• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 219 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks to Khalmado, I bought that same card second hand off Reddit for $130. Major steal!

R/hardwareswap

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So my dad has a HP Pavilion 500 desktop that he doesn't need. It's in great shape and I want to give it to my niece and nephew (12, 14 yrs) for mild gaming. The computer they currently have is ancient and would stutter playing minecraft. Anyway, this HP has 1 pci-express 2.0 gpu slot. And its a tiny case so I can't get a big card in there. I was thinking a MSI GeForce GT 730 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA73M6XS9657 . The PSU is 300w and this card only draws 49w, is that ok? I haven't had to work with such a bare bones system in a while so I want to make sure there isn't an overdraw of power or if I should pursue another GPU. Thanks!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You'd probably be better off going for a GT 1030 instead, which has replaced the GT 730 on the market and is significantly faster. It's still a small card with a low power draw. A GT 1050 is a major step up, and still not a giant card, but does require a bit more power (far as I know they're less of a guaranteed thing with prebuilt systems and smaller PSUs).

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That sounds great, thank you!

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I'm on a Ryzen 1700 with 16gigs of ram. I'd really like to move to 32gig for running VM's and giving Plex a RAMDisk.

Current kit is the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 which is hitting 3000 speed without a problem. I can get a matching 16gig kit for $180 which, right now, is a really good price. It's not Samsung b-die though and I'm worried about the performance penalty that Ryzen usually sees with more than 2 sticks of ram.

Any thoughts if this is a decent idea or if I'm going to need to invest in b-die to not hurt myself too much?

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I've been experiencing issues with the quality of power coming out of the wall going into my desktop tower, so I'm looking into getting a UPS to prevent the power strip breaker from tripping again or dirty power from damaging the hardware. What sort of UPS should I be looking at? PSU on the desktop is 850 watts for a 980ti/6700k combo.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

What are you trying to do? Just account for uneven power from the wall or run your pc for a few minutes after the power goes out? If its the former then you don't need a crazy large or expensive UPS to just normalize the flow from the wall, but if you want to run a pc for a few minutes after a power outage prepare to spend quite a bit.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Mostly the former. I'd be fine with a short duration of backup power in the ~5 minute range, just enough to wrap up and shut down properly. I also live near a MicroCenter if that makes any difference.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Any budget friendly CPU options?

Built my PC about 4 years ago and even then just got something that would "Get the job done"

Constantly hitting high CPUsage when I'm doing something like streaming so I wanted to know if there's anything that would be cheap enough but still a clear upgrade to my Intel(R)core(TM)i5-4670K; 3.4ghz

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post

Built my PC about 4 years ago and even then just got something that would "Get the job done"

Constantly hitting high CPUsage when I'm doing something like streaming so I wanted to know if there's anything that would be cheap enough but still a clear upgrade to my Intel(R)core(TM)i5-4670K; 3.4ghz
    What's your budget looking like fam

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Make sure you check that the new CPU is compatible with your mobo too.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post

I wouldn't think that cpu would be giving issues, especially because you aren't playing the most demanding games while streaming right? Maybe give full specs of your current build and we'll see what we can do!

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I wouldn't think that cpu would be giving issues, especially because you aren't playing the most demanding games while streaming right? Maybe give full specs of your current build and we'll see what we can do!
    I stream to two platforms at once; directly (not using a re-stream type deal). I'm trying to grow my twitch, but in the meantime I also stream on FB live because that's the only spot I can get more than 2 viewers at a time.

As far as budget goes, I'm just window shopping for now and seeing what options are at this point.

as far as specs go

https://pastebin.com/vZdhY2z1

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Software encoding your stream can be pretty intensive. If you've got a capable nVidia card, you could try using NVENC. If you already are, or don't have an nVidia card that can do it, a clear CPU upgrade for you would probably cost $200ish (Core i7 6700k on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...epid=217572652)

You could also consider going to a Ryzen box, that CPU tends to offer more per dollar on work-like tasks, like encoding video, due to their high core count (I have experience with this, I love my Ryzen box).

8GB memory is about the minimum you can run for your purposes, also.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I don't have access to pastebin so I can't tell whatcha got.

I'm about to start recording and streaming myself. Depending on how powerful your current GPU is, probably looking at about $400+ for cpu/mb/16gb ram on a DDR4 board.

While my CPU isn't budget (R7 1700x) I'm very interested to see how it does. I plan to do twitch and record using OBS to upload later to YT.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I don't have access to pastebin so I can't tell whatcha got.

I'm about to start recording and streaming myself. Depending on how powerful your current GPU is, probably looking at about $400+ for cpu/mb/16gb ram on a DDR4 board.

While my CPU isn't budget (R7 1700x) I'm very interested to see how it does. I plan to do twitch and record using OBS to upload later to YT.
    It will do pretty well. I stream from time to time with a Ryzen 7 1700 and it works fine.

Cream's running Windows 10 on a Core i5 4670K with 8GB memory and a Radeon R9 200-series GPU.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    It will do pretty well. I stream from time to time with a Ryzen 7 1700 and it works fine.

Cream's running Windows 10 on a Core i5 4670K with 8GB memory and a Radeon R9 200-series GPU.
    I'm replacing my AIO on my CPU and will put up some new pics. Pretty much different rig than before. Running a Vega 64 Limited and that fucker gets loud.

Supposedly Ryzen is better for streamers vs the I5 equivalent. I wish I had a I5 to play with. I'd imagine adding another 8GB ram would help a bit.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Threw this together online a while back for a friend but he hadn't been able to make any of the purchases. Still relevant? What to change?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mLN9hq

He's going to build it in handfuls at a time. Prob no gpu right now, cpu/mobo/ram/box first probably.

edit: he plays wow, pubg prob, ow prob, bf5 prob.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Still perfectly viable, imo. You can probably find a used GPU for a reasonable price now. That build is lacking in bulk storage though, unless 500GB is enough for everything...

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Still perfectly viable, imo. You can probably find a used GPU for a reasonable price now. That build is lacking in bulk storage though, unless 500GB is enough for everything...
    I think he's got a hdd and psu he'll reuse or something.

Honestly I don't get bulk storage. Haven't needed more than 500gb in 15 years. But I do have an OS SSD and game SSD.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag