+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you're gonna watch DareDevil s2, you really should watch S1 as well. It has nothing to do with Punisher, but sets up all the other characters you would be seeing.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    So I haven't watched any of the Netflix series or agents of shield. Is there a certain series I should watch be for another, or do none of them tie in to each other?
    tb frank the Punisher is the most stand aloney thing Marvel has ever done, if it's all you're interested in you can watch it solo from season 1 fine. but as the others have said if you want the whole shebang Daredevil season 2 is where the man originates. can't really recommend the season but the Punisher aspect of it is solid.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

The Punisher (Netflix) - Season 2 January 18, 2019

First episode in and holy shit! I fucking love me some Frank motherfucking Castle lmao.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Only one in as well and loving it. They looped him back in well, I was a little worried it'd be a little forced.

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I binged the whole thing. Enjoyed it, but...

Spoiler: show
    All of the pieces-- the acting, the action, the pacing-- were excellent, but it somehow didn't come to a great whole for me. I kept waiting for Pilgrim and Jigsaw's stories to connect, and they never really did. Alos, Jigsaw's face is no where *NEAR* messed up enough for the kind of trauma they're acting like he's going through. The only other thing that just made me laugh was paranoid, semi-crippled psychologist holding her own in an all-out brawl with a super-cop. It felt a lot more like two half-series, though, than one full one.

BG Level

The Punisher (Netflix) - Season 2 January 18, 2019

Just finished it myself. Enjoyed it tons, but felt it was weaker than S1.

I really wish they had focused more of the story on Pilgrim rather than Jigsaw/Harley Quinn. He was a way more interesting character and commanded the screen whenever he was present. Amazing casting choice with that one.

Also was starting to get really annoyed with Mahony’s character. They portrayed him as extremely narrow-minded and one dimensional versus his other show appearances. Russo escapes under your custody, continuously evades your cops, makes your cops look like fools, kills/injures a bunch of your cops, but Castle is your number one priority? Come on son.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Finally finished it.

When there was action, it was fairly top notch. I felt it was a little weaker than his showing in DD S2 and Punisher S1 though. He just rarely commanded the level of badass as he did in those. That's not to say it was bad, it just felt maybe a little generic, and at times, reserved. Curt and Amy may have had a part in that since they were always nagging him.

My biggest complaint is there was just too many story threads to have an enjoyable, gripping experience. When Pilgrim was given some solid screen time in the final 2-3 episodes, I finally was won over to enjoying him. Prior to that though, I really didn't like his character. He was one dimensional and didn't really help drive the overall story forward. Until those final episodes, I was really wishing he would of died in episode 3 during the police department fight and Amy got offloaded so that the plot could focus more on Frank and Billy.

Instead, we had a story between Frank and Curt, Frank and Madani, Frank and Amy, Frank and Russo, Madani and Russo, Russo and Krista, Madani and Krista, and the random jumps to Pilgrim and the rich parents. There were just too many threads it felt like, and while Amy and Pilgrim were cool by the end, between episode 4 and 9~ it was just a massive slog and I didn't enjoy it. Having characters not really develop and move on like Mahony as mentioned above, or Curt's constant "I want to end this - I don't want to do this" shuffle, it felt like there was a lot of wasted time where no progress was really made.

I really dug Russo up until maybe episode 8 or so, where he was confused and didn't know anything, why he was hated, what to do, etc. Once he more or less reverted to himself, I dunno. I felt like the move discarded something that was key to his character in S2. I really liked when he broke down after the robbery because Frank aimed a gun at him. Frank having enough of his bullshit in the final few scenes was a mixture of sadness and satisfaction.

tl;dr - I wish they had given us more Punisher and less offbeat story threads that interrupted the action and flow.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I made it to episode 6. I just don't even care enough to finish it. I've slogged through enough Marvel Netflix stuff at this point to just call it quits. As the whole Netflix MCU is effectively canceled, it doesn't matter. If I have to watch Frank being in that safe house for another episode it will drive me crazy. I loved the shit out of DD S2 (for the Punisher, not Elektra) and Season 1 of Punisher was decent enough. But I just don't even see much of a point in finishing this show especially when it's 99% sure to get cancelled. *shrug*

Worse yet the characters can't even be used for two years after cancel so either they never see the light of day again or they're rebooted.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Should a Season 3 Happen, Showrunner Steve Lightfoot is Set to Bring Daredevil & The Kingpin over, Marvel TV has Already Approved
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/01/...eve-lightfoot/

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Playing with my heart. God damn it.

Does Marvel TV have any sway at all here, or are they playing second fiddle to Marvel proper?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Does Marvel TV have any sway at all here, or are they playing second fiddle to Marvel proper?
    Second fiddle to Netflix. Marvel Studios has little input on the non-Disney+ shows.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    Was finally gonna give these spin offs a shot, but nope not anymore. Peace out Netflix Marvel, hardly knew ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Marvel posted on Facebook about the TV series cancellations and basically said they aren't done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Was finally gonna give these spin offs a shot, but nope not anymore. Peace out Netflix Marvel, hardly knew ya.

Some seasons are definitely worth checking out. Even with the cancellations.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Even if it was cancelled forever why would that stop you from watching it? I didn't watch Breaking Bad till after it was done and if anything that made it better lol.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurell View Post
    Even if it was cancelled forever why would that stop you from watching it? I didn't watch Breaking Bad till after it was done and if anything that made it better lol.
    Because breaking bad had a conclusion. Netflix series usually dont if they're cancelled abruptly.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Each season gets wrapped up pretty nicely with a minor teaser or easter egg for next season/future seasons, so it’s not really that bad.

BG Level

Yeah each season is pretty self containing to it's own story. I don't know bro. You're doing yourself a disservice.

The Punisher even more so than the others as far as it's own story, it's pretty much wrapped up. Daredevil had some of the best choreography found in any kind of television medium. Jessica Jones S1 arguably had the best villain in the entire MCU. Iron Fist and Luke Cage though were huge disappointments though I wouldn't recommend those. Maybe Luke Cage S2, but I personally haven't finished it yet either lol.