Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Display Driver crash.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Just to add some extra data, I have i5 GTX 760 win7 home premium 64bit with the latest nvidia drivers, no OCing, and the only time my display drivers crash on any game was when my CPU was overheating. XI runs perfectly with all effects cranked up to high. I doubt resolution has anything to do with it but I like my outdated 1680x1050 res

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Just to add some extra data, I have i5 GTX 760 win7 home premium 64bit with the latest nvidia drivers, no OCing, and the only time my display drivers crash on any game was when my CPU was overheating. XI runs perfectly with all effects cranked up to high. I doubt resolution has anything to do with it but I like my outdated 1680x1050 res
    Disgusting resolution. >:c
    I also have a 760, no issues here.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by DaFang View Post
    I have the same issue on 2 of my computers. 1 is i7 4790k 32gb GTX780 Windows 10 Pro and the other is AMD 8350 32GB GTX560 Windows 7 Enterprise. Neither graphics cards are overclocked and neither have any problems with other games (COD, Street Fighter V, FFXIV, CS etc.). I run 1920x1080 on both and basically turn all the fluff off. No shadows, footsteps, weather etc. Graphics stabilization On.

Every update to Nvidia drivers has made the problem worse. The latest drivers caused constant crashes on both (like every 5 minutes) and often at the exact same time. IE both characters would just be standing somewhere together doing nothing and suddenly crash. I uninstalled pretty much everything on the windows 7 machine just to rule things out. It has nothing on it now but FFXI, Windower and Chrome.

So I rolled back to driver version 362.00. That driver seems far more stable. I've had 0 crashes on the windows 7 machine and only occasional crashes on the windows 10 machine. I'm thinking of rolling back even further on the windows 10 machine just to see if it gets more stable, but it's tolerable at the moment.

Best advice I can give is start at 362.00 and keep going back if everything else doesn't work.
    I have found 362.00 to be more stable than the recent one but still happen quite often, The funny thing is it is only happening in Legion(362.00 made this a lot better), Sea serpent grotto and Fei Yin, My wife uses my old PC which has GTX570, i7-2600K and she has never updated her driver as she only uses it for FFXI. The Driver she has currently is 344.48 and she never crashes so I am thinking of getting that driver and trying it out.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just to add a "me too" here. I have had all sorts of problems since (around) December 2015. I have an Alienware M17xR3 laptop (specs here, not overclocked or anything) which I only use to play FFXI (and has Chrome on it but... yeah, not really much more installed). It was running Windows 7 fine for few years, then upgraded to the usual 8 -> 8.1 -> 10. I think I did the upgrade to 10 around October/November last year.

I have been applying all of Windows updates and NVidia driver updates as they become available (maybe this has been the error). Anyway, at around December 2015, FFXI started to run horribly slow, each time worse. At around January, I used to have 3-5 FPS when doing LS events; sometimes on zones when I was by myself I could get 20+, and very seldom go up to 29. I kinda forced myself to play less and less and lately I only logged in just for campaigns. I tried all sorts of things, monitored CPU adn GPU temperature as well and found they were hotter than usual. I decided to re-paste both GPU and CPU few weeks ago and after that the laptop fans seem to be working way less than before, so definitely there was some overheating + dust going on. On the first days after the repasting I saw some 29 FPS going now and then, and now events are more bearable but I am far from having an optimal experience that I had before December 2015. I turned shadows, weather and effects off without much luck.

In the last weeks it has worsen a bit: now I am experiencing these random crashes. I forgot to mention on the last months, whenever FFXI crashed I had a video driver crash message + sometimes a BSOD. Lately, after the repaste, I stopped having any driver crashed, but FFXI seems to crash randomly now and then. What I observed on the last days is that sometimes I don't crash alone and 2 or 3 of the LS members crash at the same time of me.

Today we were doing the new Ambuscade and whenever we went to Caedarva to re-get demon kills, I crashed always. I was directed to this thread by an LS mate and after unloading Guildwork I didn't seem to crash anymore (but only did 3 more runs). FPS are still sub-optimal, btw, around 15 FPS just standing in Mhaura but it can be the fact there are many people around.

Anyway, it is just a kind of "me too", "dunno what's happening" thread. It could very well be the laptop (but it isn't *that* old, only 4 years old) but I believe something changed since around December and I just can't play optimally again, like I used to do in the past.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also getting display driver crashes. POL quits due to it, so it seems like its a windows thing causing the POL crash. Its rare that I do not crash when afk and idle, although it happens a lot more inside of Ambuscade (Legion)

Here are five weeks worth of reports from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor (Windows 10)

The Windows error is ALWAYS similar to this:

Spoiler: show
    Description
    A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Code: 141
    Parameter 1: ffffe001830fa4c0
    Parameter 2: fffff800c940014c
    Parameter 3: 0
    Parameter 4: 31c
    OS version: 10_0_10586
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1
    OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Week 1
    Week 2
    Week 3
    Week 4
    Week 5

Crashes started after I upgraded to a 4k monitor. I figure it was because I was not running the native resolution, so I tried going to 4k. It has helped reduce the crashes by half or better, but I still get the them. Samsung U28D590

PS: Some POL crashes are from when I /shuttdown the game, it always errors.

Now that the game's PC only, it might be best if we can get some kind of concentrated movement for SE to invest in upgrading graphic driver compatibility. Because what happened to the PS2 devkits is going to eventually happen to us, as in older compatible PCs aging/dying, alongside tech just plain improving/evolving.

...yeah, I'll go laugh at myself now.

There is a FFXI bug that causes effects to show up sometimes despite being disabled in Config > Effects. Sometimes this comes with an access violation, TDR timeout, or recoverable short freeze.

Does anyone experience the random FFXI crashes but also has all effects enabled in config > effects?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by kittycatrag View Post
    There is a FFXI bug that causes effects to show up sometimes despite being disabled in Config > Effects. Sometimes this comes with an access violation, TDR timeout, or recoverable short freeze.

Does anyone experience the random FFXI crashes but also has all effects enabled in config > effects?
    I did at first then I turned them off when people recommended it, I was still crashing in both scenarios. I am also using the same driver that my wife has which is 344.48 and still crash.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Blame it on windows10.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm on Windows 7.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    I have found 362.00 to be more stable than the recent one but still happen quite often, The funny thing is it is only happening in Legion(362.00 made this a lot better), Sea serpent grotto and Fei Yin, My wife uses my old PC which has GTX570, i7-2600K and she has never updated her driver as she only uses it for FFXI. The Driver she has currently is 344.48 and she never crashes so I am thinking of getting that driver and trying it out.
    You guys should swap video cards and revert back to either the drivers you used or simply updated drivers in general and see what results you get. Process of elimination sucks when I had that kernel driver crash.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My card is waaay to big for her PC, it will not fit.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Found this thread at ffxiah.com which looks very similar to my issues. At the second page, they point out to use of something called "dgVodoo" at https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...tx980m/d366qqn

Will give it a try...

Running in compatibility mode could possibly resolve this as wlel

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Same card, trying to camp Sea Hog and keep crashing too.

Swear it never happened before I upgraded to Win10. Went back to Win7, safe mode removed old drivers and it still happens. Tried 362.00 among half a dozen others and still no dice.

Lemme know if you had any success or had to change gpu's, would hate to shelf this one for my old 570 but ehhh.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Seriously, theres nothing you can do about it.
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/12...rd...-FATALITY

It has to do with newer videocards being too strong to run FFXI without crashing. Newer cards these days are DX11 and FFXI runs on DX8. Sure, DX11 is backwards compatible with DX8, but you have to understand SE's penchant for spaghetti coding shit.

Lets put it this way, using google translate:
    English: I'm translating a sentence from Google, here's what happens
    to Spanish: Estoy traduciendo una frase de Google, esto es lo que sucede
    back to English: I am translating a phrase from Google, this is what happens

It changed a little, but the compatibility can probably handle it. Now do that from English to Spanish to French to Slovenian to Japanese to Finnish to English, and you wind up with:
    Google Translation penalty, what is happening here

That is nowhere close to what we started with. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the same thing is happening here. Instead of making DX11 backwards compatable with DX10 and DX9 and DX8 etc, they'll just make DX11 backwards compatible with DX10, which is backwards compatible with DX9, which is backwards compatible with DX8. Theoretically, there shouldnt be any problems changing DX8 code to DX9 to DX10 to DX11, but thats just it: theoretically, and now you add in SE's spaghetti code, and you have a recipe for disaster.

You have to remember that this is a 13+ year old game, that was ported over from the PS2 version, that has received minimal work on its core code in these 13+ years.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've always had issues with FFXI and nVidia. A friend of mine who loves nVidia also always had problems. I don't even bother trying nVidia anymore. I've never had issues with any ATI card and ffxi

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Sort of. The daisychain isn't quite that long. Every release after DX9 is standalone, a.k.a. DX9 is backwards compatible (or can invoke DX8(.1) runtimes) but DX10, 11, and 12 do not have this feature and only work by themselves. Generally you can install older versions of directX onto Windows 7/8/10 (in the case of 8 and 10, only back to 9 can be installed comfortably) so it normally isn't a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if SE didn't properly implement DX9 backwards compatibility though.

Generally speaking though, the problem comes more from driver incompatibilities than anything else. Unless you get a specific error message (pointing to Dxgkrnl.sys, can run something like bluescreen viewer or event viewer to find that), 90% of TDRs are caused by driver conflicts which cause windows to effectively shut down and then restart the graphics driver without restarting the entire PC. This has many different triggers: power problems, the GPU is too loaded down to respond to the OS in time, software incompatibilities, etc.; XI is likely not made to run with modern driver branches (and in fact, the official SE recommended set of drivers is from many years ago) and it's causing conflicts. Only SE or nvidia/AMD could fix this, all you can do is try to reduce the impact by turning off shadows and weather and enabling graphics stabilization in ffxiconfig.

It's disappointing but yeah. XI is so old (and even when it was released, badly ported) that this sort of thing is bound to happen.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

For what it's worth, the problems seem to be nonexistant in every AMD card I've tried as well as the GTX 1080. Plenty of reports on FFXIAH to suggest that the 1070 is fine as well, so Nvidia's newest architecture are likely all ok.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

XFX AMD RX480 8GB gave me enough trouble that I RMA'd it once and then had to return it for a refund. While stable single-boxing, it wouldn't handle dualboxing for any amount of time.

I updated pretty much every driver, tried 5 different versions of AMD drivers, etc. I had to just blame the entire driver line in the end.