Page 77 of 219 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

While playing particularly High Bitrate 4k video, either in VLC or through plex, the video is stuttering and glitching. I don't know what's causing the bottleneck. The video card is pretty old. A 660Ti. Here are the rest of the specs of the PC. Any suggestions on what I need to upgrade to get smooth playback?

Also, not sure if related, but the monitor is a 1440p monitor. But it skips when I also stream to a 4k TV.

Here's the PC specs.

And a video of it stuttering. Infinity war. 4k. Bitrate 46Mbps

https://youtu.be/xRtmjT1majI

Here is my what the video looks like on my 4k TV sent via Plex server at original quality via wired connection.

https://youtu.be/hgzNoaBWpy8

I downloaded WMC-HC and it played fine, but with the CPU at 100% usage. This leads me to believe the GPU is passing off the decoding to the software and using the CPU instead of decoding natively. Which I don't think the 660ti natively decodes HEVC (h265).

So, if I buy a GPU that'll hardware decode HEVC/h265, like a GTX 1070, I should be good, right? If so, the 20xx series needs to come out soon and drop the prices of the 10xx series....

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My vote is your graphics card. I also run into stuttering issues very occasionally using VLC when streaming my monitor to the TV via Googlecast. It's more like a slight stutter every 40 minutes or so.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah your 660 only supports x264, not 265 ( HEVC ).

the 900 series supports 8bit and 10bit hevc, the 1000 series supports 12bit hevc.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Do you guys know if I am running a Plex server on my PC, will it use the GPU to transcode. I'd hate to buy an expensive video card only to fall back on cpu for transcoding (which also doesn't natively support HEVC)

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Speaking of Plex, as of two days ago I cannot play anything from Plex at work. My home network is fine. rawr.

My plex still works, using it now lol.... that said i don't update my plex server unless there is a problem.

And i don't know if plex will use a GPU or if you can tell it to, i know it kills my cpu and i don't see anything to change it over.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I bought a 1060 from Best buy to test. If it doesn't work, I'll return it. If it does work, I'll return it and rebuy when the 20xx series drop later this month or next.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I've come to the conclusion that Plex is fucking garbage and I hate it.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

HardOCP might be the only hardware site out there that has the balls to stand up to nVidia like this. I just hope AMD can finally get back in the video card game at some point; nVidia needs some real competition.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    HardOCP might be the only hardware site out there that has the balls to stand up to nVidia like this. I just hope AMD can finally get back in the video card game at some point; nVidia needs some real competition.
    For real. I was so disappointed to sell my Vega 64 but with 1080's tanking in price I had to sell the more valuable card. I too want AMD to step up. Competition is good for all of us.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Anyone buy a high-end KVM recently?

I need to be able to swap between a Mac and PC, with dual monitor support for both. USB for both, along with one of the 2 monitors 34" curved from Acer. In addition the keyboard is a Blackwidow keyboard.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

PC Build Advice/Review II: 1070 or Bust.

My G’s pleas help, I’m building my AMD machine and need wisdom.

any thoughts on MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard? I’m building my AMD machine and struggling to pick a motherboard. I’m not overly concerned about budget but I don’t think I computer hard enough to need anything super high end, that being said I’d really like to take advantage of Microcenter’s $30 bundle with processor.

Processor wise I had been leaning ryzen 2600x but now I’m thinking maybe I should roll the dice on 2600 and try to OC? I’ve never OC’d. Will it be an easy thing to do? Oh god I’ve really stepped in it this time.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/5...md-motherboard

My closest Microcenter is Fairfax VA if you want to check the store page to see my other options. God bless.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I would definitely go 2600 and OC the piss out of it. You can OC on the B450 boards too but the X series usually sees higher clocks and more features overall. Also, make sure to get compatible high speed ram. Ryzen LOVES high speed ram.

I noticed at your store they have an open box Asus Crosshair VI Wifi for $119. If it was me I'd meticulously check the board and if everything looks good that's what I would choose. I've used Asrock, MSI, and Asus on the Ryzen platform and I'd rank them Asus, Asrock, and MSI for ease of use within BIOS. If you have any need for help putting it together or overclocking (I use an Asus X370 Prime) I can be available.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    My G’s pleas help, I’m building my AMD machine and need wisdom.

any thoughts on MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard? I’m building my AMD machine and struggling to pick a motherboard. I’m not overly concerned about budget but I don’t think I computer hard enough to need anything super high end, that being said I’d really like to take advantage of Microcenter’s $30 bundle with processor.

Processor wise I had been leaning ryzen 2600x but now I’m thinking maybe I should roll the dice on 2600 and try to OC? I’ve never OC’d. Will it be an easy thing to do? Oh god I’ve really stepped in it this time.

My closest Microcenter is Fairfax VA if you want to check the store page to see my other options. God bless.
    One thing that may be worth investigating is finding some fast DDR4 ram on sale now right now and finding the cheapest X470 or X370 board that has said RAM on the QVL.

I am using the Gigabyte X470 board (Aorus) with a 2600. It's cheaper on Newegg than Microcenter right now ($104 + 10 rebate), but it doesn't beat the Microcenter $30 bundle discount. However the 2600 has gone on sale a couple of times so if you want to shop around for the CPU you might end up saving a little.

Not many differences from yours except that it comes with another M2/NVMe slots instead of a short PCI slot plus a heatspreader, and two of the PCI-E slots are steel plated instead of one.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Thx boys so I’m definitely gonna go 2600, I’ll shop around for RAM today and go from there.

Gred, the differences you mention in the motherboards, are those all good things? I really don’t know shit lol.

Makes me too scared to check out an open box cuz I wouldn’t really know what to look for.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yoooo I'm doing a ryzen build for a friend soon and have no idea ryzen shit.

He has a case SSD monitor etc already. Just needs this stuff and a 1070/1080 when/if the prices drop. We haven't decided on a cpu fan either cause he won't do water/aio so it'll prob be something that isn't noctua colored.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/boyiee/saved/vnTr6h

Looking at places to save a few doll hairs and I'm thinking CPU. Is my understanding of ryzen correct that the X Is like the Intel K? He has no need to OC but he wants a build that will last him as long as possible. His current PC is 10yrs old.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

It’s my understanding that the ryzen stock fans are good enough if you aren’t OC’ing

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Yoooo I'm doing a ryzen build for a friend soon and have no idea ryzen shit.
    He has a case SSD monitor etc already. Just needs this stuff and a 1070/1080 when/if the prices drop. We haven't decided on a cpu fan either cause he won't do water/aio so it'll prob be something that isn't noctua colored.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/boyiee/saved/vnTr6h

Looking at places to save a few doll hairs and I'm thinking CPU. Is my understanding of ryzen correct that the X Is like the Intel K? He has no need to OC but he wants a build that will last him as long as possible. His current PC is 10yrs old.
    No.

Ryzen X simply has higher base and turbo speeds than the non-X versions, and comes with a better fan to handle it.
    The fans that come with Ryzen models are pretty great though and no need to go aftermarket at all ( unlike Intel where it's mandatory even if you don't OC ).

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    No.

Ryzen X simply has higher base and turbo speeds than the non-X versions, and comes with a better fan to handle it.
    The fans that come with Ryzen models are pretty great though and no need to go aftermarket at all ( unlike Intel where it's mandatory even if you don't OC ).
    For real?

Then maybe we'll just leave it at that and get her built without a fan. If he decides on one there's a be quiet cooler that looks okay.

Just waiting to see what gpu prices do.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag