BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    It's about $100 less than a brand-new, non-refurb. So I'd say, decent deal, but not the best deal.
    I'm leery of FreeSync because I'm never buying an AMD GPU.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It'll still work fine on an nVidia card. Pretty good price for a 4k 28", honestly, you just run the risk of defects, being a refurb and all. I didn't look at the return policy.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

90 day Samsung policy since it's a factory refurb.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If I was in the market, I'd bite. I can't justify upgrading from a 27" 1440p to a 28" 4k though, especially since I'm running a 1070.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm on the fence because I'd need a huge GPU upgrade to get 4K running on my machine.

I'm gonna sit this one out and get a 1440 screen in a few months.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I'm leery of FreeSync because I'm never buying an AMD GPU.
    Oh and about this, never say never, Zetbro. Dominance in CPU and GPU area has always shifted back and forth between Intel/nVidia/AMD, and we're due for a resurgence. Zen is supposedly the Truth, maybe Vega will be too!

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I been hearing about AMD for years.

Never used a single product of theirs.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My favorite AMD product was my blue-core 1GHz Thunderbird. That thing overclocked to almost 1.4GHz on just air. I got it past 1.4 using a Peltier, but I didn't view that as feasible for long-term use.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Alright pc gurus. I have come in need of your expertise and counseling once more. I haven't upgraded the desktop I built some years ago, but ever since my laptop crashed, I feel like I need to have it as my backup if not main work station. That, on top of the fact that I'm really incorporating 3D into my workflow now.

Current desktop build:
    Motherboard (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157293)
    i5 Processor (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819116504)
    PSU (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m%20pro%20600w)
    RAM (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820220557)
    CPU Cooler (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835103065)
    Tower (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811119233)

This is what my mentor's using, and what I'm aiming for:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/w...wl_rlist_go_v?

Ash has a beastly pc that he's constantly upgrading. I don't need that much power...yet. I'm using Cinema 4D and Octane in my pipeline now, so I do need more rendering and GPU power than I currently have. My desktop isn't as strong as my laptop, so I want to beef it up steadily.

I know I need to upgrade to at least an i7 processor. I didn't do it back then because it'd just came out when I was building it and I didn't want to drop $1200 or whatever on it alone. As for GPU, I was thinking I need to get a 980ti at the very least. I want to get two at some point, but I can't break my wallet juuuuust yet.

My question is whether or not you guys think I can continue to use anything I already have or if there's anything else I should upgrade to when I pull the trigger. On top of that, I was thinking I need to get a quality monitor as well (27~30" or so), so if you guys have a recommendation there, fire away!

Thanks!

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

On the contrary, I'm going to say you won't gain that much from upgrading your CPU. There's different flavors of i7's though, you certainly don't need to spend $1200 to get an i7. 7700K CPU's are between $300 and $350, depending on where you buy and what deals are to be had.

But if you do get a new CPU, you'll need a new motherboard and memory as well.

I'd personally hold off on all that and just buy a GTX 1080 video card and a quality monitor to go with it. I've never done non-gaming 3D work on a gaming 3D card, though.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Would rather do 1440p widescreen over sub 32" 4k but that's just me.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Would rather do 1440p widescreen over sub 32" 4k but that's just most.
    this

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'd probably wait a couple of weeks, see how Ryzen turns out, then review the whole question over again.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

So, I haven't bought a laptop in like ~10 years and have no idea what to look for really. I already have a gaming desktop so this would mainly be for watching movies/streaming, skype, maybe light gaming? and the portability for when I go back to school. And for travel I guess since right now I only have my phone.

This Acer Aspire seems pretty good for the price.

I'm ok with paying $550 I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something with similar specs/performance for a better deal. Thanks!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://www.techbargains.com/category...puters/laptops
    https://slickdeals.net/deals/laptop/...=newest&page=1

Bunch of listings for deals, though the deals are all over the place specs wise.

Research a bit since it's an expensive decision. Look for a machine with a 10 series nvidia card in it if you can, they're the same chips as the desktop versions (with slight downclocks). 1050/1050ti is good value in a laptop, 960m is good also if the laptop is cheaper.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Like orinthia just said, 10 series Nvidia cards are a massive leap in terms of laptop performance. If you're committed to having a laptop with a discrete GPU for the occasional gaming session, 10xx cards will be a very worthwhile investment.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    http://www.techbargains.com/category...puters/laptops
    https://slickdeals.net/deals/laptop/...=newest&page=1

Bunch of listings for deals, though the deals are all over the place specs wise.

Research a bit since it's an expensive decision. Look for a machine with a 10 series nvidia card in it if you can, they're the same chips as the desktop versions (with slight downclocks). 1050/1050ti is good value in a laptop, 960m is good also if the laptop is cheaper.
    Thanks. Yeah I'm not in a huge rush so I'll just keep checking for deals for the time being. Machines with a ~1050 seem mostly around the $800 range though.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm looking for some advice as for getting a new PC. My current one I've had for close to 6 years and while it runs fine, it's definitely a little dated.

The main feature I want the new PC to do is be able to run 4K HDR as I just got a new TV and only my PS4Pro makes use of it fully at the moment. I'm reading I should go the GTX1070 route for video card but is that the only option? Is it even an option? Can it run HDR?

Also, I haven't looked into PC's for... 6 years, so what sort of processor/processing power should I expect to be the standard or above average nowadays? I don't need a top of the line machine, but I wanted something that'll do the job well for another 6 years lol. And on top of that, any other recommendations or things I should keep in mind while shopping around? I'm aiming to buy the PC in around 2~3 months time.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    I'm looking for some advice as for getting a new PC. My current one I've had for close to 6 years and while it runs fine, it's definitely a little dated.

The main feature I want the new PC to do is be able to run 4K HDR as I just got a new TV and only my PS4Pro makes use of it fully at the moment. I'm reading I should go the GTX1070 route for video card but is that the only option? Is it even an option? Can it run HDR?

Also, I haven't looked into PC's for... 6 years, so what sort of processor/processing power should I expect to be the standard or above average nowadays? I don't need a top of the line machine, but I wanted something that'll do the job well for another 6 years lol. And on top of that, any other recommendations or things I should keep in mind while shopping around? I'm aiming to buy the PC in around 2~3 months time.

Right now: wait 2-3 weeks and ask again, AMD is about to launch Ryzen (new CPU series), and the leaks thus far are highly favorable suggesting the CPU fight is about to start right back up (but we won't know for sure until actual reviews etc. start coming on the 28th).
    I am planning to build as well this spring, and am currently waiting to see if the leaks are accurate.

The rumours are that AMD is going to be hitting Intel pretty hard in the price segment on all tiers, bringing back the glory days from over a decade ago when there was actual competition in the HEDT consumer CPU space on all levels.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ohhh! That's promising. I was thinking I'd be paying around $1500 (Canadian), but if the prices drop by around May~June, then all the better!

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag