• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 202 of 220 FirstFirst ... 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 ... LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So, couple instances of the adapter cables for the 4090's catching fire.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

i haven't really delved into the architecture but does anyone know why the power draws on the Nvidia/Intel lines are so fuckin bonkers? they just brute forcing in more cores without commensurate thermal advances or wat

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For nvidia there is no reason other than corporate flexing. I posted about it a little bit ago so I'll just quote myself

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Information has been getting to be a hot topic but for 4090 bros who aren't in the know: setting your card to a 60-70% power limit will cut power consumption by ~100w and lose you only a couple percent in performance. Talking 1-4fps in just about any game. You can bring it down even lower too but the performance loss gets a bit more precipitous as you go down. Lowest I'd go is 50%. 35-40% is around the limit where it starts to really tank. I'll prolly keep mine at 60% and call it a day. Have also tried manual undervolting curves but they really didn't make any difference.

It's really weird that nvidia didn't just ship the cards this way. Would've looked a lot better in the press if they put out a monstrous card with the efficiency that it is actually capable of achieving while leaving that bit of OC headroom for people who care. Personally don't mind losing such a tiny amount of performance in exchange for massive energy savings. AMD did the same thing with AM5 too. Ignoring the horrible price to performance of the ecosystem right now, turning on eco mode for zen 4 cuts power consumption in half for a nearly imperceptible degradation in performance. Wonder if Intel 13th Gen is the same.

Really weird stuff.
    And a graph showing a few data points:

For intel it might genuinely be architectural limitations. They're still way behind on both chiplet design standards and manufacturing efficiency. Most of what keeps Intel in the game is the fact that they basically have bottomless money to throw at R&D and marketing

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The desire for massive performance gains with every single generation to try to drive consumer FOMO and try to keep people from sitting on their still totally acceptable previous gen GPUs/CPUs

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    i haven't really delved into the architecture but does anyone know why the power draws on the Nvidia/Intel lines are so fuckin bonkers? they just brute forcing in more cores without commensurate thermal advances or wat
    A lot of it is reviewers deciding who "won" by looking at benchmarks and ignoring perf/watt and power draw/temps.

30% more power for 2% more perf is worth it if the review community decides you got the crown.... it's so stupid.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

This may have been better for the parts thread but since it's technically advice...

Anyone have any advice on a good MMO mouse? My Logitech G600 bit the dust so I'm in the market for a new one since a replacement would take weeks to get here according to Amazon.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Best buy says the G600 will ship by Thursday.

BG Level

Oh wow it does. When I looked earlier I could have sworn it said Saturday.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I replaced my Logitech MMO Mouse with a Corsair Scimitar about a year ago and that has been working great.

Loved my Logitech one, but the mouse wheel was starting to get worn out and was registering extra clicks, which was screwing me up cycling through weapons in FPS games.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

ive had a naga pro for a couple of years now. normally hate razer and everything about their products but took a gamble here cause they started using optical switches. can say that they helped the main big problem ive had with razer mice: after 6-12mo, they usually start double clicking. not here though. much harder for the switch to wear down when it's just a piece of plastic moving in front of a laser.

I second the corsair. I had 2 g600s and they both broke after 3-6 months every time. I do like the 3rd mouse button though.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I just don't like wired mice and haven't run into any issue with the Naga Pro. The Chroma I had before that also lasted about 5 years.

BG Level

I might try the Corsair if this G600 I have coming fails. I remember having a Naga back in the early/mid 2010s and it worked for a few years but after some time the left mouse button got locked and the mouse wouldn't do jack crap

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

https://www.engadget.com/amd-rdna3-g...202134224.html

Dec. 13
    RX 7900 XTX - $1k
    RX 7900 XT - $900

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Dp2.1, but I dunno if I can bring myself to go full AMD. Will wait for performance tests

Those fake ass 8k marketing tactics though..

3840x1600 isnt considered 4k why are they calling 7680 x 2160 8k lol

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

AMD offerings look very good for pure priceerformance if their advertised numbers track. We'll see when benchmarks start dropping. Even if not, almost half the price for anything north of 50% the performance of a 4090 would be excellent, and I'd expect at least 80%.

The hangup would be on things like rtx performance, encoding performance, software support, etc. but it's harder to put a blanket price on all of that when not everyone uses or cares about those features.

For me I'm sticking to my 4090, but amd should be a compelling option for more budget minded (1000 is still a lot but it isn't nearly 2k...) gamers who want the best pure raster performance.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Turns out EVGA had approximately 20 working prototypes of their 4090's that they gifted out/sold to some reviewers, including Gamers Nexus and Jayz2Cents. Benchmark wise, it looks like it would have inevitably smoked the FE cards if Nvidia didn't drive EVGA to stop making cards all together.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do they also melt the cables though?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

From what I've seen/read, it looks like it's how the cables are manufactured more than the card itself.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag