• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 219 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

MicroCenter has apparently run out of the BL3/Outer Worlds game codes and also decreased the CPU/Mobo bundle deal to $20 instead of $30. Just in time for Cyber Monday.

EDIT: This is what I'll likely end up with. Going to try the 980 TI vs 1070 TI and choose one to keep, sell the other. Wife bought me the case for my bday. Mobo price is the current offering based on the above change from MC (bastards).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.00)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $83.00)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB FTW ULTRA SILENT GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $210.00)
    Case: Rosewill CULLINAN V500 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
    Total: $624.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 10:14 EST-0500

From Gred's post above, I plan on mounting the cooler exhausting through the top, the front will be intake as well as the rear. I'll maybe look for 3 more fans to put on the bottom to intake at a later time as well as a second set of fans for the radiator to push-pull. Ended up choosing the Rosewill for the included fans, basically, and because my wife was buying it and liked the RGB.

EDIT2: I was also thinking of picking up a small Inland SSD as the boot drive. My wife asked if we could keep my PC as is so she could use it, which means I can't steal that SSD to use as my new boot drive.

Is doing that a bad idea? Would it be too much stress on a store brand SSD?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The problem with the Inland drive, and other budget SSDs, is more performance than reliability. They have suboptimal controllers and most don't have a DRAM cache making them slower. Still faster than a HDD by miles, but noticeably slower than premium drives like Samsung and Crucial. Better controllers are also better at managing NAND wear to prevent sectors of the drive from permanently burning out unevenly.

I don't think NVMe is worth the premium for most people (I opted against it in my last build) but I would definitely go with a better SSD for my primary drive. I use three drives: a Samsung EVO 250GB boot drive, a Patriot Burst 250GB secondary game drive, and a 8TB WD White media drive. I have the Patriot and the WD tiered together using AMD StoreMi so I don't have to manage them separately (free software with a x470 board to turn two drives into a hybrid)

I like to eat food
    BG Level

So my other options would be a Crucial BX500 240GB for $33 or a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for $55 unless I can find a better deal elsewhere. Haven't seen anything pop up that was better.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Not sure how this stacks up performance wise, but below is a link to a WD Blue 500GB m.2 which should come to $41.56 before tax. Must be Amazon Warehouse Deals and will/should qualify for 20% off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you are fine with a 250GB, spend the extra $6 to get the Crucial MX500 for $39 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764WCXCV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The MX has hardware-accelerated encryption and SLC caching. SLC caching improves write endurance which is part of the point in getting a good drive vs. a budget.

Can't go wrong with going Samsung though. I'd personally pay the extra $20 for the extra 250GB on the Samsung.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Not sure how this stacks up performance wise, but below is a link to a WD Blue 500GB m.2 which should come to $41.56 before tax. Must be Amazon Warehouse Deals and will/should qualify for 20% off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    I got the Intel 660p 1TB m.2 deal that's going around for my main game/whatever drive. Was more looking for something as a boot drive and whatever downloads/documents I may come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    If you are fine with a 250GB, spend the extra $6 to get the Crucial MX500 for $39 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764WCXCV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The MX has hardware-accelerated encryption and SLC caching. SLC caching improves write endurance which is part of the point in getting a good drive vs. a budget.

Can't go wrong with going Samsung though. I'd personally pay the extra $20 for the extra 250GB on the Samsung.
    I may grab that one you posted as it would just be a boot drive + drivers + whatever else gets downloaded. Won't be my main drive.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

MC wouldn't give me the $20 discount on the open box Mobo, so I ended up getting a new one for the same price as the open box ($84).

I should have everything other than the boot drive today, with that coming in Thursday.

EDIT: Oh, they also sold out of the Ripjaws between yesterday and today. They said 10+ in stock so I dunno how that happened, must have been bad accounting of stock or just not updating. I ended up with the HyperX Fury because they weren't sure when they were getting more in and ordering the Ripjaws from Newegg would either mean I don't get to assemble until next week or I pay an extra $8 for 3 day shipping (their next option above 7-10 day).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

The discount drop on bundles just happened this week and I'm going to assume that's the standard moving forward. Unfortunate to hear they wouldn't give you the discount on the open box board. I haven't bought a bundle in over a year so maybe the MC near me is doing the same now and that's protocol. Something I have noticed about mine is their open box GPU prices are....not good. 20% off is usually on cards that are under $200 to begin with. Expensive cards usually see only 5-10% off and maybe 15%. For me, once I figure gas and time it's unfortunately not worth it for me to make that drive anymore.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Eh, the price drop is actually not that bad. There's a $10 rebate which makes it more of a pain, but you end up with the same price as the old $30 bundle.

Didn't they used to have a $50 discount on bundles? I guess when the CPU itself is discounted from $250 to a flat $200 and you get $30 off on a bundle with the mobo that's where all their margin is.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yes at a time it used to be $50 off the MB for buying a bundle. I was told by management in 2015 their model is they take a loss on the CPU by having such a good deal to get people in the door and they end up buying the majority of everything else while there. I definitely believe it too.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yes at a time it used to be $50 off the MB for buying a bundle. I was told by management in 2015 their model is they take a loss on the CPU by having such a good deal to get people in the door and they end up buying the majority of everything else while there. I definitely believe it too.
    100%. I bought the majority of my build there because of the savings they offered with bundles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

It does work I guess. I ended up getting some thermal paste, a small 16GB flash drive for the windows installer/bios rom, and the RAM cause paying for shipping from Newegg wasn't worth it in the end.

Since my Tomahawk is a new board it states it's ready for the 3000 series Ryzen. Is there any need to update the BIOS further? I looked at MSI's site earlier and saw there were a few updates after the initial compatibility, but wasn't sure it was worth updating the BIOS if it is already compatible with the CPU. My gut says no just so I don't screw something up.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If your ram isn't on the compatibility list for the motherboard then yes, absolutely update BIOS. I was a knucklehead and didn't check the list when I bought mine and at the time of purchase I could only get it stable at 2600 ish even tho it's rated for 3200. Now I have it at 2933 after a few BIOS updates. I could probably do better with some tweaking. Just haven't bothered lately.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    It does work I guess. I ended up getting some thermal paste, a small 16GB flash drive for the windows installer/bios rom, and the RAM cause paying for shipping from Newegg wasn't worth it in the end.

Since my Tomahawk is a new board it states it's ready for the 3000 series Ryzen. Is there any need to update the BIOS further? I looked at MSI's site earlier and saw there were a few updates after the initial compatibility, but wasn't sure it was worth updating the BIOS if it is already compatible with the CPU. My gut says no just so I don't screw something up.
    Usually stability upgrades and like Kal said, expanding on RAM compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Thanks. I see 3200 is in the manual, I just need to enable A-XMP mode in the BIOS and set the frequency.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Got the PC built on Saturday. Just had a couple minor issues.

Boot SSD wasn't being recognized. Reconnected it and got it working.

NVME SSD was in BIOS and not in Windows so I had to get into disk manager and format it.

The OEM license I was sent didn't work so I had to contact seller to get a new one.

Booted up BL3 to see what the benchmark ran at and was only getting 30 fps on Medium which was obviously much lower than I expected. Downloaded AMD's Ryzen Master utility and set to auto overclock and disabled the MSI Game Boost in the BIOS. Got it running at 80-90 fps on Ultra after that. Not sure exactly what was causing the issue. I may run the EVGA Precision X1 utility and see if I can OC the GPU a bit too.

I'll have to snag a pic when I get home. It's looking pretty clean and the RGB rings around the fans are nice. I like them more than just LED fans. I just kind of grouped the cables in the back and tied them, but that side faces a wall anyway.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

That's interesting about the Ryzen utility. I honestly haven't heard of that and it for sure wasn't offered when I bought my processor 2 1/2 years ago. What's crazy to me is I guess Ryzen 3 series does offer a decent increase in FPS compared to first gen Ryzen but I have zero complaints and am concentrating on a new GPU first. I benched Far Cry 5 and FC: New Dawn on my Vega 56 last week and was planning to bench some more games for comparing numbers. I loaded up The Outer Worlds and the Vega really did not like that. I guess the Far Cry bench tool doesn't put that much stress on the GPU. The Outer Worlds was causing some coil whine (which I hadn't heard before), stutter every few seconds, and holy shit I thought the PC was preparing for take off from the sounds of the fan/blower. Loaded up Ark and got similar results so I'm sending the card in for RMA today.

So for now I'm back to my trusty ghetto Sapphire HD 7970. I bought it second hand off reddit years ago for a friend's build but I've had it the past couple years. For whatever reason the fan speeds are reverse, as in if you have it at 20% for say 30c in the fan curve, the fans spin as if at 80% going off of sound. Set the fan curve to 70% at 30c and it's quiet. I've monitored it during gaming in the past to make sure it's not overheating and it's fine, just weird. Loaded up Outer Worlds and the Sapphire was NOT having it at 2560x1440 on ultra! I'll play with it later.

Tomorrow I'm receiving in the mail two Asus R9 380 4GB models I bought off Ebay from a mining farm that's calling it quits. Guy had up close to 100 cards last Friday. $50 for the two cards seems like a low risk purchase and I'm sort of looking forward to playing with them. I'm also curious on what MSI will do with my RMA. More than likely I'll get a refurb similar unit, but there is always the off chance they will send something newer or a non blower model. I'm banking on getting back a blower card and plan to sell it to fund a RX 5700 XT. After much deliberation I'm not going cheap this time. I've narrowed it down to either the Sapphire Nitro, Gigabyte OC/Aorus, or Power Color Red Devil. Going off of prices over the last two weeks it will most likely be the Power Color I go with. Now to wait for the right price.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

That's interesting about the Ryzen utility. I honestly haven't heard of that and it for sure wasn't offered when I bought my processor 2 1/2 years ago.
    I installed the AMD Overdrive utility first, after reading about some of the OC software and benchmarks on buildapc's wiki. After that my PC wouldn't boot at all, just kept going to blue screen and restarting. Had to do a system restore. Turns out AMD Overdrive doesn't play nice with Ryzen and causes the PC to crash. They should update that wiki.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Well, the two R9 380s came today and while they both boot and I can do simple things, as soon as any load is put on them problems start. One won't even load Heaven benchmark. The other will load Heaven and I tried Far Cry 5, but it artifacts like crazy. Requested a refund/return and the seller messaged me saying don't worry about mailing them back and he refunded the money already.

I have replaced the thermal paste on one of them with Cryorig CP 15. No changes in activity so far but I'm thinking I need to let the card run at least overnight before maybe the paste sets? Thing is, artifacts were starting before the card was even hitting 70c. Most likely both of these cards can't take any stress but I'm still going to try and see what I can do. If anyone has any suggestions please suggest away!

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I've had similar issues with a 980Ti that was damaged by a bad power supply. Hopefully that's not the case with your cards, but it is one possibility to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag