+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

He called it Alita because that's the name of the series outside of Japan, and always has been.

Also at the least the manga really isn't that good. Maybe 30 years ago but the series has aged horribly, and was never that well written. Cool art and shitty writing didn't only infect American comics in the 90s.

BG Level

it was definitely out there sometimes, but still a fave. i had no idea it was still going on.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've read the Manga since the 90s, I loved the original run, even his "rushed " ending. It was a beautiful and interesting series. I did my best ( and was even quite excited) to pick up the new, continuation manga but it rapidly plummeted downhill I feel. Bloated cast, even more confusing and irrelevant plot and tedious progression. Really killed the joy I once found in the series.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I mean, yes, the manga was good. But it has kept going. And going. And going. And now it's pretty much shitting the bed. Like, for example, did you know that:
    Spoiler: show
    Alita was born as a tumor? Literally.

I don't care how good this movie is or how important it is. The choices they made infuriate me, so I won't reward them.

I tried reading the manga but never really got into it and fell off quickly. Even if in the manga her eyes are supposed to be that big, in film it just ends up taking me out of it. Look at Looper. They wanted to make Joseph Gordon-Levitt look like a young Bruce Willis and you spend half the film just distracted by that because it's so surreal.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    I mean, yes, the manga was good. But it has kept going. And going. And going. And now it's pretty much shitting the bed. Like, for example, did you know that:
    Alita was born as a tumor? Literally.

I don't care how good this movie is or how important it is. The choices they made infuriate me, so I won't reward them.
    are you kidding me?! siiiiiiiigh.. I'm glad I quit when I did then. I forced myself to read to the end of Last Order- honestly thinking that would finish the series. When I saw it was just the end of that endlessly long plot arc, I bailed.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Rulke View Post
    are you kidding me?! siiiiiiiigh.. I'm glad I quit when I did then. I forced myself to read to the end of Last Order- honestly thinking that would finish the series. When I saw it was just the end of that endlessly long plot arc, I bailed.
    I'm not. They had an entire arc dedicated to a flashback in a flashback. It's almost as bad as the Gal Cleaning manga that went from a story about a guy helping a cute GAL clean to Chapter 8.97 which is about raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

It's been pushed back to February 14 as if you didn't already know that. I think it was a good decision what with all the movies that came out on the twenty-first. It will get more ticket sales now. All the commercials during bowl games doesn't hurt either.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I feel like this movie has so many damned trailers that we've probably seen the majority of the fight scenes.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Watched this last night.

Putting my review in spoilers:

Unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I would have hoped to.

Pros:
    - Fantastic visuals
    - Great action scenes
    - Alita's facial animations were amazing
    - Great world building

Cons:
    - Generic, bland, boring story
    - Too many characters leading to bad character development. Could have done without many of these characters to enhance Alita's backstory more.
    - Very corny at times/bad acting from most characters.

BG Level

It's jumping between rotten and fresh on RT. Audience score is pretty high at 93%. Going to see it tomorrow night.

I stick my dick in Crayfish
    BG Level

Really enjoyed it. But I went in expecting some cheesiness with some amazing visuals and got exactly what I was expecting. Went in high, and watched it in iMax 3D, and it was a lot of fun.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Watched it in IMAX, well worth the price for the action and eye candy alone. Story is decent with some obvious plotholes.

Bonus seeing Francis still not having any feeling in his nerves.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just got back from it. Was pretty good.
    While I havn't seen it in 20 years, my impression is it's better than the original anime adaptation.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Just saw it, was good

coulda done without the bland love interest in the doucher

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

As others have said the story was pretty eh at points. Not terrible but not great. Would've been nice exploring some parts they touched on more. But still probably better storytelling than any other big screen anime adaption we've ever gotten and great visuals. Even 3D visuals were quite pleasing... I'd probably rate them as worth the extra $2-3 but not must see in 3D

BG Level

Well I decided not to go see it this weekend. I'm going to go on AMC's cheap movie day next week. The weather was really bad here yesterday but there's a better reason.. I don't remember a lot of the original manga. I read it when I was in high school. (jeez that makes me feel old) I wanted to skim over the volumes and read the parts that I don't remember so I don't get confused. I can remember really liking it when I was younger so much so that I was entranced by it. So I have been re-reading certain chapters. The manga is a masterpiece. I know now why I was so into it. I can't see how the movie is going to live up to my expectations.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Astylla and I went and saw it last night. Story was kind of all over the place and really felt like they could have touched a lot more on her backstory, especially the fall and why it came about. So hopefully if a sequel gets made, they will do some more work on the back story. As far as visuals go though, the movie was great and one of the better uses of 3D since probably Doctor Strange, though not nearly on that movie's level of 3D.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Saw it Sunday. I had absolutely no idea that it was an anime adaption. All I saw was a chick beating the shit out of people, and I had to go see that. Great movie. Can't wait for the sequel in 2050 because that's how Cameron rolls now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast