FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    I've had similar issues with a 980Ti that was damaged by a bad power supply. Hopefully that's not the case with your cards, but it is one possibility to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Power supply should be good. I do have a second PC I can test in and was going to put the second card in that later today. More than likely these mining cards are just dead. One other thing I do plan to try is updating the BIOS on them. The last ditch effort will be baking them.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Big happy update on the 2x R9 380 4GB cards I bought. I waited until late in the evening to give the card another go. I also flashed BIOS to the newest available, lowered voltage, lowered power limit, and raised the fan curve in Wattman. Low and behold the card was running and I let Heaven benchmark loop for roughly 30 minutes without issue! Fired up Far Cry 5 and ran the bench without issue!! Even averaged in the low 50s fps wise on Ultra at 1080p.

The second card does not have such a happy ending. I followed the same as above but one fan on this cooler is bad. if I put it above 1750 rpms it rattles like crazy and it's wobbly. I was able to get one pass thru Heaven eventually, but a few minutes later it started to artifact and then crashed Heaven and Wattman. I watched closely to the temp and it was close to 70c when it crashed. The cooler cannot cool the card properly. Hope is not lost! I have laying around a Kraken G10 and a Corsair H50! I get it installed and just do a quick test using the motherboard, ram, and PSU I'll be using for this build and an old HDD from the build that used this motherboard. Windows fired up and everything overall was doing what it should, except the Corsair H50. Pump is LOUD. I hadn't used this guy in over a year and it was in my wife's desktop at the time so who knows if it was noisy for awhile and she just didn't notice. Not to worry because Corsair is awesome and has a 5 year warranty on their AIO kits so I'll be sending it in.

Oh, forgot a very important part. I contacted the seller to do a return because eh, even if these cards work how long realistically will they last. A week? A month? He responds almost immediately saying to keep the cards and refunded minus shipping. Normally I'd contact him with an offer or something since I got one of them working but as mentioned, who knows for how long. Since these cards will require we'll say supervision & maintenance, I will not put in any build I'll sell or sell them. I'm going to attempt to crossfire them once I get a new AIO but that's also assuming the internet is right about the motherboard I have being capable.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Took a few pictures of my completed build. At least the front side is pretty clean.

Think I'm just going to keep the 1070 TI. Haven't even opened the 980 TI.

EDIT: Need to flatten the dust filter for the front fans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag