BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

XI music influences (original vs remixed from previous games)

So was chatting with Rata and he mentioned listening to XI music lately, I brought up that some of XI's music wasn't original but remade from previous Final Fantasy games, most noteably in my mind was the Aht Urhgan town music because of how much I liked its original rendition in FF5.

He said he wasn't aware of this and I linked him both youtube vids and he said he still didn't hear it, so I looked up and couldn't find anything on any forum mentioning this, so I got curious to see if people would agree or maybe not.

Anyway, here's the vids

XI version skip to 20 seconds in where the main melody starts.

So, on a scale of pffft to 'of course they're the same', your thoughts?

And, any other tracks (chocobo theme is a no-brainer) in XI you know of or think are from previous games?

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I could agree some parts could have the same 'vibrants' But can't say much about remix

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i dont see the resemblance between bustle of the capital and the FFV theme. they sound totally different to me. if at all it is really really really far far stretch

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

So I sat here for a bit listening to both, and I see what you mean, but they're too far a stretch to be considered an arrangement of the other.
    The similarities are very, very minor.

In my unprofessional opinion, anyway.

Yeah, I'm not really picking up any similar note pattern to indicate a remix. Best you might manage is primary instrumental choice, but only so much in that V's is more primitive electronic representation because the SNES chipset wasn't as robust. Honestly, even the XI track annoyed me hearing it in frequency because it didn't sound like a real instrument, either. Sort of the audio equivalent of uncanny valley.

In the end, XI didn't really draw a lot of inspiration from prior entries in the music department. Obviously, we had stuff like moogles, chocobos, crystals, and jobs, but for the most part the series has remained self-contained. Vanilla and Zilart shared some themes musically, but after that each expansion was more of its own individual entity.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Mildly similar at best, but definitely not the same melodies. FFV tune is in 3/4 time and FFXI one is in 4/4. etc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I mean, both melodies start with a jump of a fifth, which puts them in the company of literally millions of other songs, but otherwise I don't see any similarity.

Memoro de la Stono is a Tchaikovsky joint, though!