Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

EVGA is and always has been best in the industry for customer service. If the cooler on the FE wasn't so good and I was able to actually buy any card that I wanted this gen I too would have gotten an EVGA (and prolly slapped an AIO mod on it)

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'm wanting to build a NAS. Anyone have any spare older intel mobo/CPU combos or other hardware they'd be willing to sale? Even as old as an i5 2000 or 3000 series.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I'm wanting to build a NAS. Anyone have any spare older intel mobo/CPU combos or other hardware they'd be willing to sale? Even as old as an i5 2000 or 3000 series.
    How old are you willing to go? If you saw my post on Buy/Sell a while ago, I'm cleaning out an estate. I found a ton of old motherboards some with chips still on them, but I have no idea what works and doesn't. There was also a loose i3-2130. Pay the shipping and I'll send you everything I can gather.

Alternatively, I have a spare PC with an Intel i5 8400 and ASRock 310M-HDV that I've been trying to sell. Those two parts are basically brand new, they were in an unopened MicroCenter prebuilt in said estate. I Frankenstein'd it together with a bunch of other spare parts to turn it into a 1080p gaming PC. I would gut the MoBo/CPU for you. Would you be interested at $175? That's what the CPU goes for new on eBay right now w/o a board. There is also a Windows 10 Pro digital license embedded in the motherboard.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Do you have an old 1155 board for the 2130? That would absolutely work. If you have any old ram that would fit, I'd take that too. Just let me know what you may have.

Also, you mentioned camera lenses in that thread. Did you ever look at those?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Do you have an old 1155 board for the 2130? That would absolutely work. If you have any old ram that would fit, I'd take that too. Just let me know what you may have.

Also, you mentioned camera lenses in that thread. Did you ever look at those?
    I will double check.

And yea I found lots of cameras and accessories, I just haven't had the time to sit down, inventory it, and then research what exactly I had (and what my starting prices should be).

BG Level

we know for sure when the Surface Pro 8 is coming out? looking at 2-in-1s and while Surface Pro 7 is one of the best in class gettin long in the tooth and timing is garbo if the new line is launching this year.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

New best in class 2 in 1 is the Asus Flow but you pay the premium for excellence.

BG Level

Proth please i'm a graduate student

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I believe in your abilities

Fr tho the Flow is actually v stupid in terms of cost effectiveness. The g14 or G15 serve as much better price to performance (though the Flow's little proprietary egpu station shits on them, the price is exorbitant because of it) options for hybrid gaming+work machines (which, any of these Asus ones are only valuable to people looking to buy a new work/school computer and a gaming one at the same time) which makes the Flow a bit confusing on the product stack.

In a few years when they have paid off their engineering costs for this thing maybe it'll be something I can genuinely recommend.

As for your actual question, Microsoft has been tight lipped on a surface 8. I'd say expect it by April-June.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    we know for sure when the Surface Pro 8 is coming out? looking at 2-in-1s and while Surface Pro 7 is one of the best in class gettin long in the tooth and timing is garbo if the new line is launching this year.
    Surface Pros are strange. They haven't changed the form factor since the 3 or 4, which is kind of nice in a business environment but it's getting a bit stale. That's 6 (maybe 7) years now. There's no word if the same will be true of the 8... in recent years all they've done is incrementally update the chip inside. All that being said, they do some pretty decent sales as time goes on (I see $200-400 off right now, sales come and go frequently) so that's a chance to save a little money by going with a 7.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm looking for some advice; I'm finally getting around to upgrading my HDD to a SSD. Some questions about the OS/Boot transfer process;

1) When I'm cloning my C drive/boot/etc from my HDD to SSD, are there any good, ideally free, programs anyone can recommend? Also, is it strictly a 1 for 1 clone? Or can I de-select certain folders to be cloned? For example, out of the 800GB's currently used by my HDD, 450GB's are music and video files that I'd rather keep on my HDD and continue to use as extra storage

And 2) After getting the cloning done and the boot setup and etc, is it worth keeping the startup and OS files and etc on my HDD? And in line with that, for people who have made the move before, what sort of HDD cleanup should I do after migrating in order to make it a more strictly storage kinda drive? Hypothetically, if I keep a program I frequently use on my HDD that I've cloned onto my SSD, even after changing the boot to the SSD, do I have to worry about if my PC will try running it from my HDD still? How thorough do I have to be with this stuff?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Depending on the program, you can de-select. Acronis True Image, which you can use if you are cloning to a WD Drive, lets you de-select. Freeware cloning tools tend to be strictly 1:1. I would recommend Macrium Reflect for free programs.

Another option that is available to you, if you have a Ryzen chip, is to use the StoreMI utility to pair your SSD and HDD into a single virtual drive. The program will treat the SSD like flash DRAM on an SSHD and move frequently used files (i.e. your OS). The benefits of this is that you don't have to deal with cloning, moving files, etc. It's built for someone like you that has everything set up on an HDD already and wants to move to an SSD.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ohh, that does sound incredibly convenient. Unfortunately I'm using an Intel CPU so I don't think that's an option for me. I also picked up a Crucial SSD if that makes any difference =X. From what I've been reading, once I initialize and setup the SSD to be booted from, it should be recognized as my C drive, so that more or less answers my question about whether my programs would run from the old HDD or not... I think

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You could theoretically make them run from the old drive if you navigated to the program files directory of the old drive and opened the executable program from there, but by default your desktop shortcuts and such will routed through your C drive. But many people use the ability to open executables from a secondary drive to keep games they don't use frequently on an HDD (or even a cheaper SSD if they have an NVMe / SSD / HDD set-up).

How you go about cleaning up the HDD is going to depend on the level of redunancy you want to build in. Are you scared of needing to switch back to the HDD if something catastrophic happens to the SSD, or do you have a separate back-up drive that you could restore from and don't need to worry about it?

And I don't know offhand if Crucial offers an SSD toolbox with a cloning utility and what extra features, if any, is included with it. I'm going to assume that you are going to be stuck using Macrium Reflect to clone, so I will tell you what I would do in your position, assuming that I either had a separate backup drive I could image a full set-up of both drives on or that I didn't care about a backup. I would clone everything to the SSD. Boot the SSD and verify it works. Format the HDD into a pure data drive with one partition. Move movies/music back onto the HDD.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah after doing some more reading last night, what you're advising me to do was very much in line with what I was reading. Luckily I picked up a 1TB SSD so cloning 1 to 1 shouldn't be a problem and then I can just transfer back to the formatted HDD after.

Also gives me a reason to go through my videos and get rid if all the ones I don't need anymore

Thanks for the advice Gred!

BG Level

alright you dork ass nerds think i've settled my $1000ish school and emulation laptop quest on either the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex, the Dell XPS 13, or HP Spectre x360

alternatively if this year's offerings look dope af i could just grab a cheapo Chromebook for the nonce and grab a refreshed line later down the line (like Surface Pro 8)

SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD HAVE SAVED ME FROM A SUBOPTIMAL LAPTOP PURCHASE

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

alright you dork ass nerds think i've settled my $1000ish school and emulation laptop quest on either the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex, the Dell XPS 13, or HP Spectre x360

alternatively if this year's offerings look dope af i could just grab a cheapo Chromebook for the nonce and grab a refreshed line later down the line (like Surface Pro 8)

SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD HAVE SAVED ME FROM A SUBOPTIMAL LAPTOP PURCHASE
    I mean is there any specific requires you need for it being a school laptop besides portability? For $1000 there a bunch of high powered laptops you could bargain hunt for like the Gateway Creators' series (RTX 2060 + 120hz screen for $700).

I got my newest laptop, an Alienware 15r1 with a 2070 and 240Hz screen, for $950.

BG Level

not really, serious gaming is mostly irrelevant as i have my desktop. just looking to maximize productivity i suppose. nice screen and proper keyboard, classy enough finish so i can style on these hos, 2-in-1 is a plus for light tablet work, maximum portability as it will be my out-of-state and out-of-country workhorse.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can't really comment on that since I've always tried to just squeeze the most bang for the buck out of my machines. It's also nice for having a backup. I currently gutted my desktop while I wait for my 3080 so I've just basically docked my Alienware. I've heard nice things about the Dell G series. I would have went with the G15 if it came with the Dell proprietary port for their Alienware eGPUs but I guess they needed to do something to justify the price differential.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

not really, serious gaming is mostly irrelevant as i have my desktop. just looking to maximize productivity i suppose. nice screen and proper keyboard, classy enough finish so i can style on these hos, 2-in-1 is a plus for light tablet work, maximum portability as it will be my out-of-state and out-of-country workhorse.
    If you're just looking for something to emulate on and do school work with, let me ask you this: how strong is your phone?

If you have anything recent, you can get a 360 degree hinge lapdock and end up with a 3-in-1 that is likely to be stronger than any $1000 and under ultra book. Something like this or this would be perfect as long as you've got a decent phone to power it.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag