Page 92 of 219 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast
    Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    That is actually a great idea.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-nesn/10482140

8TB for 195 CAD comes to 0.024/GB. Might go that route instead.

Thank you
    In the US the WD "EasyStore" is the drive that's easiest to extract HDDs from. I can't vouch for other models. But I got an 8TB for $125 USD last year that I've been using as my data and infrequently played games drive.

I had to use tape on my drive to get it to work outside the enclosure (PSU is an EVGA 750W) but it was relatively simple to do. Just had to spend the money on the electrical tape.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've shucked 16 of those drives over the last two years, and 13 of them are white-labels. The first two I ever did were Reds, then a white, then another Red, then whites since then. It's fair to say most of them are white-labels now.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Pretty sure whites are just relabeled reds, but the purpose is to prevent people from buying the externals just to shuck and resell the bare drive as a new red online. There's probably a reason why they are using reds or relabeled-reds in these drives instead of standard blues or greens but it's not significant enough to ever be worried.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Pretty sure whites are just relabeled reds, but the purpose is to prevent people from buying the externals just to shuck and resell the bare drive as a new red online. There's probably a reason why they are using reds or relabeled-reds in these drives instead of standard blues or greens but it's not significant enough to ever be worried.
    Exactly right. Also, it prevents people from shucking, then claiming warranty later when the drive fails.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I mean I kept the enclosure and if I need to claim warranty I'm putting it back in haha

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I mean I kept the enclosure and if I need to claim warranty I'm putting it back in haha
    Some people (ahem...) don't have your patience for those little clips. >.>;;

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Some people (ahem...) don't have your patience for those little clips. >.>;;
    sup?

Got a white, and didnt even have to mess with the power pin on the drive for it to power up. Hell yeah.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I bought a Dell S2716DG a while back since I wanted to see what all the hype surrounding Gsync was about. It's pretty nice! On the downside, contrast is mediocre and black levels are terrible.

Anyone have a monitor they would recommend to address that shortfall? The 1440p @ 27" is about a perfect size for my use case, and I'd like to keep either Gsync or high-compatibility Freesync. I've looked into OLED monitors but they borderline don't exist, and doubly so at 1440p/144Hz.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    I bought a Dell S2716DG a while back since I wanted to see what all the hype surrounding Gsync was about. It's pretty nice! On the downside, contrast is mediocre and black levels are terrible.

Anyone have a monitor they would recommend to address that shortfall? The 1440p @ 27" is about a perfect size for my use case, and I'd like to keep either Gsync or high-compatibility Freesync. I've looked into OLED monitors but they borderline don't exist, and doubly so at 1440p/144Hz.
    Did you do any calibration? What panel revision do you have? If it's the same as mine I can send you my calibration settings or link you to ones for your panel.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Calibration might help but these problems sound a lot like you want IPS colors. There are a few 1440p/144Hz IPS out there but only one that is also 1ms iirc.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Did you do any calibration? What panel revision do you have? If it's the same as mine I can send you my calibration settings or link you to ones for your panel.
    It's not calibrated yet, no; I know Microcenter sells the appropriate equipment but it didn't occur to me that a $500 monitor would ship inadequately calibrated. What information do you need to determine production run?

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

It's not calibrated yet, no; I know Microcenter sells the appropriate equipment but it didn't occur to me that a $500 monitor would ship inadequately calibrated. What information do you need to determine production run?
    It would be on a label on the box, something like A7, A8, A9 most likely. Might also be on the back of the monitor itself with the serial number.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    It would be on a label on the box, something like A7, A8, A9 most likely. Might also be on the back of the monitor itself with the serial number.
    Looks like it's an early production model, A02.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Looks like it's an early production model, A02.
    Not the best news, unfortunately, everything before A7 is known to be problematic. You said a "while back" so I'm assuming it's well past any return window there might have been?

Go to https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/article...profiles.htm#d and find the model number, there are two .icc files you can try loading in (control panel > color management). I'm thinking with an A2 they may not be *accurate* but I'm betting they will still look a good deal better than what you have now. Each of those also list what the monitor should be set at (brightness, contrast, and if custom color, the RGB values). Do a full reset of the monitor's color settings before starting any of this.

Here's a link to my calibration profile. Standard color, 45% bright, 80% contrast (45% bright is "correct" but I usually leave it at 40%). At some point I need to do a more in-depth calibration that uses custom color but this is still 85-90% of perfect so I haven't bothered just yet.

I hope one of these helps you out!

Edit: also go to the nvidia control panel, adjust desktop color settings, and make sure it's not using nvidia settings ("other applications control" is correct). check video color and video image to make sure those are player controlled, and not nvidia.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I gave it a shot; while the colors do seem to be improved, the issues of poor black levels and loss of detail in dark environments remain. I should note that I had to dial in Brightness closer to the tftcentral link (25%); higher than that was a bit blinding. You mentioned that everything before A7 was known to be problematic, was this what you were referring to?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quick look on pcpartpicker.com shows the cheapest 2560x1440 144hz IPS 1ms monitor is $390. Two other are $600. All 27". I've been using a VA panels for the last two years and have zero issue with them. One, HP Pavilion, is 7ms. My current, which is a Monoprice 32" 2560x1440 144hz curved VA is fantastic. I can't recall if it's 5ms or 7ms. The product page doesn't exist anymore and I can't find it. I don't competitive game or play pvp shooters really so for me it made sense to try this one out at $300.

I'm an idiot and bought a Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4k 1ms TN panel because it was stupid cheap. My original thought was to sell my 32" HP Pavilion and use the Samsung as my secondary. I couldn't even get a $150 offer for it. And since I'm a boner I lost the receipt for the Samsung. So I have this brand new monitor sitting on a shelf and have no idea what to price it at on CL or FB Marketplace, which I'd have to make a FB account for.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I gave it a shot; while the colors do seem to be improved, the issues of poor black levels and loss of detail in dark environments remain. I should note that I had to dial in Brightness closer to the tftcentral link (25%); higher than that was a bit blinding. You mentioned that everything before A7 was known to be problematic, was this what you were referring to?
    Far as I know, the bigger problem was extremely poor color-banding and an inability to display gradients. But a panel rev that early ... I honestly haven't seen much discussion of it. A04-A06 were fairly widespread at one point.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah, a bit of early adopter pain there I suppose. Thanks for taking the time to dig up those resources trying to help me out though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Soooo my motherboard ( gigabyte ab 350 - 1st gen ryzen ) bios has been updated and supports all 3rd gen cpus including the 3900x....

I was assuming I was SOL and/or the thermals on vrm wouldn't allow it but the 3700X has 65W TDP and my current cpu ( 1700 ) is also 65W TDP - the 1800x was 105 ish tdp.
    My board should be able to handle it, without blowing up.... do I just buy a 3700x here, or do I offload my rig for a decent price and just buy a new system with 3900x+5700XT?

current system is 1700, 16gb of cl14 3200 , 1070 ti, with ssd+hd in a nice nzxt case.

It's more convenient to just upgrade the cpu and sell the old one.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Upgrade and sell. Ryzen line is still super competitive and worth prices in all Gens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag