+ Reply to Thread
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Electronics in a car in the summer

Hey all,

Due to certain restrictions at work I have to leave my phone in the car at work this summer (and occasionally my laptop). Anyone have any advice/experience with leaving electronics in the car and keeping them from cooking?

Assume that any cooler style equipment is okay, but not something that requires upkeep - so anything I had to put an icepack in or cool at night wouldn't work. But if I could just buy a styrofoam cooler and drop it in there in the trunk, that would be okay.

It's gonna be like this for 4-6 months, so I need something replicable and easy to maintain. I'm also willing to spend, so if there is a gadget or something someone is aware of, that's okay too.

Thanks ~

Styrofoam, as you suggested would be enough. Putting an icepack would hold over the temp for 12+ hours easy (I remember still having ice in one of my coolers after 24 hours of it sitting in my car). I would only suggest two other things.

1. Turn it off
    2. if possible, shade is your friend.

I don't think you have much to worry about tho.

Edit: I had an ipod in my car for 4+ years. Just sits in the console. Never had an issue. I know a laptop/phone would produce more heat, thus my suggestion of just turning it off.

I put my phone in the storage area between the two front seats. Doesn't get that hot in there.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, phone is fine in the glove box. Just invest in a sun visor and make sure you put it up, will keep the inside of the car significantly cooler.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

interestingly enough I am in a similar situation. I put mine in the console, but forgot to turn it off and got the "too hot" message.