+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Studio Apartments     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You probably already know this cause you are a smart cookie but don't sign any kind of lease until you view the unit in person. Try not to fall in love with one place in particular in the event you get there and it turns out to be the apartment version of Tinder where they look nothing like the picture but damn it it's the end of the night and you gotta get your dick wet so LETS DO THIS etc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    You probably already know this cause you are a smart cookie but don't sign any kind of lease until you view the unit in person. Try not to fall in love with one place in particular in the event you get there and it turns out to be the apartment version of Tinder where they look nothing like the picture but damn it it's the end of the night and you gotta get your dick wet so LETS DO THIS etc.
    I actually don't have a good solution for how to handle this except see if people can check it out for me. I'm 2000 miles away and will be moving back with only about a week until my start date, at which point I need to be settled and ready to go.

Any thoughts?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You might be able to get a friend to view it for you and FaceTime the whole thing with you. Not ideal but better than sight unseen.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Coffee table, queen, and couch doesn't sound like a whole lot. I should probably take some measurements. I re-checked and the "safe actual apartment complex" option is like 418 sq ft or something. So small.
    Really depends on your tolerance for clutter; I'm not a big fan of cramming a place to its gills. This is a pretty good layout someone did for a 450 SF place (not sure where the kitchen is):

http://offcite.org/houston-wins-tiny/

Could maybe swing a small dining set in there? But I also had a fairly big TV / vidya setup with large tower speakers which this guy doesn't at all.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I did a 550 in FL and didn't mind it. Just gotta make the best use out of the entire space. Next door the apt was similar but it was a couple. Their place didn't seem cluttered at all and I think it was mainly due to the type of storage they bought.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I did a 550 in FL and didn't mind it. Just gotta make the best use out of the entire space. Next door the apt was similar but it was a couple. Their place didn't seem cluttered at all and I think it was mainly due to the type of storage they bought.
    I think 550 I'd have no problem with, really. It doesn't seem like much on paper, the difference between ~400 and 550, but we're talking a 138% increase in space from one to the other. I guess it just depends on how utilitarian the actual layout is.

Anyway this has all been really helpful and I'm starting to look at what definitely doesn't need to come, what does need to come, what I want to come, etc. Like I have a 8x5 whiteboard that was hanging in living room in last apartment that I just never mounted here and haven't used for 2 years, but the thought of NOT having it makes me unhappy so lol. Step dad seems A-OK with helping me make a storage unit happen so that is good. I'm gonna keep flipping through links you guys have posted and others that I have dug up to see if I can snaz up a studio - though cards on the table - I haven't even hung curtains in the past 4 apartments I've lived in. I tend to unpack and then sorta reach a plateau point where nothing more is getting done and fuck it.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I haven't even hung curtains in the past 4 apartments I've lived in. I tend to unpack and then sorta reach a plateau point where nothing more is getting done and fuck it.
    this is perfect studio apartment mentality. you'll basically unpack/use what you need and realize that you don't need a ton of space.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Furniture separating the space works well for me. I'm going to move away from where I am in the UK to somewhere cheaper so I can have more space again. If this is temporary then storage is good. Otherwise be ruthless. Make good use of height. In my tiny home everything is tall and it helps a ton. You end up being tidier because otherwise you can't function.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So the total relocation costs are going to be enormous (looking close to $10,000 before being set and ready to go) so ability to purchase furniture that is more suited to my small-living lifestyle is going to be greatly impeded. As will be transporting thrift store or other furniture in a 2-seater car and living on floor 5. I have a few thoughts in mind from ikea (bookshelves, fabric dividers, possibly downgrading from queen mattress to full and getting a more functional frame), but I was curious if anyone here had some good ideas.

That's the floor plan of the studio I'm in process of getting into. 409 square feet. Have tall/narrow bookcase with small cupboard at bottom, coffee table, ~7.5ish ft long couch and shorter love seat (they are a set), end table, bureau that I don't like which is a set with nightstand that I don't like, queen tempurpedic with box spring and basic metal frame, small fake wood kitchen table + chairs, desktop computer, 40" TV and sundry other shit but that's it for major stuff I'm considering bringing.

Open to all suggestions to how to arrange this stuff, what to not bring (already getting rid of old desk that wont survive another move even though I love it, 2 older TVs (8yr+), and other crap.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

fam how can it cost 10 racks to move

also do you have the measurements for those walls

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Studio Apartments

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    fam how can it cost 10 racks to move

also do you have the measurements for those walls
    It's about $2k-$2.5k for the move, $2.5k to buy out the rest of my current lease but I get back some based on how soon before Aug19 they lease it (but still an upfront cost), and first/last/secdeposit on a $2k studio.

I dont have measurements for walls I roughed them at 6' for fridge to wall (left), 12' for back wall (with windows), and 9' for back wall to W/D door (right).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ditch the coffee table, it will be in your way and you'll be cursing it constantly. Would also recommend downsizing to a full mattress, unless you don't mind using the bed as a makeshift lounge.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

the location of your washer and dryer really blows. I agree you need to ditch the table. If i were you I put dresser to the left of the entrance. Desk next to the fridge. Mount the TV above your PC. Bed along the long wall and end table next to it

The Anti Miz

BG Level

if you dont care about floor space go end table between wall and bed.

roomstyler.com if you want to fuck around

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

the location of your washer and dryer really blows. I agree you need to ditch the table. If i were you I put dresser to the left of the entrance. Desk next to the fridge. Mount the TV above your PC. Bed along the long wall and end table next to it
    TV is older and not mountable. Hesitant to ditch coffee table (even if you are right) because when we got it 2yrs ago the GF was like "we dont need that why are we getting that" and I was all like "shhh just trust me" and I don't wanna admit I was wrong. Couch / couch+loveseat where?

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Moving expenses are tax deductible. Save those receipts.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

TV is older and not mountable. Hesitant to ditch coffee table (even if you are right) because when we got it 2yrs ago the GF was like "we dont need that why are we getting that" and I was all like "shhh just trust me" and I don't wanna admit I was wrong. Couch / couch+loveseat where?
    the couch has to go into storage. you can prob fit a loveseat and coffee table still. That picture I used I am sure the dimensions are all fucked, just a rough idea

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

if you dont care about floor space go end table between wall and bed.

roomstyler.com if you want to fuck around
    Oh sweet thanks

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    Moving expenses are tax deductible. Save those receipts.
    This. Also, once you know exact costs and have an invoice in writing from everything involved, you can present it to your future employers and get the cost added into your first month's salary. This is on the assumption that your employers REALLY want you and are not total assholes. Your first paycheck will probably include a field that says "OTHER: $XXXXX.XX" so that they don't appear shady to the feds.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If I forgo the hassle of getting a W/D (I've already gotten and sold two sets over 12 years from multiple moves) and resign myself to doing laundry at a place or bringing it to my stepdad's (20 min drive) like 1-2x/week, how bad are those W/D closets usually in newer apartment complexes? If I take the door off can it be of at least some use? Thinking take door off, put head-end of bed near it and maybe try to shove bureau in it or throw some storage racks in there?

Also this is kind of what I'm thinking (no loveseat / desktop picture just kinda tryna get a basic feel). idk why it's brown everywhere but it is.

Turn TV towards sofa or bed depending on what's up. Thin wall around bed would be curtains on runners or something.