Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I can say that that is not always the case. I run XIV in borderless windowed mode on both computers (3090 in 1, 3080 mobile in the other) on gsync panels and there's no issues. Might be the freesync implementation in particular rather than VRR in general.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Rumored availability in-store Thursday at selected Best Buys, similar to how they did it last time.

https://twitter.com/GPURestock/statu...365050372?s=20

Reddit discussion thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...rop_this_week/

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So, assuming I can get a GPU sometime this lifetime, I'm thinking of this for my PC build. Any thoughts or suggestions? I also am so far out of the loop, I don't even know what the standard is now for power supplies. Assuming I'll need a 650+ as I'll be running either a 3080 or 3080TI. I'm looking at this system lasting me a good 7-10 years assuming no parts failure.

AMD Ryzen 5900X
    Asus ROG Strix X-570E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 32gb (2x 16gb Sticks)
    Phanteks P600s Case w/ a Glacier One 360MP CPU AIO Cooler
    Samsung 980 Pro SSD

Also monitor recommendations greatly recommended. 4k at a decent price would be nice, but not necessary as depending on what kind of game I'm playing, I can just run an HDMI to my 55" OLED. Computer monitor will be mainly for D2 Remastered, FPS, and RTS style games.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I snagged a 3080 off the Newegg shuffle and now all I do is look at new cases and PC parts to upgrade everything else lol.

I wanted to go as small/compact a case as possible with the 3080 and maybe my nhd15 but I don't want it to be loud or too hot. Just tired of having a larger case.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Basically I hate aio's and I hate noise and loud cases and high temps and large/heavy cases.

Sucks.

I feel like this is one of those Triangle's where you need to pick two things.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    I feel like this is one of those Triangle's where you need to pick two things.
    Nope I want a perfect triangle. None of that obtuse or acute shit. I want the most mundane boring middle of the road thing there is because I hate all things equally.

Actually I would go insane if my case made noise it's why I never went full water cause I couldn't find a fan/rad setup that was silent enough for me.

SILENCE FIRST

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Speaking of the shuffle, today's is fuck all awful. I hate MSI and Gigabyte (outside of MSI motherboards) and the two Asus 3080(ti's) listed are bundled with monitors. One is a 1080p monitor, the other is a 1440p that uses amd free sync.

No EVGA listed unless they add them last minute

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Confirmed for tomorrow (Thursday). I'm probably going to drive to a store after work tonight (unfortunately a little over an hour away) and check out the situation.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-com...t1619723841347

Edit: Just noticed that the Best Buy site does NOT list all the stores from the twitter leak yesterday. May want to double check before heading out anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Rumored availability in-store Thursday at selected Best Buys, similar to how they did it last time.

https://twitter.com/GPURestock/statu...365050372?s=20

Reddit discussion thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...rop_this_week/

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Nope I want a perfect triangle. None of that obtuse or acute shit. I want the most mundane boring middle-of-the-road thing there is because I hate all things equally.

Actually I would go insane if my case made noise it's why I never went full water cause I couldn't find a fan/rad setup that was silent enough for me.

SILENCE FIRST
    This is overboard, but i think you would love my setup at home. When we 1st bought the house, i wired the thing with ethernet to every room (Fucking hate wifi). When doing this, I also ran a PCP pipe from the basement to my gaming/office room. I did this so that i could keep my PC in the nice and cool basement, and run all the wires through the pipe to an outlet.

Wires come out of here:

The digital age makes having your computer in the same room a non-issue.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Confirmed for tomorrow (Thursday). I'm probably going to drive to a store after work tonight (unfortunately a little over an hour away) and check out the situation.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-com...t1619723841347

Edit: Just noticed that the Best Buy site does NOT list all the stores from the twitter leak yesterday. May want to double check before heading out anywhere.
    Best Buy website is updated with more stores.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

This is overboard, but i think you would love my setup at home. When we 1st bought the house, i wired the thing with ethernet to every room (Fucking hate wifi). When doing this, I also ran a PCP pipe from the basement to my gaming/office room. I did this so that i could keep my PC in the nice and cool basement, and run all the wires through the pipe to an outlet.

Wires come out of here:

The digital age makes having your computer in the same room a non-issue.
    You ran DisplayPort or other high-end monitor cables and peripheral cables up from your basement? How many feet did you use lol. I'm sitting here thinking about the length of cable I would need to get to my basement from the second floor lmao.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Late but there's not really any reasonable way to have a quiet SFF build that performs well thermally without an AIO or custom loop. You'll need to go at least mid tower to go all air and retain decent thermals and for a 3080 and any reasonably powered CPU you will have to run the fans at least at 50% RPM.

Sounds like you better learn how to build a loop, run your PC into a closet, or accept that your shit's gonna start to throttle me hearty.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Late but there's not really any reasonable way to have a quiet SFF build that performs well thermally without an AIO or custom loop. You'll need to go at least mid tower to go all air and retain decent thermals and for a 3080 and any reasonably powered CPU you will have to run the fans at least at 50% RPM.

Sounds like you better learn how to build a loop, run your PC into a closet, or accept that your shit's gonna start to throttle me hearty.
    I don't mind going aio my experience with my last 3 however is that they suck, generally. I have considered a full loop hundreds of times but I've never seen a full loop actually run quieter than big air NHD15 I guess the fans were always too small or just not noctua quality.

Aio's always either have meh fans or the pumps have always made noise for me. I know you can swap fans out but would it still actually be quieter than an NHD15 or is it just to meet the form factor.

There are SOME compact cases (not truly sff) that fit an NHD15 and 3080 but I'm sure they get pretty warm, but as long as they are quiet it's not a big deal to me.

You ran DisplayPort or other high-end monitor cables and peripheral cables up from your basement? How many feet did you use lol. I'm sitting here thinking about the length of cable I would need to get to my basement from the second floor lmao.
    20 feet. It sits in a server rack that i have attached to the joists in my basement. The computer sits right under the desk in my office (With a floor between). I already had my rack in the basement to keep the temps cool during the summer.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

20 feet. It sits in a server rack that i have attached to the joists in my basement. The computer sits right under the desk in my office (With a floor between). I already had my rack in the basement to keep the temps cool during the summer.
    I would need a ton more length.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Why did I go down this road...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That seems a little bit hardcore, I'm sure a PVC pipe would have done just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    That seems a little bit hardcore, I'm sure a PVC pipe would have done just fine...

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I don't mind going aio my experience with my last 3 however is that they suck, generally. I have considered a full loop hundreds of times but I've never seen a full loop actually run quieter than big air NHD15 I guess the fans were always too small or just not noctua quality.

Aio's always either have meh fans or the pumps have always made noise for me. I know you can swap fans out but would it still actually be quieter than an NHD15 or is it just to meet the form factor.

There are SOME compact cases (not truly sff) that fit an NHD15 and 3080 but I'm sure they get pretty warm, but as long as they are quiet it's not a big deal to me.
    If you can find something that can fit 2 360s or 2 240s in the sort of form factor you're looking for, there's no reason you'd ever need to have the fans over 20%. My loop is consistently around 30-35C water temp (not component temp, that's irrelevant when you go water) with the highest recorded over the last month and a half of it being assembled being 41C under a full mining load when I turned the HVAC up to 75F and my fan curve is set for 5%~20% based on pump RPM, which is based on water temp (100% get a temperature probe if you ever do a loop, the corsair D5 pump comes with one by default). Can probably get away with 5% or 10% just full time if you don't mind creeping a little closer to the 60C pump death plateau. Pump itself is also completely silent if you get a D5 (any brand, same shit) and let it bleed. This is with 2 slim 360mm rads. Thick boys would perform even better but that's a different class of case than what you want.

There are some small/SFF cases that can handle 2x 240mm but I do suggest at least going mid tower in general. Essentially, a water loop can and often will be completely inaudible if build properly with quality parts. I can hear my laptop in the other room before I can hear a single fan in this thing, and that's with ten of them installed.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag