• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 193 of 219 FirstFirst ... 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 ... LastLast
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Gamers Nexus has done some tests. The I7 and I9's seem to be doing better, with the caveat that they consume power like CS consumes alcohol. They really seem to blow AMD out of the water though when it comes to stuff like rendering and compiling.

DDR5 though is fuck all expensive, and hard to find right now. So if you go with a DDR4 motherboard with the new Intel CPU's and want to go DDR5 when things are more normalized in price and availability, you'll need to replace your motherboard as well.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Yep Intel's whole thing for 10th-12th gen is to throw more power at the chip. The amount of tinkering I had to deal with on the i9-10850k was silly. That shit out of the box was thermal throttling me. Still runs too hot for my liking but I can't fit in a 360mm radiator on the case. I'm considering dropping my all-core clocks down another 100mhz in the summer when it gets too hot in the house.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I had to do that with the last Intel based gaming laptop I had, shaving like 200 or 300 Mhz off the top kept it from throttling itself and it ran so much better.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Anyone have experience with RMA through EVGA? How is the process? How quickly is the turnaround? My 3080 died today out of nowhere and i’m using my backup GTX 980 to continue playing ffxiv at half the framerate. Lol

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

It's good. I have had a couple cards die on me or be DoA. You just have to fill out a RMA form on their site. (the card must be registered first) I got emails back within a couple days with shipping instructions. Got cards replaced in about a week.

It might take longer now for obvious reasons. I hope you can get a new one soon.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Yep Intel's whole thing for 10th-12th gen is to throw more power at the chip. The amount of tinkering I had to deal with on the i9-10850k was silly. That shit out of the box was thermal throttling me. Still runs too hot for my liking but I can't fit in a 360mm radiator on the case. I'm considering dropping my all-core clocks down another 100mhz in the summer when it gets too hot in the house.
    So if I go down that route will I have to adjust the CPU? Was debating between a core i5 or Ryzen 7 5800x3D

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

those X3D CPUs are monstrously good so that isn't a bad choice. just keep in mind the AM4 platform is EoL

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I think the i5-12600K isn't as crazy as an energy hog compared to the i7-12700/i9-12900. ymmv because some motherboard manufacturers may go higher on the wattage to show off larger numbers. Not to mention 12th gen Intel has pretty decent out-of-the-box overclocking settings based on YouTube reviews/benchmarking.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Thanks. Hopefully I can get one soon. Not sure if my GPU is dying or not but GW2 seems to having seizures when I try loading it. Had this crap happen today after coming back from a hiatus:

Not sure if there's a more reasonable explanation but when I see stuff like this it's never a good sign.

BG Level

Gamers Nexus did a review of the 12600k. Probably give you a clearer picture of comparisons with AMD.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    I decided to wait and see about personal hands on reviews and long term opinions while simultaneously hoping for at least a spark of hope on a 38". OLED is so fucking nice and it'd be a marked upgrade over any LCD but I just don't think I would've been happy with a 34" after having 38 for so long. My eyes have learned to ignore low light haloing but got I would love some infinite contrast.

Let me know your impressions when you get yours
    After 2 US delays, Dell shipped the first batch of non-business orders finally. Got mine yesterday, and it is by far the best computer upgrade I've experienced since 1080 dropped or HDD>SSD(>>NVME4). The black levels and picture next to my G9 Neo and PG279QM are laughable.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Not sure if this is possible but figured I'd poll the crowd...

I'm considering some sort of horizontal wall-mounted floating arm system for my office. I have 2 (potentially 3) monitors, a small TV, and speakers I'd like to have flexibility to move along the wall and reposition as needed. Everything I've found so far would give me fixed (and flat) attachment points but I'm picturing something that is a set of rails or trays where the arms attach, some with vesa mounts and some as small shelves.

Is there anything out there I'm missing?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    After 2 US delays, Dell shipped the first batch of non-business orders finally. Got mine yesterday, and it is by far the best computer upgrade I've experienced since 1080 dropped or HDD>SSD(>>NVME4). The black levels and picture next to my G9 Neo and PG279QM are laughable.
    yeah mine shipped yesterday so prolly get it tues/wed. gonna vertically mount it with the 38" and switch between them depending on the game. prolly still vastly prefer the 38" for MMOs whereas the OLED will be better for narrative/eye candy games

edit: update

https://gfycat.com/illinformedshoddyafricanaugurbuzzard

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So i received my 3080 through RMA, and i still have the same issues, the second that i ran a game on it, it crashed and would restart my PC. I decided to load the GPU to the second PC i have and it worked flawlessly, i left FFXIV running afk for a good amount of time and it didn't have a single issue, the GPU was cool to the touch and what not. So i thought it was an issue with my PSU (Old PSU is a thermaltake 750W, the current PSU is a Corsair RM850x), so i swapped PSUs from each pc and fired up the old PC again, and crashed hard, got artifacting in windows just trying to download, not even install nvidia drivers and got a BSOD error "VIDEO TDR FAILURE", saw a Jayz2cents video about it and pretty much said it's a driver issue, run DDU etc to completely do a clean install, so i tried that, loaded the old 750W PSU i had into my current PC, ran DDU with the 980, and then installed the 3080 afterwards, and reinstalled the last working nvidia drivers, and it seemed fine, until i ran FFXIV again, and the game crashed and restart my PC, then the 3080 was extremely hot to the touch with barely any load, i even lowered the power limit a little bit before running anything.

So the issue now is starting to seem like it's the mobo, unfortunately ASUS and their warranty is ass, and i don't know how corsair does with their RMA process, but pretty much i may have to buy a new PSU and mobo, or just keep my PC running with my GTX 980 until further notice. I'm practically demotivated at this point because replacing the mobo was the last thing i wanted to do, but i will have to do it. I'm replacing my ASUS TUF X570 mobo, so what would be a good mobo to go with at this point? The mobo i have with my old pc running a ryzen 2700X is an ASUS Prime X470. I'm actually worried that the RMA 3080 i got is now dead and i have to ask EVGA for another RMA which i don't want to bother paying shipping for, however at this point, i'm practically replacing my entire PC because the 3080 decided to shit itself thanks to something else.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    yeah mine shipped yesterday so prolly get it tues/wed. gonna vertically mount it with the 38" and switch between them depending on the game. prolly still vastly prefer the 38" for MMOs whereas the OLED will be better for narrative/eye candy games

edit: update

https://gfycat.com/illinformedshoddyafricanaugurbuzzard
    I feel like the OLED deserves to be front and center! Congrats! Absolute game-changer of a display.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

it is, the 38" is on top

Loving the OLED so far, only complaint is the ABL in HDR1000 mode is overbearing

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

On the other side of desktop setups, Costco is selling Klipsch The Fives for only 500 bucks right now (they released at 1k 2 years ago).

They're kinda unwieldy as desktop speakers but half off their original price is pretty wild.

BG Level

Klipsch is a fantastic brand.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

500 for powered speakers is alright, that is pretty expensive for 4inch drivers though. Saves having to buy an amp which adds value for entry level sound. similar to a mid range soundbar in terms of sound quality so not great but will do the job.

1000 would be a total scam, can buy an amazing pair of speakers and a good amp with room to add surround channels later down the line for less than 1k. idk what they were thinking launching them at such a price

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've looked at them from time to time and couldn't justify the price, but wandering through Costco buying groceries and seeing 500 bucks was an instant buy.

They were really well reviewed when they originally released but 1000 bucks for my desk was way too much when I have a full Sonos setup in my living room for TV/Movies and usually listen to music on headphones.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag