Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Only thought is that my gpu won't be on water unless I put a water block on it and that's one thing I've never done.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It isn't that bad. Scary the first time but not particularly difficult. Obviously need to be careful but that goes for anything PC related.

If you end up doing it at all I will suggest either getting Corsair Hydro X parts (cheaper) or EK parts (more expensive but nicer). Easy to install, quality parts. Corsair fittings are better than EK ones however. That said the primary deterrent to a custom loop is cost. Mine cost over a grand plus hours to assemble so that's a consideration. It's cheaper and easier if you go for softline tubing though.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Finally got a 3080 FE... now I can relax!

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Assuming their website didn't lie, just managed to get a Ryzen 5900 and a EVGA FTW 3080TI for only 180 over MSRP.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well, bit the bullet, bought everything, unbox the case, pull out the Corsair AIO, and of course the case doesn't support it. Have to return that and drop to a 240.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    That said the primary deterrent to a custom loop is cost. Mine cost over a grand plus hours to assemble so that's a consideration. It's cheaper and easier if you go for softline tubing though.
    I've had a Samsung 980 Pro sitting on my desk for 2 months because I'm too lazy to drain the loop.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Mood. I was supposed to swap boards to a workstation board and a new top rad about a year ago and never did because custom loop. It's soft tubing even. Makes everything to do with changing parts in your PC a chore.

If I can ever find (or make) a damn TPM module for the other board I might go ahead and swap. Another point of laziness.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think my main hangup in the future will be the fact that any new gpu I buy will have an added $300-400 price on top for a new block. Still worth it to me for the aesthetics and silent operation but we've long since gotten beyond water cooling having any massive bonuses for actual performance.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I don't regret it. It's my daily driver workstation since I work from home. Even while mining at around 300w on the 3090 it's quiet.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Why did I go down this road...

I am probably legit doing this. I don't want to give up my NHD15 and I also want a smaller form factor case. There are options I don't really want to do any customization.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Is anyone here desperate for a 3070 Ti? My spot in the EVGA queue came up and I'm not planning to get it for myself. I'm the first to admit this card is a pretty poor value, but if someone is really needing a card we could try to work something out.

I've got about 4-5 hours to place the order before it expires.

Edit: link expired

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

PG279QM finally dropped in the US and received mine. So far, worth every penny as advertised.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Last cable finally came in so the PC is more or less finished. There are a lot of problems but I'm really not interested in fixing any of it at this point.

https://gfycat.com/forcefulheartfelt...hinchillamouse

Spoiler: show

Notes:
    -The tubes came out like shit. I used the corsair satin hardline and the material was a pain in the ass compared to the tubing I've used before. Bubbled and bent within a very very small margin and even tiny mistakes ruined the satin finish and made it look like ass. The bends and cuts are completely shit as a result. In the end it was functional so this is what I've got.

-I fucked up when installing the PSU plate. The cable leading from that rgb strip to the back of the case slipped my mind, so mow it looks like shit.

-other cables toward the back I can't do much with. The USB connectors and temperature probes are more or less set in their positions. They don't look too awful though.

-Cable training on the Mobo power cable is rough. These mod flex cables have an awkward stiffness level of "cooked spaghetti" when you want rigidity and "rebar" when you want to try to make a bend. It's more or less as good as I could get it to be while still being able to close the case.

Overall I'm OK with how it ended up but it could have been better. Next build I will not use this tubing again and I'm going to try some other strategies with the cabling. Ultimately it achieves its primary purpose; silent, stable temperatures with no throttling under load with a heavy OC, and no fear of baking the VRAM off I'd my 3090 while mining.

Also since the camera blows the fuck out of the plates, here were the designs. They are rendered beautifully to the naked eye.

PSU Shroud Plate

GPU Bracket/PCIe Slot Cover

GPU Backplate

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sick af, the entire design built around ffxiv and the lighting gives it a nice feel yet doesn’t seem intrusive to the eye.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

That's awesome. I absolutely suck with cable management, so I finally said fuck it when I was a cpu fan not detected error on my AIO cooler, so I wound up paying the place I bought all the parts from to do the cables for me and it came out clean as fuck. Happy with how everything looks, and so far, temperatures have been extremely stable, but I also haven't done any OCing with mine yet.

Here's a couple.of quick pictures I took of mine after I got it back from the shop about three weeks ago.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Also, with that GPU plate, did you ever think of maybe going vertical mount on your GPU to better show it off, cause that is damn good.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thanks doods. As these things always go I changed the lighting right after taking pictures and made half of the LEDs on some parts a dull-ish white to bring out some more details and enhance the natural colors of the case and blocks. If only I had thought of it 10 minutes sooner. I did think about vertical mounting but by the time I was actually sold on the idea I had already cut and bent the tubes for the GPU so I didn't do it. The block itself actually looks extremely good so I'm not sure if I would've run the plate for it so that was another dilemma.

Pic of someone else's

That looks really, really clean Melena! The cables that connect front panel USB are the worst. Hiding them is impossible and theyre so ugly. Anything that comes out of the side is also hard to work with. They definitely have done a great job with all of that.

Assuming you're running AMD, I'd just turn on PBO in bios and give it a - 5 or - 10 all core target and call it a day on cpu. AMD has their cpus capable of running mostly optimally put of the nlx for games. Can milk out some all core performance for workloads with something like CTR but that's extraneous imo.

GPU is annoying this Gen though. Undervolting is advisable since nvidia set their power targets way too high. Grabbing afterburner and setting up a curve can save quite a bit of power for no performance loss, and usually even a bit of a boost. Inversely, bumping up the clock speed and power draw doesn't gain a whole ton, but depending on your luck in the silicon lottery you can outstrip a stock 3090 with a core clock bump. Memory is almost always worth sliding up though. I haven't seen many ampere cards that can't handle between +800 and +1200 there.

In any case, great looking rig, hope you enjoy it!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, I'm AMD. Cost me more then what I spent on my last two computers combined, but decided to YOLO this one. My last computer was a low mid range computer, and after 7 years, it was showing it's age. Leaving chrome or firefox overnight would tap out 99% of the ram, and the 256gb SSD I had for OS was just getting completely tapped out, even with me re-directing installs to my 3tb SATA HDD.

Hoping the only upgrade I'll need to do in the next few years is fill the other SSD slot with another 2tb card.

Ryzen 5900
    Asus ROG Dark Hero VIII Mobo
    8gb x4 Corsair DDR4 3200 memory
    Samsun 980 Pro 2TB SSD
    EVGA RTX 3080TI Graphics Card
    Corsair 240mm AIO CPU Cooler.
    Corsair 4000x RGB Mid Case

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I also love that gpu backplate. Was that custom made?

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don’t think i ever showed my final build, tho i got desperate with getting the cpu, (5800X during the shortage instead of hunting for the 5900X), i’m extremely happy with it. Shoutout again to Celeras for getting me the 3080 hookup.

Using an NZXT H700 case, the cable management in this case seriously is very good and made it easy to work with, very happy with it. I chose the H700 because i didn’t want to go super heavy with RGB, and while there is some RGB, it doesn’t blow up my eyes.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag