• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 219 FirstFirst ... 153 193 201 202 203 204 205 213 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've seen people even with an ATX 3.0 psu getting the melted connectors.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh damn. I missed that. Was sick all weekend so haven't been following much. Between the 4090 fires though, and Samsung releasing an update that bricks your Watch 4 if you power it down or it runs out of battery, technology is scaring me right now lol.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

The power connector on the EVGA prototype is facing the front/anterior side of a case as opposed to all other models having the connector pressed up against the side of the case. So maybe EVGA's version would be less likely to have cables catch fire if cables don't require extreme bending right off the card. It's also 2 inches shorter than the Strix and it's about the size of the Founders.

So it should be noted that these aren't starting fires, the plastic is literally melting from the outside in, it's just getting too hot for the plastic, it's not going to actually ignite anything. Also this seems like a small defect issue that only effects certain cards and even then a very small number of them. No FE cards have had the melting issue and all the issues have happened extremely quickly. One even happened the day the person that reported it started using the card. I think it's probably an issue with the female outlets that are actually on the cards not letting the connectors seat properly which is why we are seeing different cables having the issue and why no one has been able to reproduce the issue at any point.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

yeah seeing all the hysteria on reddit about 4090s burning down houses when there hasn't been a single case of an active fire being started by the connector yet has been funny. still bullshit that a $1600~$2000 GPU has the risk of being bricked because of the connector that they chose to use, but yeah. luckily ordered a cablemod 12+4 well ahead of release since I use their stuff in my builds anyway so haven't had to worry much about it, but if I was using a standard adapter I'd be worried every day

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

GN's actual testing and recreation of a melting connector.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

looks like that crazy 45" flexible corsair ultrawide monitor will be coming soonish. theyre preparing a big marketing push

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Multi-part question regarding setting up a home VPN.

Looking for suggestions on a mid- or high-end router that has VPN server support (presumably OpenVPN or WireGuard?). My anecdotal information is that TP Link is decently well known for working well with VPN but otherwise isn't considered particularly high end. I've got Fios and do a fair amount of both internet and internal traffic. Any recommendations there is appreciated. I start getting charged monthly for the Verizon router (which has otherwise been rather good) in January.

The other option would be to repurpose an older PC -- if that's possible -- into some sort of server that hosts a VPN. That's something I haven't researched there so any suggestions (or warnings) on that path are also appreciated.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If you have an old PC you can repurpose, you could always just turn it into a router/vpn/firewall using pfSense.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Speaking of VPN's, my college wifi won't let me do anything fun - will a VPN fix that? What's the cheapest option to enable me to play games on break?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Multi-part question regarding setting up a home VPN.

Looking for suggestions on a mid- or high-end router that has VPN server support (presumably OpenVPN or WireGuard?). My anecdotal information is that TP Link is decently well known for working well with VPN but otherwise isn't considered particularly high end. I've got Fios and do a fair amount of both internet and internal traffic. Any recommendations there is appreciated. I start getting charged monthly for the Verizon router (which has otherwise been rather good) in January.

The other option would be to repurpose an older PC -- if that's possible -- into some sort of server that hosts a VPN. That's something I haven't researched there so any suggestions (or warnings) on that path are also appreciated.
    I bought this TP-Link AX11000 from Costco when it was on sale. I've also seen it go on sale at Amazon, but Costco was cheaper at the time. I don't use the VPN functionality, so I can't say how it is, but I'm in the UI now and I see that it uses OpenVPN so it's there. So far it's worked out really well for me. I had CenturyLink fiber, and now Google fiber, and no issues with the speeds. It doesn't support Google's multi-gig though. It does have a 2GB WAN port, but from what I've read you can't plug Google fiber into that, if that's something that would matter to you.

Most of the Asus ones have this feature as well.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ok weird question I haven't been able to find via googling or hunting storefronts.

Does the device exist to allow you to switch between USB devices connected to a single computer? i.e. output to the computer, input A has two usb devices, input B has two different usb devices. In this case it would allow an arcade setup I'm building to switch between the built in dual arcade sticks and two wired controllers in case people want to use those over the sticks.

I could wire this up myself but I'd rather not spend the time soldering it if it already exists.

Edit : actually you know what, I think a KVM switch I already have will work if I use a usb splitter on the separate outputs and the Pi connected to the input side.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

On a quick search the best thing I could find is a USB hub with individual power switches, and I'd think that could be wired up to look fairly nice (more so than just something like a USB extender where you swap the cables as needed, certainly).

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Por.../dp/B00JX1ZS5O

Maybe something like that works for you.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That actually might work better than what I was thinking, would let people mix and match their preferred control method.

Thanks

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can second those powered USB hubs. Not as elegant a solution as you may have wanted but it works

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Review embargo for the 7900 RX and XTX is lifted.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The 7900XT manages to look pretty awful in terms of price : performance even though nvidia basically handed AMD the price : performance trophy on a silver platter. 7900XTX is the one to buy if you want the best that Team Red is offering. The sub-80/90 SKUs this gen are going to be horrible for both sides.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Yeah, that lineup is an instant pass lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What are ya'll looking at, exactly?

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag