Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looking to replace my ancient Z97 mobo because... DDR3. Going to keep using my 1080 for a while (month or so), but how does this look for switching over to AMD from a 4790K? I'll be using my existing NZXT Phantom 530 case, Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W modular PSU and Hyper 212 air cooler. The PSU is what I was sort of wondering about, nothing has changed in the past 5 years on those right?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhFmdX

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If you don't care about RGB, I'd go for this memory kit instead. Same memory, but without the RGB saving you a few dollars. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zcH...600c16d-32gvkc

I bought the same kit (except in 2x8) at the end of last year.

Here's the direct Amazon link, because PCPartpicker link isn't working. https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-PC4-2.../dp/B07Z45XB3G

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I was looking at that, and I absolutely don't care about RGB, but in the reviews for the Ripjaw V people mentioned not being able to use the XMP without crashing on a X570, and the Trident Zs that I found on Amazon (actually $179.99) specifically say they're for Ryzen. Dunno, could just be blowing smoke, like the 3600X being $20 more for a different stock cooler.

Edit: I'm sort of lazy and would much rather use a XMP than manually tune voltage and timings, if that helps.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm on a different motherboard (Asrock X570 Taichi), but am using that kit (in aforementioned 2x8) with a Ryzen 3600 (non-X) without any issues.

Edit: Forgot to say that I DO have XMP enabled.

Edit 2: Just noticed the power supply question. You should have no problems with re-using your current power supply.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Looking to replace my ancient Z97 mobo because... DDR3. Going to keep using my 1080 for a while (month or so), but how does this look for switching over to AMD from a 4790K? I'll be using my existing NZXT Phantom 530 case, Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W modular PSU and Hyper 212 air cooler. The PSU is what I was sort of wondering about, nothing has changed in the past 5 years on those right?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhFmdX
    Before making the ram purchase try to confirm using the motherboards support page the ram kit you're looking at buying is supported. Ryzen + motherboards have made improvements but it can still be an issue. I didn't do my homework when I bought my kit (G.Skill Trident 3200 CAS 16) and at the time of purchase the best I could run the ram on an Asus X370 (also known for lack of ram support) with a R7 1700X was 2666. I'm now running a 2700X on the same motherboard and after a number of BIOS updates and using the Ryzen Dram tuning tool I'm stable at 3000 CAS 16. Best I could get with XMP was 2800.

About the power supply the Toughpower Gold is listed on PSU Hierarchy charts as either a B tier or D tier. It depends on which exact model and there are a lot of different models. The OEM seems consistent throughout the 750w Gold Toughpower models that it's either FSP or CWT. Both make units for Corsair, EVGA, etc as well and are usually well regarded. I agree with Bardicrune that you shouldn't have an issue using it, especially if you haven't had issue which it sounds like you haven't. It's one of those things where you could choose to buy a new one just to have it or ride out the Thermaltake until it starts showing issues.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was looking at that, and I absolutely don't care about RGB, but in the reviews for the Ripjaw V people mentioned not being able to use the XMP without crashing on a X570, and the Trident Zs that I found on Amazon (actually $179.99) specifically say they're for Ryzen. Dunno, could just be blowing smoke, like the 3600X being $20 more for a different stock cooler.

Edit: I'm sort of lazy and would much rather use a XMP than manually tune voltage and timings, if that helps.
    I have 3000c14 stable on my G.Skill SniperX (3600c19), but looser timings (3000c16, 3200c16, etc.) and the XMP for 3600c19 both crash. I would advise just conceding to the inevitability of manual timings.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I hope MSi's products work better than their compatibility tab on their website (I usually use ASUS products, but for some reason most places are on back order for their comparable X570 board).

This is actually the version of the memory that I am looking at on Amazon, it just doesn't show up on part picker:
    https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Tride...309457&sr=8-16

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

So for people keeping up with tech is there an estimate on when monitors will be widely available again? My promotion's raise takes effect this week and was going to finally get a dual monitor setup but the monitors I was eyeing in one of Hardware Unboxed's vids are all sold out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    So for people keeping up with tech is there an estimate on when monitors will be widely available again? My promotion's raise takes effect this week and was going to finally get a dual monitor setup but the monitors I was eyeing in one of Hardware Unboxed's vids are all sold out.
    What monitor specs are you after? 2560x1440, 144hz, 4k, etc etc?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    What monitor specs are you after? 2560x1440, 144hz, 4k, etc etc?
    I was looking at LG's 27GL850-B: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-...ef=as_li_ss_tl

-144Hz
    -1ms
    -27 inches
    -DP ports
    -VESA Brackets to be compatible with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X262MRK...d=RUZUG79PZRY6

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I was looking at LG's 27GL850-B: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-...ef=as_li_ss_tl

-144Hz
    -1ms
    -27 inches
    -DP ports
    -VESA Brackets to be compatible with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X262MRK...d=RUZUG79PZRY6
    That looks like a Ferrari of monitors. Even searching for other monitors that use the same panel I'm not finding anything in stock. 1440P 144hz 1ms and IPS all in one seems to be quite the rare find.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I hope MSi's products work better than their compatibility tab on their website (I usually use ASUS products, but for some reason most places are on back order for their comparable X570 board).

This is actually the version of the memory that I am looking at on Amazon, it just doesn't show up on part picker:
    https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Tride...309457&sr=8-16
    The timings on this kit are worse than the previous.

Per G.Skill's QVL for that mobo, all 3 kits listed are compatible.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?...A718-22-22-42,

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you're at all interested in ascending to a higher plane of existence, look into this when the supply chain is back up and running. I bought one a month or two ago and I can't handle how awesome it is.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Bardicrune View Post
    The timings on this kit are worse than the previous.

Per G.Skill's QVL for that mobo, all 3 kits listed are compatible.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?...A718-22-22-42,
    Ah, you're right. I'll go with the Ripjaw, but haven't placed the order yet because Amazon is showing a delivery of sometime in fucking May even though it says in stock. I'll look around and see if I can find anyone else that can ship it sooner (Newegg is out of stock).

Everything else I've picked out can either be picked up today from Best Buy or arrives from Amazon within a week, but pretty much all of their G Skill RAM shows like May 11th.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    That looks like a Ferrari of monitors. Even searching for other monitors that use the same panel I'm not finding anything in stock. 1440P 144hz 1ms and IPS all in one seems to be quite the rare find.
    Yeah I'm not too familiar with hardware unfortunately. The first one in that vid looked like a good all-rounder so was trying to base off that.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah I'm not too familiar with hardware unfortunately. The first one in that vid looked like a good all-rounder so was trying to base off that.
    IPS and 1ms are hard to get in the same monitor. They exist, but they are expensive as hell. 1ms is more easy to find on a TN

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I've never owned a 1ms panel, but that is because I do not play anything remotely competitive. I couldn't tell you where to place that value. For people such as Gred who do play competitive games they want to have the low response and high refresh. I'm more of an eye candy person. I currently have a 2560x1440 144hz VA panel and wish I would've waited/saved and bought an IPS. Overall I do not have any complaints, but I know the IPS would look better (owned a 1080P IPS before). There is something to be said for the higher refresh rate tho.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A 144hz monitor you'd really hard pressed to notice less than 6ms. As long as the response time and refresh rate are comparable you're probably fine.

My laptop has the option to toggle the response time down from 6.7ish to 3 (144hz IPS display), but I've never been able to notice a difference other then the lower response time causing some inverse ghosting if I'm playing games that cap at 60 fps (fighting games etc)

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

a 144hz 4-6ms IPS display is absolutely fine and only the top of the top will notice any difference between 4ms and 1ms. refresh rate is incredibly important, though. once you go from 60 to 120 or 144 you will never be able to go back (240 is pretty difficult to sell though). likewise, going from standard widescreen to ultrawide can be gamechanging, like, actually gamechanging with how much shit fits on the screen.

The only downside to IPS is that anything short of the top of the range cutting edge will have some contrast issues, but that's a small price to pay for color accuracy and a viewing angle that doesn't eat ass

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag