BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

You can definitely build it yourself.

I've done it and I know fuck all about building stuff.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I think the below is a pretty nice build. 6 core CPU and the stock cooler is actually really nice. SSD + 2TB drive. 16GB ram, but just used the below for price point. You want the highest speed that's on whatever motherboard's ram approved list. High quality PSU. Strong GPU for 1080P and is 1440P capable. Case is for price point. Plenty of options at $40 during sales.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Inland - 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $798.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-23 18:25 EDT-0400

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ryzen 5 2600 is on amazon for $160, worth the $10 I'd say.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

2600X is only a little more and probably worth it if you aren't doing to OC

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Off Topic:

VIOTEK GN27D 27 Inch 1440p 144hz Curved

Been looking for a decent curved monitor w/o breaking the bank. GTX 1070 but don't need the G-Sync. How do you guys feel about this one? Productivity aside (currently studying Cisco environments with emulators and mid-level Excel projects); games are all played @ 1440p already with medium to high settings. Most intensive games would be Crysis 3, Middle Earth and pending Just Cause 4.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Not sure how the 1070 will do for 144hz besides MOBA or CSGO/Overwatch. It seems like a nice one and decent price. Dream-Seller on Ebay is a little cheaper for similar.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Hello everyone I have a question that maybe you can help. I’ve done all the googling and troubleshooting I can find / think of but maybe someone more experienced can see.
    I have a vizio 55” 4K tv that is hooked up thru hdmi to my pc with nvidia 1060 3gb. While using tv as monitor I am getting a weird screen glitch that reminds me of old vhs tracking issues. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers for the graphics card and tried multiple hdmi cables with no fix.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by mahler05 View Post
    Hello everyone I have a question that maybe you can help. I’ve done all the googling and troubleshooting I can find / think of but maybe someone more experienced can see.
    I have a vizio 55” 4K tv that is hooked up thru hdmi to my pc with nvidia 1060 3gb. While using tv as monitor I am getting a weird screen glitch that reminds me of old vhs tracking issues. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers for the graphics card and tried multiple hdmi cables with no fix.

TVs have horrible input lag, try setting the TV to gaming mode.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah, seems like you need to find gaming mode. Also, the TV isn't ever going to be as good as a monitor. You will get screen tearing at higher refresh among other things.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My secondary monitor is a 40" 4k samsung and for w/e reason it sometimes resets to factory which looks TERRIBLE. Find the gaming mode, or like in my case "PC Mode" and switch it. Looks and responds much better.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Building a new PC based off Kalmado's recent build since I'm moving to a cheaper place, but I learned that there won't be any ethernet ports available. Is there a preferred method of adding Wi-Fi capabilities to a desktop PC? I've seen both USB adapters and PCI adapter cards, but wasn't sure if there was a significant difference.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by tenkiki View Post
    Building a new PC based off Kalmado's recent build since I'm moving to a cheaper place, but I learned that there won't be any ethernet ports available. Is there a preferred method of adding Wi-Fi capabilities to a desktop PC? I've seen both USB adapters and PCI adapter cards, but wasn't sure if there was a significant difference.
    I wasn't a fan of USB adapters personally. I had to constantly set them up on laptops when I worked at Fry's and home networking started to explode and everyone and their mother wanted their computer wireless. If it's a desktop, I'd probably go with a PCI (do they have PCI-E Wifi cards now, it's been too long since I looked) and go that route as you can usually get some sort of extension wire to move the antenna for better signal. Plus with USB, you have a device sticking out and if you have pets/toddlers/etc you run the risk of them getting grabbed, yanked, broken, etc.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by tenkiki View Post
    Can you use powerline adapters? They are much better than wifi. Not quite ethernet cable speeds but a better alternative than wifi.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn, didn't know about powerline adapters. I opted for a motherboard with wi-fi capabilities as I switched ordering from Amazon to Micro Center. If the internet at the new place is poor, I may go with a pair of those.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

so my speaker systems seem to constantly be wearing through wiring. i have maybe 5 different speaker sets ive accumulated over the years that work fine... as long as you hold the cable in just the right way. so i have two questions:

how difficult would it be to replace the wires myself? seems like it should be a relatively simple fix, but i've never tried to repair anything electronic before. i know how to solder, though, and have a cheap soldering kit.

or

any suggestions for reliable replacements? i don't need anything fancy, just something to give my ears a point of reference that doesn't sound like garbage and doesn't wear out after a few years.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

that sounds like your audio jack is broken.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd assume you're talking about a system where the wires aren't removable.

How easy the wire would be to repair is entirely dependent on where the damage is. More likely then not it's probably around where the cable is going into the unit, which would probably necessitate replacing the entire cable run. Any decently designed system you should just be able to open the unit and get easy access to the solder points for the wire. Again, it's likely somewhere right around the entry point to the system, you could probably just cut back on the cable to remove the damage, strip the shielding and reinstall the wire.

If the damage is somewhere in the middle of a cable, you probably wouldn't even need to solder anything. Just out the damaged part, strip back the shielding, rattail the two halves of the wire together and cover it with electrical tape/heat shrink.

Edit : or if it's actually in the way Zet is interpreting your post, yeah the audio jack is fucked and that's usually a bit more involved of a soldering job since the connections are usually pretty close together.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

nah, it's not the audio jack. it's in the middle of the wire; there's enough slack in the line the movement isn't even touching the jack. interesting. ill have to bust out the wiring stuff, see if i can get it replaced with some better wiring.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Seems odd that you'd have multiple speaker systems with issues, at least to me. Usually when I've seen things like that, it does come down to the audio jack. Things like earphones with a mic or whatnot splitting the plug up more than a standard stereo one can end up exhibiting the kind of issue that you're talking about. Futz with the cable and it may work fine, but often doesn't seem to make a good connection.

You can get USB sound adapters for sub-$10 if you want to test that (or better ones for progressively more money). Replacing speakers would really depend on what you feel is decent enough. There are plenty of cheap but serviceable speakers sets out there. IMO, once you start looking at spending more, it makes sense to look at an amp/receiver and home audio speakers, provided you have the space. Cables tend not to be built in on those, so you can swap out for whatever is appropriate.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i don't think i described that part well. it's less "multiple speaker systems in a short span" and more "every speaker system ive ever owned has died this way and im sick of it"

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag