one. Your speakers are probably better than the monitors, also easier to adjust.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just ordered my last part for a super budget Pentium G4560 build. This is all Zetanio's fault for posting that Asus motherboard for $32. All parts brand new and prices are what I paid. Only cpu and hdd were bought from Micro Center. I'm super excited to build this and test it.

Spoiler: show
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $53.00)
    Motherboard: Asus - Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $32.00)
    Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $59.99)
    Storage: Toshiba - P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $26.49)
    Video Card: XFX - Radeon R7 360 2GB Core Edition Video Card (Purchased For $39.99)
    Case: Rosewill - NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $22.99)
    Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $9.99)
    Total: $244.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-14 21:41 EDT-0400

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I posted a while back about my 1070 dying after around 15 months, I returned it the first time - they rejected the RMA saying it worked ( I tested it on 3 diff systems , and also took it to local computer repair service to demo in their testbed and it didn't work either ), I send it back a second time telling them they're talking shit, and someone at their office stomps on the mounting bracket and bends it and they reject it for "physical damage".

Currently written a letter to someone in their management team, awaiting a response.

Guess I'm going to have to go the small claims route on their asses.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

After my awful experience of a buyer on Amazon claiming I sent them a DOA BNIB psu I've started recording every little thing I do. Sucks this is what we have to do anymore to protect ourselves whether as a buyer or seller because the former can be idiots and not understand how things work and the latter doesn't want to hold up their end of the deal (warranty).

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yup, you need to photo and video everything at every stage of the process. Pics/video when unboxing, pics/video of the parts before you send them back, pics of the packaging of the parts, etc.

This is from a company I thought was reputable in the UK though..... but apparently they're a bunch of scumbags.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Billy Bobe
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Hey, quick question, I have a MSI Z170A Pro that I am certain I will not use at this point. I never even opened it. I am planning to sell it, but really have no idea what it's worth.

I don't know much about parts and pricing, so I was hoping someone could give me a price range I should be trying to be selling it at? Is it even worth selling?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bilopdop View Post
    Hey, quick question, I have a MSI Z170A Pro that I am certain I will not use at this point. I never even opened it. I am planning to sell it, but really have no idea what it's worth.

I don't know much about parts and pricing, so I was hoping someone could give me a price range I should be trying to be selling it at? Is it even worth selling?
    Amazon's listing is $146. You'd probably get bites on /r/hardwareswap and Hardforum.com if you have an account with 100+ posts for the latter.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Billy Bobe
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Never really sold anything before. I'll probably use my friends Ebay account? Not sure where to sell it yet.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If selling on Ebay, document document document. PIctures, video, etc. Ebayers can be absolute scum. Protect yourself.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Billy Bobe
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping to get at least $100 as I only paid ~$90 when I bought it. New ones on Ebay look to be at ~$300? Why so much?

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag