+ Reply to Thread
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

AJIN: Demi Human (Netflix)

(I didn't see this show as a thread, if this already exists, please delete).

The first season of this Anime series just came out on Netflix, and it looks pretty awesome. Watching the first episode now. Note: the audio is in multiple languages.

17 years ago, immortals first appeared on the battlefields of Africa. Later, rare, unknown new immortal lifeforms began appearing among humans, and they became known as "Ajin" (demi-humans). Just before summer vacation, a Japanese high school student is instantly killed in a traffic accident on his way home from school. However, he is revived, and a price is placed on his head. Thus begins a boy's life on the run from all of humankind.
    Here is the English Dubbed trailer if you want to check it out.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

It's decent. It kept my interest through the season, but it wasn't amazing to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It kind of goes in cycles. Like large parts are kind of slow and okish and then shit starts actually happening and it get's great. Like basically anytime Sato is doing anything is going to be great.

Spoiler: show
    One of the bigger problems I had was the whole plotline of almost everyone hates mutan... er Ajin and doesn't even consider the people they lived with for all their lives as even people to the point where any semblance of ethically treatment goes out the window. The sheer number of people being completely ok with murder and torture but only if a person is Ajin overcomes my ability to suspend disbelief... and feels like an overused lazy way to push the plot in certain ways/introduce conflict

I'd chalk that up more to propaganda and fear, but it's not like Sato represents the Ajin positively, either.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'd chalk that up more to propaganda and fear, but it's not like Sato represents the Ajin positively, either.
    Pretty much. It was an overall problem in the manga. It was decent to see it animated at least.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

While I do understand that angle I'd still expect a few less people to buy the line. Haven't read the manga but anime makes it kind of seem like Sato was more like that because of they were treated

Obviously murdering someone over again for whatever purpose is pretty morally reprehensible, but at the same time, I'm not sure if Sato actually went through that himself. His backstory was lacking from what the anime depicted so far, but it seems somewhat obvious he has some military training based on the asswhup and improvisation he pulled during the lab incident and later.

Tangentially, this is kinda like Americans hating on Muslims because some did some bad shit. Only, instead of an obvious distinction in race, culture, or religion, you have people who simply can't seem to die and don't know that until they experience a death. Were this reality, some people might declare such things to be devilry while others might embrace it as some kind of miracle or sign from god(s) above. Why the ajin are like that is also relatively unknown, which could lead to the possibility of being some random mutation, virus, or a deliberate act perpetuated by an unknown group. Since this IS set in Japan and they have a history of being isolationist assholes all about conformity, it's more or less one giant allegory to different being bad, thus it should be snuffed.

Perhaps it's a roundabout way of the author saying people suck, but I'm not sure it's too far removed from how people would actually act.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I wasn't a fan of the cgi initially, but I was able to watch it in 60fps and all the action scenes were great.

I didn't wait weekly for an ep; but marathoned this show about a week ago, actually, so without any long pauses between action, I enjoyed it a lot

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I turned it on for about a minute, saw cgi, and turned it off. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Yea I almost did the same thing. If my friend who recommended it, literally didn't sit there with me and make me watch the first two episodes, I'd have said "Alright fuck this"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Perhaps it's a roundabout way of the author saying people suck, but I'm not sure it's too far removed from how people would actually act.
    This is more or less what I took away and history has shown us lots of people will turn like this so that would be totally plausible. But the extreme they take it to just bugged me. I would expect a broader set of views and a lot more active/passive resistance to these things or at least questioning of them. But when someone does question it everyone just looks like he's insane. It's like hey what if we lived in a world so messed up that when Hitler rose to power every country and almost the entire populace completely supported him and believed in the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the cgi initially, but I was able to watch it in 60fps and all the action scenes were great.

I didn't wait weekly for an ep; but marathoned this show about a week ago, actually, so without any long pauses between action, I enjoyed it a lot
    Ok I'm curious how do you watch it in 60fps?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I don't stream. I download all my anime. The site I downloaded it from had the regular upload, and they also had a 60fps download (nyaa)

I can understand why some might be turned off by the CG, but overall, any issues with it are more a matter of characters seeming stiff than the general quality of what's presented. It's basically the same problem Sidonia had and earlier stuff like that one Naruto movie. I'm not sure if it's something the medium will ever overcome, but it's gotta start somewhere.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    I don't stream. I download all my anime. The site I downloaded it from had the regular upload, and they also had a 60fps download (nyaa)
    Ah thought there just was a way to convert or watch like that. Yeah Nyaa has every kind of version you can think of. Do you remember the particular group it was from?

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

[Draguila]

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Nice

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I enjoyed both seasons.

Hope we get a season 3.
    Satou is a boss, would love a HBO adaptation.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Satou is a boss, would love a HBO adaptation.
    If there is anything I learned from anime don't fuck with old guys.

I just love how he gives no fucks either after/during being such a bad ass. Oh just fucked up an elite fighting force? Smile at the cops as you walk by like it was nothing