BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you go with the 3090 instead of a 3080? Unless you're doing stuff like Blender, isn't the 3090 not even being closed to being pushed by current games?
    It isn't that the 3090 isn't close to being pushed because it very much can and will be pushed for going over 60fps at 1440p~4k. The reason the 3090 isn't worth it for average consumers is because it costs twice as much as a 3080 for a 5-15% performance boost. You're paying for 24GB of GDDR6X memory.

That said those of us with 3090s either got them because that's what was available or because money wasn't really a question for it lol. The xx60 and xx70 cards will always be the best value. 80 for enthusiasts, titan/90 for crazy people and professional use.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    It isn't that the 3090 isn't close to being pushed because it very much can and will be pushed for going over 60fps at 1440p~4k. The reason the 3090 isn't worth it for average consumers is because it costs twice as much as a 3080 for a 5-15% performance boost. You're paying for 24GB of GDDR6X memory.

That said those of us with 3090s either got them because that's what was available or because money wasn't really a question for it lol. The xx60 and xx70 cards will always be the best value. 80 for enthusiasts, titan/90 for crazy people and professional use.
    3080FE is really solid choice if you can get a msrp.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just a thought, I was quickly checking for what's to come in the future. Assuming chip/stock problems resolve itself in the coming months, what do you all feel about of what's to come?

3070/3080 Super
    and somewhere in the realm of news that Nvidia have set a hard date of sometime in 2022 to release their 40xx series GPUs

Better to wait a bit to see what the 3070/3080 Super brings, or completely wait for the next gen?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So super dumb question. I've never fucked with water cooling before, but possibly considering it for my next build. Part of the reason I've never dealt with it before was I was hesitant dealing with attaching and sealing my own hoses and such, but it looks like things now are getting to be all in one to the point where it's just mount the radiator/fan unit, clamp the heat sink to the cpu and it's done? So for say something like this, how does it handle liquid? Is it basically sealed and just reuses what's pre-loaded, or do I still need to every once in a while add fresh liquid?

https://phanteks.com/Glacier-One-MP.html

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

An AIO cooler like that you just mount everything plug it in and forget about it. If it's properly made by the time you'd have to think about the liquid getting low you've already replaced it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Do any of the major GPU manufacturer sell cards with a AIO, or would I have to buy that separate and mount it to the GPU?

Yup, looks like they do. Now the trick is to get a GPU since that seems to be harder than the rest of the components.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

EVGA has one, or they usually do. Not sure about this gen

Finished my loop and the PC is almost finished now, just need one more cable. Preview:

Spoiler: show

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

EVGA and Asus both offer 3000 series cards that have built AIO water coolers, maybe some of the others too.

But they'd be even harder to get your hands on then a standard air cooled card

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, wouldn't be shocked. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush. Can just takey time and if I get lucky, I get lucky.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

RIP if you got saddled with one of these Gigabyte PSU's via newegg shuffle

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Man.. Gigabyte usually makes good stuff. I guess not PSU's.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well, my monitor is dying. Got a nasty black shadow building from the bottom of the screen.

I guess I'll accept ultra wife's but what are the best 1440p monitors out there? I'm eventually going to rebuild my PC anyways with a 3080, so I'm not concerned about taking full advantage on my old system, as I'll be fully tapping it out in a few months.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Unless you play fast paced games fairly competitively and need 200-300 FPS, there's not much reason to limit yourself to 1440p with a card as powerful as the 3080. In a single monitor setup, it can run well optimized games at 4k high-ultra with 100-120 FPS.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Ahh, well I'm open to a 4k monitor as well. Part of going with a 3080 is to run an HDMI to my 4k OLED when I'm not playing a fps or RTS game

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Random question but, is it normal for games to have microstutters on borderless window settings but not in exclusive full-screen? Mainly applying to ffxiv, obviously i run stuff on my 2nd monitor such as discord or just a video on youtube or spotify/music player like winamp to play music. The game still clocks the max framerate according to the ffxiv system settings, but the game has little weird stutters. Most notably when moving the camera around.

My nvidia gsync settings are set to work on both fullscreen and windowed mode, and for the sake of fighting games, i default have the vsync settings on from the nvidia control panel while leaving the in game vsync settings off. Are the vsync settings supposed to be set to adaptive or fast or just on per what i’ve read that it’s safe to use that setting over the in-game vsync per game?

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki View Post
    Random question but, is it normal for games to have microstutters on borderless window settings but not in exclusive full-screen? Mainly applying to ffxiv, obviously i run stuff on my 2nd monitor such as discord or just a video on youtube or spotify/music player like winamp to play music. The game still clocks the max framerate according to the ffxiv system settings, but the game has little weird stutters. Most notably when moving the camera around.

My nvidia gsync settings are set to work on both fullscreen and windowed mode, and for the sake of fighting games, i default have the vsync settings on from the nvidia control panel while leaving the in game vsync settings off. Are the vsync settings supposed to be set to adaptive or fast or just on per what i’ve read that it’s safe to use that setting over the in-game vsync per game?
    I've been noticing something similar where if I load a web page on a 2nd monitor some times FFXIV will freeze for a moment

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some game engines just don't like windowed full screen. Most games you'll honestly never notice a difference between borderless or exclusive outside of the maybe losing a nearly imperceptible amount of fps.

As for the second part, I've generally heard that it should be vsync On from the control panel and leave in game disabled (since many games even today will tie triple buffering to the vsync setting).

Also use an fps limiter of some kind (one of which is built into the Nvidia Control Panel) to cap your frame rate to just under your refresh rate. I usually do it a few extra to leave myself at a nice even number (ie my 165hz display is capped at 160)

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

PC Build Advice/Review II: 3090 or Bust.

Also running exclusive full screen for me sucks because the screen blacks out for a second if i decide to go to my second monitor at any moment, then when i go back to ff, the screen blacks out again for a second. Pc is more than capable of running the game correctly (ryzen 5800X, 3080, 32GB ram).

I’ll look into capping the framerate to 160 to see if that helps. Do you do it generally in the control panel or per application basis? Yea that’s also what i’ve read, i leave the vsync on in the control panel only and off in all games. You may be correct because strive runs flawlessly.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I use msi afterburner to cap my fps because I'm anal retentive about monitoring my temps and cpu/gpu usage, but it should just be an option you can set in the global profile in NVCP.

Capping the fps to right under your refresh is more of a latency thing then what you're seeing the stutters. When your fps hits the limit of the refresh rate it can add a little bit of latency, capping it just under will prevent it.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I have the same issue, and chalk it up FFXIV in windowed mode (whether it be normal or borderless window) simply doesn't work with VRR. I've got a freesync monitor and a 3060, and VRR works exactly as advertised in full-screen mode, but stuttering galore in any windowed mode.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag