Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Ahh. See, I don't understand how any of that works. I honestly don't think I'd be doing any real overclocking or anything ><

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

About Ryzen vs Intel, I do not program, deep learn, fold, etc etc. I game, have a fuck ton of chrome tabs open, videos going, etc. I have never had an issue with my R7 1700X. Right now it is an absolute no brainer value wise in my eyes vs the Intel equivalent because I see zero reason to spend more for Intel. It's not like during the Bulldozer days where AMD was terrible vs Intel.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah. My plan is to game (as I haven't ruly pc gamed aside from mobile games and FFXIV in years), watch videos, maybe do some photoshop/a lil video editing and also start streaming. The Ryzen 7 1700 would do all that pretty well then?

All I know is, and sorry if this sounds silly.. is I'm so excited at the prospect of having more than 4GB of RAM. I've had 4GB of RAM for..years, and it's not even that great of GSkill RAM either. But it just sucks that like.. I'd have Bluestacks open (The android emulator) and like a youtube vid and BAM.. my RAM is topped out at like 85-90% usage, Lol. Having a CPU and RAM and such that can handle all that is just..exciting.

Also this means, with a good MOBO at least, that I'd be able to activate the Virtualization so it'd be allowed to use more resources to actually run quicker which is exciting in itself.

I'm not in the crowd of Intel vs AMD, Nvidia vs ATI.. I just want something that will run well, so I was thinking of going Ryzen 7 + Nvidia or something if I can find the good deals you guys mentioned.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ryzen 7 1700 should be good, I'm using a Ryzen 5 1600 and it can do all of that as well. Assuming you haven't used an SSD in your previous computer, that may also be one of the biggest changes you'll experience. It made me a little depressed thinking of all the time I wasted on bootup and loading screens while using a HDD for so long.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by tenkiki View Post
    Ryzen 7 1700 should be good, I'm using a Ryzen 5 1600 and it can do all of that as well. Assuming you haven't used an SSD in your previous computer, that may also be one of the biggest changes you'll experience. It made me a little depressed thinking of all the time I wasted on bootup and loading screens while using a HDD for so long.
    Yeah. I've..never owned an SSD in my life. I've just used a standard 7200 RPM HDD my entire life, so that's another thing I'm kind excited for.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

When you look at comparable chips, basically Intel's got faster single core boosted clock speed but Ryzens will come with more cores and/or threads.

This gives Intel a speed edge on pure gaming, but Ryzen is better at multitasking and anything that is optimized for multiple cores. Ryzen chips are cheaper and also come with very good coolers whereas you'll want to drop another 20-30 on a third party cooler for Intel.

Intel has locked hyperthreading to their i9s iirc so you have to get very far up the price hierarchy before Intel has comparable cores with multiple threads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Oh I see. Thank you for the quick rundown!

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX73478
    GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8GB PCI-E w/ HDMI for 1030 CAD (~770 USD), comes with BF V, Anthem and Metro Exodus.

I would be upgrading from a 970

should I do it or hold off?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you're looking for the very best and want to drop bucks for it, sure.

You can save a little by getting a 1080 or 1080Ti since there's virtually no support for ray tracing out there right now. There's lots of savings to be had if you go down to the 1660 / 2060 tier but the upgrade becomes less dramatic.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

https://slickdeals.net/f/12894697-sk...?src=frontpage

This is a very solid build for $600 pre-assembled and with Windows.

You could do better on some parts by buying and assembling on your own (RAM and SSD brand/size) but this would be pain-free.

Also comes with one generation better on the Ryzen chip than the deal that's been floating around (2600 vs 1600). I personally run the 2600 and am very satisfied with it.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Ooo dang. That one is really nice looking! If my plan falls through and my friend can't help me put it together, I may make a reach for it. My budget has expanded from the iniitla 500-600ish to possibly up to 700 due to getting a little bit for my birthday.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

WD 10TB External HDD w/32GB Flash Drive for $160+tax.

Shuckable. It's said it's a HGST Helium 5400 rpm drive. Obvious drive for movies and music. I have a 8TB 5400 rpm drive and have put some games on it and it's not terrible. I haven't timed load times but it wasn't terrible like what's been reported about Anthem's load times.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If you live within any reasonable driving distance to a Micro Center and are in the market for a cpu this is a steal. The Ryzen R5 1600 six core CPU is only $79.99. It can be paired with a motherboard which will take $30 off the motherboard. Check for open box deals. My MC will honor the $30 off on open box boards. Also, open box video cards. Mine has a RX 570 4GB for $105 and it will come with the AMD promo code for free games. All my will power to not go blow money right now......

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Daaang. I wish I had a microcenter

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Maybe someone could go buy me a combo and mail it to me... Lmao.

Ugh. Dad's supposed to be sending me the funds to work on it for my birthday, so I still don't have it. .-.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

MSI Vega 56 Air Boost with the free games $290 + tax - $30 rebate. This will go fast. I can't justify it since I just bought the 980 TI. Someone buy this in my steed!!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...63&ignorebbr=1

Edit: I couldn't hold out. Now to see if I win the Samsung memory lottery and can flash BIOS to Vega 64!

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Damn I'm going to send my 980Ti in for RMA because of blue screen issues in Overwatch and I saw this comes with DMC5 and RE2... I want both but I have such a big backlog I think I could just flip them and hold.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Damn I'm going to send my 980Ti in for RMA because of blue screen issues in Overwatch and I saw this comes with DMC5 and RE2... I want both but I have such a big backlog I think I could just flip them and hold.
    Ironically I'm sending the one I just bought in for RMA due to coil whine. Playing XI there isn't really any but that game isn't stressing the card. But throw on Far Cry 5 and yeah, periodic whine with stuttering. I'd still recommend EVGA B-Stock on the sheer fact of how good their warranty is.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Gigabyte Vega 56 for $280 before tax. Shellshocker deal and only available today. Reviews are not favorable but that's why you get a warranty I guess. I've done a number of RMA's and Gigabyte is a brand I have not had to do that with.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...30&ignorebbr=1

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I am currently engaging in beautiful, beautiful excess.

Bought myself an Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7-8750h and a Maxq RTX 2080, 144hz IPS G-Sync screen), cleaned up the bloatware and currently cloning the OS to a portable ssd. Once that's done I'll rip the bitch open and put in 32GB of RAM and 2x 2TB 970 EVO SSDs. All in a 15.6 laptop that weighs under 5 lbs.

It's expensive (tho I did actually properly budget for how much fucking money I dropped on this shit), but goddamn do I love the future.

Edit : whoa, the CPU comes undervolted by default. I'm sure I can push it lower but a computer already coming undervolted is wild.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag