FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Rolled some sexy Samsung memory. Not sure if I will OC it yet (I probably don't even need to tbh) but I'll think about it. Thanks again for the help!
    If you figure out how to do it please post here. My MSI Vega 56 Air Boost has Samsung memory but I couldn't figure out which BIOS to use or how to do the flash correctly or everything. Thank God for dual BIOS.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    If you figure out how to do it please post here. My MSI Vega 56 Air Boost has Samsung memory but I couldn't figure out which BIOS to use or how to do the flash correctly or everything. Thank God for dual BIOS.
    I've heard some people haven't succeeded with the BIOS flash even with Samsung memory, but I think there are still significant gains to be had just from undervolting.

There's a YT guide for it but I never watched it because I didn't pull the trigger.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Undervolting is the great secret so many people don't know about.

Especially in laptops it's fucking beautiful if you end up with a CPU that can rock -150 to 200mv. But even on a desktop you can get so much mileage out of it with the amount of extra temp overhead it can afford you for over clocking.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I've heard some people haven't succeeded with the BIOS flash even with Samsung memory, but I think there are still significant gains to be had just from undervolting.

There's a YT guide for it but I never watched it because I didn't pull the trigger.
    I watched a few videos and attempted their instructions without success. However, they never specified which BIOS. I'll keep looking or if you know which to check out, post it!

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Undervolting is the great secret so many people don't know about.

Especially in laptops it's fucking beautiful if you end up with a CPU that can rock -150 to 200mv. But even on a desktop you can get so much mileage out of it with the amount of extra temp overhead it can afford you for over clocking.
    When attempting to undervolt using WattMan I was seeing 5% or more performance decreases. When trying to OC it never seemed to take it into effect. But if I OC in Afterburner it worked. I'll have to keep at it.

I do plan to modify a NZXT Kraken G10 I have laying around and I'm going to slap a Corsair H50 on it. Currently with a fan curve it isn't too loud, but that blower cooler sometimes makes what I refer to as some clicky sounds. Almost like baseball card in bicycle spoke noise, but very seldom. It's just annoying to hear.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think the MSI Airboost 64 is the bios most use, just something I saw mentioned on BuildaPcSales

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Here is kinda a silly question. First of all last weekend I reapplied the thermal compound on my cpu and reseated the cooler reeeeally carefully and it shaved a couple of degrees off my average temps. (yay) Then I had a thought.. What else could I do to drop temps down? And had an idea. First of all this is my case:

https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig.../dp/B008HD3CTI

My cpu cooler is mounted horizontally and I've always felt there was kind of a dead spot in front of it cause the two front intake fans are lower down. As you can see there are two places for fans on the top of the case. The one in the direction of the front of the case is right in front/above my cooler. My question is do you think if I put a case fan there facing down that it would help any? I thought a fan there blowing air down would give the cpu fan more cooler air to draw from. I was thinking of just switching the bottom front intake fan to there because it doesn't do much good. The HDD cage blocks most of the air coming in.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I believe the rule is that you have the top fan be exhaust since heat rises and if you have them set to blow downward you are redirecting the rising heat from the heatsink back into the case.

That being said, I see that there is a covered side fan panel. Put another intake fan there. Creating a channel will be more effective than just putting a third fan that isn't paired. SOme cases also have room for fans on the bottom.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sounds like you dont have any positive air flow. Things I would try include:

* Moving the front case fan from the top place holder to the bottom
    *Making sure PSU exhaust, if it has one, isn't pointed up towards the CPU and other components (no shade, I did this so learn from my mistakes)
    *Make a less aggressive GPU threshold even if it's a blower (overclocked or aggressive fan curve)
    *Buy and add a new fan to the top or front if you have an additional available fan header

Your CPU cooler doesnt have a fan on it otherwise you'd have said so and the fan in the back is still set to exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I believe the rule is that you have the top fan be exhaust since heat rises and if you have them set to blow downward you are redirecting the rising heat from the heatsink back into the case.

That being said, I see that there is a covered side fan panel. Put another intake fan there. Creating a channel will be more effective than just putting a third fan that isn't paired. SOme cases also have room for fans on the bottom.
    I do have a intake fan on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    Sounds like you dont have any positive air flow. Things I would try include:

* Moving the front case fan from the top place holder to the bottom
    *Making sure PSU exhaust, if it has one, isn't pointed up towards the CPU and other components (no shade, I did this so learn from my mistakes)
    *Make a less aggressive GPU threshold even if it's a blower (overclocked or aggressive fan curve)
    *Buy and add a new fan to the top or front if you have an additional available fan header

Your CPU cooler doesnt have a fan on it otherwise you'd have said so and the fan in the back is still set to exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-I don't want to put a fan in the bottom front because the hard drive cage blocks most of the airflow. You can take the top hd cage out, which I did when I first got this, for unrestricted airflow from the top fan but you can't do that with the bottom. (They have a new case design now with bigger holes in the hd cages dang it)
    -It isn't.
    -I have. EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 w/ iCX heatsink baby!
    -I could I guess.
    -It does. I just didn't say cause I thought it was a foregone conclusion. It's a CM Hyper 212 Evo with the fan on the right side (push) and the exhaust fan on the case is only a few inches behind.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Speaking of undervolting/over clocking, playing around with my new toy, and managed to undervolt the CPU enough to keep it from thermal throttling at room temperature and got the GPU to hold at around 1500MHz (which puts it in line with the base clock on the desktop model).

I nabbed some high end silicon in this laptop.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I plan to look into it this weekend for sure. I just bought Madden 19 last night since it was on sale for $15 and the last foozball game I played was 2016. Game looks great and runs smooth.

This weekend I plan to put together a HTPC with some leftover parts to play Madden from the couch. EA Origin doesn't have anything like file sharing or whatever.

Pentium G3258 (last time cooled on a Corsair H50 and had it at 4.3GHz)
    8gb ddr3
    1TB WD Black
    Inwin 301 mATX
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 (Never tried to OC it)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

With the Vega 56, this is the first time I've undervolted, overclocked or changed a fan curve so I'm not really sure if I've achieved what I want, even after doing tons of research. I think I can push this card up to pretty much anything I want but I'm still too noob to flash the bios; still, my attempts to UV/OC it based on others' settings have my GPU temperature peaking around 70C and memory at 76C (which is too high imo) while playing FFXIV on max settings. The various benchmarks (heaven, furmark) I've used don't seem to push it nearly as hard as XIV, and that's what I play the most, so that's what I'm using as a base for adjustments.

Current settings are 1652Mhz/1100mV for clock and 900Mhz/800mV for memory. Everything runs stable, but what am I really aiming for here? Maintaining a certain clock speed? Not going above a certain temperature? Everyone talks about getting more out of your hardware but no one says what the actual aim is and I feel like I hit the limit of what I can learn on my own and now need some advice from OC gurus

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There's two aspects to your video card: frames per second and power consumption. Raising the former and/or lowering the latter are your end goals.

Undervolting accomplishes the latter (while also reducing heat), though there's not really any way it can contribute to the former. Undervolting, I always thought, was more of a thing for crypto miners, not gamers.

Overclocking accomplishes the former in most cases, while also increasing heat and power consumption. If you want more frames drawn on your screen per second, overclocking is how to do it.

You're most likely seeking a balance between the two. When you overclock, you generally need more voltage after a certain point. If you hit the "silicon lottery", you'll get a good ratio of overclock against undervolt. In other words, the best GPU chips out there are capable of higher than stock clock speeds while running at lower than stock voltage.

For what it's worth, your temps look normal or even pretty good to me. Modern GPU's are hot motherfuckers.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    There's two aspects to your video card: frames per second and power consumption. Raising the former and/or lowering the latter are your end goals.

Undervolting accomplishes the latter (while also reducing heat), though there's not really any way it can contribute to the former. Undervolting, I always thought, was more of a thing for crypto miners, not gamers.

Overclocking accomplishes the former in most cases, while also increasing heat and power consumption. If you want more frames drawn on your screen per second, overclocking is how to do it.

You're most likely seeking a balance between the two. When you overclock, you generally need more voltage after a certain point. If you hit the "silicon lottery", you'll get a good ratio of overclock against undervolt. In other words, the best GPU chips out there are capable of higher than stock clock speeds while running at lower than stock voltage.

For what it's worth, your temps look normal or even pretty good to me. Modern GPU's are hot motherfuckers.
    The general thinking is that most AMD Vega cards can handle an overclock and undervolt because they tend to come overjuiced as a shortcut

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The general thinking is that most AMD Vega cards can handle an overclock and undervolt because they tend to come overjuiced as a shortcut

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I understood that part, something about AMD setting all their chips both good and bad to pull a ton of wattage that they might not even need because they just chose some kind of blanket settings. I was mostly worried about my temperatures and my loud fan (I have it set to go 100% when it hits 60c) but maybe I don't need it that high...summer is coming though and it's gonna be hella hot in here whether the AC is on or not.

@Arkanna thanks, if you think it sounds okay at those temps then I won't over worry about it.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My 144hz monitor that I've had for about 3+1/2 years just died - my previous 1080p LG panels all lasted about 7-8 years, and I think my iiyama 4k panel is going on 4-5 years now.

Trying to decide on a replacement I'm torn between:

2560x1440@144hz and decent colours
    1080p@240hz - all tn panels and have shit colour ranges unfortunately.
    ultrawide @ 144hz - this would be nice for video editing as well, but it's also going to be much harder to drive and maintain 144hz in games.

Leaning towards 2560@144hz

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My main is this 32" 2560x1440 144hz and I really like it. And yes I bought it open box with zero issues. VA panels scare some but I am very happy with this monitor.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have a 1080p Alienware 240Hz and honestly the colors aren't that bad imo compared to my secondary IPS (which isn't like a high end IPS or anything). But making sure you can run 200+ frames is another matter, it's hard to do unless the game is both GPU and CPU easy.

I tried and returned a 1440p 165hz (the highly regarded Dell 1MS); I didn't feel a great graphical difference from 1440, but I also play on 24"

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    My main is this 32" 2560x1440 144hz and I really like it. And yes I bought it open box with zero issues. VA panels scare some but I am very happy with this monitor.
    Yeah I found a bunch of monitors that I believe are using the same panel as this, can't get monoprice in the UK but they're mostly reasonably priced.

I have a 1080p Alienware 240Hz and honestly the colors aren't that bad imo compared to my secondary IPS (which isn't like a high end IPS or anything). But making sure you can run 200+ frames is another matter, it's hard to do unless the game is both GPU and CPU easy.

I tried and returned a 1440p 165hz (the highly regarded Dell 1MS); I didn't feel a great graphical difference from 1440, but I also play on 24"
    I've had a 4k monitor for ages and did a lot of comparisons with 1440p/2160p when I got it for gaming - the difference is absolutely minimal up close. It makes much more of a difference with long draw distance games where the pixels per square inch actually matters, so to a large degree if you're playing games with a low average draw distance then it's unlikely to be very noticeable. When you start looking at 100-400 meters away it starts to make a more noticeable difference.

It also lets you run with less anti-aliasing. I found I could happily run 4k with only 2x AA , while 8x was minimum at 1080p.

At 24" you're really going to struggle to notice it as well, I honestly wasn't getting much of a gain with 4k at 28", it was noticeable if you were looking for it, and it really depended on the game as to how much.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ordered a samsung 32" that probably has the same panel as the monoprice, also tried playing a few games at 60hz and wanted to tear my eyes out, it was horrific.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag