1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 6 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Can Dungeon Leaders Lock the Roll Abilities of Other Players?

Hey all,

Brand new here and thinking of coming back to the game. Wondering, though, after something I read, if dungeon leaders can lock the ability of players to stop them from rolling on items that aren't the their class?

Thanks,

Starkman

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Once a dungeon has begun, no. Before a dungeon begins, you can change the loot rules between standard Need/Greed/Pass, Greed Only, or Lootmaster (loot master decides who gets what)

Duty-finder parties ALWAYS use need/greed/pass. You can only Need on gear you can equip as the job/class you're on right there. Accessories take your Primary Stat into account when determining who may roll Need (only Tanks may Need on VIT accessories, for example.) Everyone can Greed or Pass. Need overrides Greed, so if someone rolls Greed on an item and you roll Need, you will not be competing with that person for that loot. Multiple people may roll Need on the same item if they meet the requirements.

Great. Thanks for the response.

Do you find that the loot masters are usually willing to use Need/Greed/Pass so that it's fair all around?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

edit: i misread bane's comment and he posted what I said, so I removed my first paragraph

In a party finder situation if the loot master does not adhere to the rules he's set, that in theory should be reportable (like in WoW), it'll constitute as harassment - you can also tarnish the individual's name in town should you wish, or in a community forum where witchhunting is allowed.

Loot in this game is so shit however you'll find most won't care if the item they want doesn't drop, so they should be decent enough to let it greed/need.

The stig,
    I was just wondering if, before the dungeon starts, loot masters are usually willing to set the looting so it's fair all around.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

By default, the loot is need/greed/pass (and this is enforced in the duty (dungeon) finder, cannot change), if that helps answer your question? Most people don't set it, because it's sufficient. The ones that do are usually after very specific drops.

The rule only applies to boss drops and coffer drops (gear). Stuff like mob drops are random to a specific player and basic items like potions are also random.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkman View Post
    The stig,
    I was just wondering if, before the dungeon starts, loot masters are usually willing to set the looting so it's fair all around.
    The lootmaster option is only present in pre-formed parties made directly with other players, not ones done by random matching in the DF.

So it's something you'd have to organize and talk about beforehand, there's no "norm" for this because it's just not something people often do.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

The only time I have ever done anything where we had non-need/greed loot rules was Diadem after 210 tome gear became easy to get. We set the loot rules to Greed Only.

I have never used Lootmaster, and I can't think of any reason I would, either. Maybe super-hardcore progression, but at that point you've eliminated the risk of people taking shit they shouldn't just by the nature of what you're doing. Similarly, pre-made groups to get someone specific items for specific people. You're doing content specifically to get that loot for that person, there's no reason to fuck up your group's goal. And honestly even if someone did you just run it again. There is very little in this game that is truly hard: all of the real difficulty comes from the fact that until you over-gear the designated "hard" fights, you need to do them almost perfectly from start to finish. So it's just a practice thing. And if you can clear something once, you can clear it again.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yes, Diadem was the only thing so far that had any reason to use different rules just to make the distro of the junk loot fair, but the system people actually used for it was hybrid (need the job you're on, greed everything else, for fair distribution of junk loot for points) so nothing really got set anyway. How could I ever forget the incessant bickering over people who ignored the rule and lotted need on all the junk gear >_>.

Lootmaster would be useful if there was a single FC in all of XIVdom that ran like linkshells in XI used to: there is a clear leader of a large group and loot needs to be partitioned out based on points, participation, how good a member sucks the leader's dick, whatever. But things just don't work that way here. There isn't content or community to justify the need for it. The extent of who I saw using lootmaster were a few ill-fated pony farm groups wherein the leader insisted on getting the first pony (I never understood why anyone bothered to join those).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Lootmaster would be useful if there was a single FC in all of XIVdom that ran like linkshells in XI used to: there is a clear leader of a large group and loot needs to be partitioned out based on points, participation, how good a member sucks the leader's dick, whatever..
    Or held by the leader for the "bank", then they transfer out of server and take all the loot with them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cryss Cook
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

I'm using lootmaster in my group just to minimize the risk of fuck ups. We have seen all kinds of shit in the past year, our war rolling need on A2s tank boots and then mindlessly leaving the instance before everyone else rolled so they hit the floor, A1s slaying ring hitting the floor because I accidentially rolled greed on the other piece that dropped and passed the ring instead of the other way around (would've been mine bc drg and tanks already had it). And most recently our blm, who NEVER plays healer, getting an A5s healer earring, because our sch had it, our whm passed immediately bc he didn't like the stats (crit piece) and already had the lore ones, and our pld who has second lot on healer stuff already passed because he thought our whm would take them anyway. So I forced everyone left in the instance to just greed on it, so that it won't hit the floor again. ^^

These are examples, we had about two more occasions where stuff like that happened back in coil, too.

Other than that, I can't think of too many situations where going away from the standard loot rules makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCookTM View Post
    our war rolling need on A2s tank boots and then mindlessly leaving the instance before everyone else rolled so they hit the floor
    The exact same situation happened in my static, we used lootmaster ever since...

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

First ever loot drama, and by coincidence this thread was best for it:

On Monday night before reset . . . .

Leader (Blood'filled Muffin) put loot master on
    T9 (bonus run)
    Music drops, leader drops it to himself

(Clyphie Lhea) thats why i was asking why he put it on
    (Clyphie Lhea) loot master =p
    (Seiphra Omega) Yeah, I figured
    (Seiphra Omega) If it's lootmaster, that's usually what happens
    (Blood'filled Muffin) jguys
    (Blood'filled Muffin) you have had
    (Seiphra Omega) I guess I had too much hope ;u;
    (Blood'filled Muffin) literally every item
    (Blood'filled Muffin) The bonus is why your hear
    (Blood'filled Muffin) want the music?
    (Blood'filled Muffin) farm it
    (Blood'filled Muffin) And second
    (Blood'filled Muffin) Im going to use it lol
    (Blood'filled Muffin) Im not making gil
    (Clyphie Lhea) still
    (Blood'filled Muffin) Just collecting
    (Blood'filled Muffin) Sorry
    (Clyphie Lhea) should give everybody a chance to get it but
    (Blood'filled Muffin) black list me lol
    (Clyphie Lhea) up to you i guess
    (Sha'essiin S'raal) Oh place
    (Sha'essiin S'raal) please*

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I mean, if you join a group with lootmaster and you don't know the leader, then you were kinda asking for it.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

True, I did notice he put it on but I wasn't there for loot, so no complaints from me. Just a coincidence there was this thread and then that happened lol

How sad is it that musical tunes for mog house is serious business in this game?
    Not RIDILL which can raise your DPS
    Not RDM RELIC HAT which will make you godly
    But a frigging BGM for your house lol

(granted, there are no items for this game that is considered a must have or everyone wants, but we're not here to complain about the stale state of the game's loot lol, but for context I used FFXI's items...)

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    True, I did notice he put it on but I wasn't there for loot, so no complaints from me. Just a coincidence there was this thread and then that happened lol

How sad is it that musical tunes for mog house is serious business in this game?
    Not RIDILL which can raise your DPS
    Not RDM RELIC HAT which will make you godly
    But a frigging BGM for your house lol

(granted, there are no items for this game that is considered a must have or everyone wants, but we're not here to complain about the stale state of the game's loot lol, but for context I used FFXI's items...)
    Loot becomes obsolete in a few months, ponies, pigeons and music are forever lol

Diadem was good for loot drama at the start when people DF normal. God tier 210 chest drops and someone greeds it to hand in for spoils for mount