FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal...e_x570p_20999/

Get this. Use savings for a good gpu.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Insane. Kinda wish they had a better processor to go with that mobo.

Thinking about a new computer build that goes with my current 1080Ti. Having issues with the current computer and I've had enough issues (I still have to disable BD_Protchot to keep my processor running at 4 Ghz, and now I'm getting various issues that I think might be related to the RAM) that I'm thinking jumping to a new PC might be good for me. Considering working with a Ryzen 3700x but I'm pondering how much I need to replace beyond the Mobo. Thinking of refreshing everything but the GFX and SDD/HDD.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

So using one of Krandor's builds as a guide, I randomly put this in.... thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jRPybX

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If you are just gaming and maybe streaming the below would be more than sufficient with the added bonus of 4TB storage and $600 less out of your pocket. The AMD 5700XT is a STRONG card.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
    Case: In Win 101C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.00 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA B3 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.42 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1182.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 20:25 EDT-0400

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Insane. Kinda wish they had a better processor to go with that mobo.

Thinking about a new computer build that goes with my current 1080Ti. Having issues with the current computer and I've had enough issues (I still have to disable BD_Protchot to keep my processor running at 4 Ghz, and now I'm getting various issues that I think might be related to the RAM) that I'm thinking jumping to a new PC might be good for me. Considering working with a Ryzen 3700x but I'm pondering how much I need to replace beyond the Mobo. Thinking of refreshing everything but the GFX and SDD/HDD.
    I have that CPU and I have it overclocked with all cores to 4.1Ghz

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    If you are just gaming and maybe streaming the below would be more than sufficient with the added bonus of 4TB storage and $600 less out of your pocket. The AMD 5700XT is a STRONG card.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
    Case: In Win 101C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.00 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA B3 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.42 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1182.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 20:25 EDT-0400
    So I bought all the parts here because despite using computers all my life, I've never built one myself. Put it together, and the thing won't turn on. Or rather, it turns on for one second and turns back off. Did a lot of searching online to narrow down some troubleshooting and discovered it's either the PSU, MB or the CPU. Further investigated and even plugged in a sepearate MOBO from an old Desktop I have sitting around and I was able to cross out the PSU having issues. So now it's between the CPU and MOBO. Because the MOBO gets light for a split second, I'm thinking there's a short somewhere but because the other desktop's cpu is not physically compatitible with my brand new MOBO, I can't further narrow it down to make sure. Anyone have any advice?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I can't say this is the problem, but one time I built a PC reusing the case I had and the new stuff just refused to power on. Ended up buying a new case. Check any contacts the case makes with the motherboard or fasteners.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I would double check that everything is plugged in and seated correctly. That sort of error could come from too much power draw (like, for instance, if you don't have PCIe power connected to the GPU). The board may not think you have a CPU fan spinning and/or be seeing a heat spike if the cooler isn't seated. RAM might be half-in. That sort of stuff.

GPU failure could also cause the machine not to boot, so if you have a different one to try that might be worth exploring.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you have a Fry's electronics near you, or some other computer store that sells individual parts, they might be willing to test if it's your CPU or your board with tester parts they have.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

In my experience it's something isn't seated right or the motherboard doesn't think the CPU is getting cooled. I've had times where I'd swear up and down I seated the CPU cooler correctly but that indeed was the issue. I've also had maybe twice brand new boards be bad out of the box. Happens. Never had a bad PSU out of the box but my sample brand is small. I always stick with mainly EVGA but will buy of course Seasonic and if the price and model is right Corsair.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I am actually having a similar issue with a family member's computer (which is a hand-me-down from myself). It loads to the BIOS splash then nothing else. Tried reseating the RAM, didn't work. Took out one stick and it worked. Next day wasn't booting again. Reseated the RAM again, nothing. Switched the sticks, nothing. Put both sticks in, nothing. Took it home to tinker with it with some other parts, booted just fine as soon as I plugged it in...

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Never went AMD before (well, low end for my PLEX server), so looking for feedback and suggestion on a really good EATX full tower:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Weltal...d/#view=JgwQqs

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

What does your Plex build look like? I was thinking about making one since I have a lot of co-workers that stream off a server I'm running off my main PC. I use pretty average quality 1080p content for that server. Like, 10mbps bit rates. I use that server for kids movies, TV series, and a large video library I share with quite a few people. Just plan to stick a few 3.5" HDDs in it I have lying around and let it idle on plex. I use a shieldTV and Kodi to play all my uncompressed 4k content.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Top of my head:

MB: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...-D3H-rev-10#kf
    Storage OS: SSD for OS
    Storage Media: 2x WD Red Pros 8TB RAID 0
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-core
    RAM: 8 GB of something cheap
    PSU: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    GPU: Something for $40 that booted Windows

If you plan to RAID anything, I would go with a controller or just get something other than a Gigabyte MB. I have not had good experiences with Gigabyte. Won't ever purchase again.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jinnulla/saved/c6dQqs

MY GPU just shit the bed... 770 lasted me a long time and I'm not proud of it. Got a promotion earlier this year and the bankai account has been growing.

Any recommendations for something maybe... around a 1060(or better?) used... around 150$ or so? to get my 2013 beast up and running while I put together a new one for 2020?

I found this...
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...11&s=pc&sr=1-3

and realize anything is going to be better then a 770 at this point. But I just want to get 2013 up and running again and save monies for 2020.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'd take a RX 580 8GB over a 1060 but that's me. Price depends on temp of /r/hardwareswap, which I haven't cruised in awhile. If you are dead set on Nvidia, check out EVGA's b-stock on Wednesday for what is on sale. You can get a 1060 3gb for like, $130 I think. 6GB for $160. I'd spend the extra and get a 980 TI for $200 or less depending on the prices of the week. And I can say from experience their RMA on b-stock is great.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Not set on any praticular Mfg.

I see this RX580 8GB for 180$ (200$ savings)

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-13...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

good deal?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'd say it's an average deal. However, XFX is top notch and if I was buying a new card them or Sapphire are my #1 for AMD unless a killer deal is going on. For 1080p gaming you can't go wrong with the RX 580 8GB. But, if you can get a EVGA 980 TI for the same or $209 more I'd go that route. Yeah a little higher wattage but it's a much better card and of course EVGA is top notch. If you can hold out until Wednesday, check the b-stock sale. They go live at 3 AM EST time. If you wanted strictly a go between before doing a brand new build and wanted to save a few dollars, they at times will have a GTX 970 for $100 too.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The 980Ti is sometimes 150 on B-Stock if you are lucky

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinn View Post
    Not set on any praticular Mfg.

I see this RX580 8GB for 180$ (200$ savings)

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-13...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

good deal?
    quoting just in case you get notifications. Right now Amazon is giving an extra 20% off warehouse deals items. Below is a link for a Power Color RX 580 8GB card. Should be $126.40 before tax. I've used Power Color before and haven't had issues. I'd buy them before Gigabyte at least. Thing is, you aren't going to get cheaper for that card. Just make sure to sign up for the warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-58...e-deals&sr=1-9

On the Market for new rig, eyeing i7-9700k, despite people crying about drop for hyperthreading over the i7-8700k. Thoughts? They're basically the same price point at the moment, and benchmarks are showing slightly better performance on 9700 anyway.

Only hard spot I'm hitting is finding the right combo of on-board ports for a MicroATX MB. Don't need/want WiFi and would prefer it with SPDIF and at least one USB-C port (or two PCIe slots for an expansion slot). Only like 3 decent ones, and they don't all fit this criteria anyway.

Any thoughts on MSI? I'm a long time ASUS advocate, but their options are extremely limited in this scenario.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag