• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1521 to 1540 of 1637
  1. #1521
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,174
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    While playing particularly High Bitrate 4k video, either in VLC or through plex, the video is stuttering and glitching. I don't know what's causing the bottleneck. The video card is pretty old. A 660Ti. Here are the rest of the specs of the PC. Any suggestions on what I need to upgrade to get smooth playback?

    Also, not sure if related, but the monitor is a 1440p monitor. But it skips when I also stream to a 4k TV.

    Here's the PC specs.


    And a video of it stuttering. Infinity war. 4k. Bitrate 46Mbps

    https://youtu.be/xRtmjT1majI

    Here is my what the video looks like on my 4k TV sent via Plex server at original quality via wired connection.

    https://youtu.be/hgzNoaBWpy8

    I downloaded WMC-HC and it played fine, but with the CPU at 100% usage. This leads me to believe the GPU is passing off the decoding to the software and using the CPU instead of decoding natively. Which I don't think the 660ti natively decodes HEVC (h265).

    So, if I buy a GPU that'll hardware decode HEVC/h265, like a GTX 1070, I should be good, right? If so, the 20xx series needs to come out soon and drop the prices of the 10xx series....

  2. #1522
    Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,775
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    My vote is your graphics card. I also run into stuttering issues very occasionally using VLC when streaming my monitor to the TV via Googlecast. It's more like a slight stutter every 40 minutes or so.

  3. #1523
    2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,994
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Yeah your 660 only supports x264, not 265 ( HEVC ).

    the 900 series supports 8bit and 10bit hevc, the 1000 series supports 12bit hevc.

  4. #1524
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,174
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    Do you guys know if I am running a Plex server on my PC, will it use the GPU to transcode. I'd hate to buy an expensive video card only to fall back on cpu for transcoding (which also doesn't natively support HEVC)

  5. #1525
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,360
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    Blog Entries
    3

    Speaking of Plex, as of two days ago I cannot play anything from Plex at work. My home network is fine. rawr.

  6. #1526

    My plex still works, using it now lol.... that said i don't update my plex server unless there is a problem.

    And i don't know if plex will use a GPU or if you can tell it to, i know it kills my cpu and i don't see anything to change it over.

  7. #1527
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,174
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    I bought a 1060 from Best buy to test. If it doesn't work, I'll return it. If it does work, I'll return it and rebuy when the 20xx series drop later this month or next.

  8. #1528
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    23,174
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

    I've come to the conclusion that Plex is fucking garbage and I hate it.

  9. #1529
    2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,994
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

  10. #1530
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,618
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    HardOCP might be the only hardware site out there that has the balls to stand up to nVidia like this. I just hope AMD can finally get back in the video card game at some point; nVidia needs some real competition.

  11. #1531
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,360
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    Blog Entries
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    HardOCP might be the only hardware site out there that has the balls to stand up to nVidia like this. I just hope AMD can finally get back in the video card game at some point; nVidia needs some real competition.
    For real. I was so disappointed to sell my Vega 64 but with 1080's tanking in price I had to sell the more valuable card. I too want AMD to step up. Competition is good for all of us.

  12. #1532
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,857
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Anyone buy a high-end KVM recently?

    I need to be able to swap between a Mac and PC, with dual monitor support for both. USB for both, along with one of the 2 monitors 34" curved from Acer. In addition the keyboard is a Blackwidow keyboard.

  13. #1533
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    31,629
    BG Level
    10

    PC Build Advice/Review II: 1070 or Bust.

    My G’s pleas help, I’m building my AMD machine and need wisdom.

    any thoughts on MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard? I’m building my AMD machine and struggling to pick a motherboard. I’m not overly concerned about budget but I don’t think I computer hard enough to need anything super high end, that being said I’d really like to take advantage of Microcenter’s $30 bundle with processor.

    Processor wise I had been leaning ryzen 2600x but now I’m thinking maybe I should roll the dice on 2600 and try to OC? I’ve never OC’d. Will it be an easy thing to do? Oh god I’ve really stepped in it this time.

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/5...md-motherboard

    My closest Microcenter is Fairfax VA if you want to check the store page to see my other options. God bless.

  14. #1534
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,360
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    Blog Entries
    3

    I would definitely go 2600 and OC the piss out of it. You can OC on the B450 boards too but the X series usually sees higher clocks and more features overall. Also, make sure to get compatible high speed ram. Ryzen LOVES high speed ram.

    I noticed at your store they have an open box Asus Crosshair VI Wifi for $119. If it was me I'd meticulously check the board and if everything looks good that's what I would choose. I've used Asrock, MSI, and Asus on the Ryzen platform and I'd rank them Asus, Asrock, and MSI for ease of use within BIOS. If you have any need for help putting it together or overclocking (I use an Asus X370 Prime) I can be available.

  15. #1535
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,243
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    My G’s pleas help, I’m building my AMD machine and need wisdom.

    any thoughts on MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard? I’m building my AMD machine and struggling to pick a motherboard. I’m not overly concerned about budget but I don’t think I computer hard enough to need anything super high end, that being said I’d really like to take advantage of Microcenter’s $30 bundle with processor.

    Processor wise I had been leaning ryzen 2600x but now I’m thinking maybe I should roll the dice on 2600 and try to OC? I’ve never OC’d. Will it be an easy thing to do? Oh god I’ve really stepped in it this time.

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/5...md-motherboard

    My closest Microcenter is Fairfax VA if you want to check the store page to see my other options. God bless.
    One thing that may be worth investigating is finding some fast DDR4 ram on sale now right now and finding the cheapest X470 or X370 board that has said RAM on the QVL.

    I am using the Gigabyte X470 board (Aorus) with a 2600. It's cheaper on Newegg than Microcenter right now ($104 + 10 rebate), but it doesn't beat the Microcenter $30 bundle discount. However the 2600 has gone on sale a couple of times so if you want to shop around for the CPU you might end up saving a little.

    http://www.microcenter.com/product/5...md-motherboard

    Not many differences from yours except that it comes with another M2/NVMe slots instead of a short PCI slot plus a heatspreader, and two of the PCI-E slots are steel plated instead of one.

  16. #1536
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    31,629
    BG Level
    10

    Thx boys so I’m definitely gonna go 2600, I’ll shop around for RAM today and go from there.

    Gred, the differences you mention in the motherboards, are those all good things? I really don’t know shit lol.

    Makes me too scared to check out an open box cuz I wouldn’t really know what to look for.

  17. #1537
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,627
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Yoooo I'm doing a ryzen build for a friend soon and have no idea ryzen shit.

    He has a case SSD monitor etc already. Just needs this stuff and a 1070/1080 when/if the prices drop. We haven't decided on a cpu fan either cause he won't do water/aio so it'll prob be something that isn't noctua colored.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/boyiee/saved/vnTr6h

    Looking at places to save a few doll hairs and I'm thinking CPU. Is my understanding of ryzen correct that the X Is like the Intel K? He has no need to OC but he wants a build that will last him as long as possible. His current PC is 10yrs old.

  18. #1538
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    31,629
    BG Level
    10

    It’s my understanding that the ryzen stock fans are good enough if you aren’t OC’ing

  19. #1539
    2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,994
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Yoooo I'm doing a ryzen build for a friend soon and have no idea ryzen shit.
    He has a case SSD monitor etc already. Just needs this stuff and a 1070/1080 when/if the prices drop. We haven't decided on a cpu fan either cause he won't do water/aio so it'll prob be something that isn't noctua colored.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/boyiee/saved/vnTr6h

    Looking at places to save a few doll hairs and I'm thinking CPU. Is my understanding of ryzen correct that the X Is like the Intel K? He has no need to OC but he wants a build that will last him as long as possible. His current PC is 10yrs old.
    No.

    Ryzen X simply has higher base and turbo speeds than the non-X versions, and comes with a better fan to handle it.
    The fans that come with Ryzen models are pretty great though and no need to go aftermarket at all ( unlike Intel where it's mandatory even if you don't OC ).

  20. #1540
    Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,627
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    No.

    Ryzen X simply has higher base and turbo speeds than the non-X versions, and comes with a better fan to handle it.
    The fans that come with Ryzen models are pretty great though and no need to go aftermarket at all ( unlike Intel where it's mandatory even if you don't OC ).
    For real?

    Then maybe we'll just leave it at that and get her built without a fan. If he decides on one there's a be quiet cooler that looks okay.

    Just waiting to see what gpu prices do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. PC Build Advice/Review Thread
    By SathFenrir in forum Tech
    Replies: 3324
    Last Post: 2016-04-17, 21:26
  2. New PC build for retrogaming - in dire need of advice
    By Retrieving/C.D/Searain in forum Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2010-07-15, 08:20
  3. Building PC, Need Advice
    By Knyghtmayre in forum Tech
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2010-06-23, 19:32
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2010-06-22, 21:09
  5. Am I doing my new pc build right?
    By pugnax179 in forum Tech
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2010-06-04, 11:40
  6. Building a PC, need advice on processor :3
    By VyseyOfSeraph in forum Tech
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2009-05-05, 18:09