+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Motorcycle question/advice

I purchased a 2008 ninja 250 last august. Instantly fell in love with riding. I rode it for roughly 3 months and about 1,000 miles before winter hit. Drove it again about 200 miles this spring before selling it and moving to south Florida. Now im in the market for a new one and wanting to upgrade to a 600, specifically an R6 or CBR600. Today I found a 2002 R2 listed for $2300, 52,000 miles, talked to the guy over text, super nice and helpful and gave me all the info i asked for. Went and looked at the bike today and its in super bad condition. Huge scratches on the bottom right fairing. Owner said a car had cut him off and he veered over and scraped it down a curb. Other than that there are a few holes in the seat nothing major, and other cosmetic body damage and some missing fairing bolts. The seller told me he was a mechanic and that it is mechanically sound (i know taking it with a grain of salt). Bike started up fine and sounds great. No fluid leeks that I could see and didn't appear to be any damage to the frame its self. Seller said hes rejetted the bike for the new exhaust, changed all the fluids, added a coolant reservoir tank, new chain/sprockets, and rewired the tail lights/headlights where the previous owner had fucked them up. The bike is kinda clanky when shifting from neutral into first, and stalled one time (my fault, however i had to turn the bike completely off and wait a second to restart the bike). Bike also needs a new front tire (ride-able but bald), and a rear rotter. Talked him down to $1800 for the bike. I'm not a motorcycle veteran so not sure if this is a good deal, condition has me worried about how well the bike was treated so im looking for some advice. This would be my first 600 so kinda looking for a little bit of a beater (although this is way more than i had in mind) and wouldn't mind having a project to kinda work on learning how to fix up motorcycles (if its worth it). Is it worth it or would you guys avoid it and keep looking for something else?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Look for something else. If the bike looks like shit, it has been treated like shit. The 52k miles on it is also about double what you should be looking for in that price range. For reference, The last two bikes I bought were both for under $2k and both had less than 20k miles. One only had 12k. Also, be very very wary when buying a 600. Most people buy them not knowing how to ride them and fuck shit up with them. That appears to be the case with this bike.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    Look for something else. If the bike looks like shit, it has been treated like shit. The 52k miles on it is also about double what you should be looking for in that price range. For reference, The last two bikes I bought were both for under $2k and both had less than 20k miles. One only had 12k. Also, be very very wary when buying a 600. Most people buy them not knowing how to ride them and fuck shit up with them. That appears to be the case with this bike.
    Figured this was the case. Was just hoping that I was wrong and that it was worth it. Gonna tell the seller nvm.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I can't imagine seeing 52k miles on a bike lmao.

My dad had an incident with a road rager once. Guy got out of his car and knocked my dads gsxr750 on the ground. Just pushed it over, that's all. It's got a lot of custom shit so it has bumpers to protect the plastic, thing didn't even have a scuff on it.

Turns out somehow the frame cracked. Bikes totaled. Still ride it tho.

Don't get a bike with damage lol. Don't listen to what any seller says. Get full reports, etc. Just like a car. You will be taken advantage of.

Also you will be happy with pretty much any 600, r6, 636, cbr w/e. My first bike was a cbr 600, loved it. The 750s are perfect for me now though. No need for a 1k or bigger unless taking to a track.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Normally I wouldent even consider a bike with that much damage but for that price i was hopeful, espically since 04-05 r6's are going for 4-5k :/ oh well i'll save up some more.

Look for something else. 52k is not that bad for a 2002.

Mines 2013 with almost 20k.

But still, look for something else.

Question for other bike owners.

I'm San Diego, Fun Bike Center is where I bought my bike and have most of the service done. Honda cbr250r 2013.

But today I am replacing the chain, sprockets and an oil change and the total labor is around 160. (The portion I'm skeptical about.) The parts and oil are about 150. (Normal, I think.)

I feel like I am being robbed, is this accurate or am I going to the wrong place?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    Question for other bike owners.

I'm San Diego, Fun Bike Center is where I bought my bike and have most of the service done. Honda cbr250r 2013.

But today I am replacing the chain, sprockets and an oil change and the total labor is around 160. (The portion I'm skeptical about.) The parts and oil are about 150. (Normal, I think.)

I feel like I am being robbed, is this accurate or am I going to the wrong place?
    buy the parts and replace them yourself? save the 160. Whats the stated time to complete? Most mechanics charge $50+ an hour with a certain hour minimum. Probably $80/hr mechanic and a two hour minimum. Shop around, too.

I will be honest in that I don't know enough about mechanics and my bike to do much myself. Or alone. When I say I'm fairly alone out here in SD it means I'm pretty out of friend/family/so options that would be necessary for fixes and maintenence.
    Otherwise I'd be more inclined to learn or try.
    I called a couple places. Quoted more at another place, so I'm just gonna suck it up.

I alloted 300 for this and it's only going over a bit. Just need to get over it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    I will be honest in that I don't know enough about mechanics and my bike to do much myself. Or alone. When I say I'm fairly alone out here in SD it means I'm pretty out of friend/family/so options that would be necessary for fixes and maintenence.
    Otherwise I'd be more inclined to learn or try.
    I called a couple places. Quoted more at another place, so I'm just gonna suck it up.

I alloted 300 for this and it's only going over a bit. Just need to get over it.
    Nothing wrong with not wrenching yourself. My point was more: "If you can do it, then you can save money. If you can't do it, you are beholden to the fee". When it comes to wrenching if it is expensive or easy to do, I'll do it myself. PITA work and cheap work, I'll pay someone else to do.

This is true. I've always been more the "pay someone else to do things" type person for many reasons. I just want to make sure I'm getting a decent deal/price/cost.

But yea. Sucking it up. I DID allot the 300 so a little over for a HUGE peace of mind is fine. I needed this to be done and I won't have to worry about it fucking up while riding it for a while unless something random goes wrong. I appreciate the help, too.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Lets talk baikus bros

I feel like I'm driving a fuggin kite on the interstate, is that just the lack of windshield on my bike or does other gear matter too? Its an upright/naked cb500f but I feel like I'm just getting tossed around the whole time from 55+ , helmet feels like its a parachute too. Does a leather jacket deflect more wind than mesh?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    Lets talk baikus bros

I feel like I'm driving a fuggin kite on the interstate, is that just the lack of windshield on my bike or does other gear matter too? Its an upright/naked cb500f but I feel like I'm just getting tossed around the whole time from 55+ , helmet feels like its a parachute too. Does a leather jacket deflect more wind than mesh?
    Fairings, windshield and body position

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

time to get a busa

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Def not ever the answer.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

time to get a busa
    Might as well get the casket as well homie.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Lets talk baikus bros

Windshield definitely helps. Also depends on how tucked you get but it's hard to tuck with no windshield, lol. Gear other than your helmet won't make a big difference but if your helmet has some gaudy mohawk bullshit on it or something it won't help you.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Might as well get the casket as well homie.
    Do they put turbos on caskets too?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Windshield definitely helps. Also depends on how tucked you get but it's hard to tuck with no windshield, lol. Gear other than your helmet won't make a big difference but if your helmet has some gaudy mohawk bullshit on it or something it won't help you.
    My helmet is p standard but I have a ginormous head tbh

Tucking helps the parachute helmet feel but yeah lol the bike has no windshield or anything above the cluster. I think it was just extra windy on Tuesday because today didn't feel too bad up to 70

And I guess the backpack for class doesn't help too much either

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Windshield (one that's proper for your sitting position so it streamlines with your helmet) and fairings. If you haven't, invest in something to hold your bag and other items. It looks a little odd, but I love my massive top case that can fit two full sized helmets and whatever. Also got the side saddle bags if I plan on being out all day. If that's out of your budget, grab a couple of straps and just tie down that bag.