+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Display Driver crash.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Display Driver crash.

Ok I have been having this problem for some time now and it is getting worse.

What happens is whenever I am in a underground or cave zone like Legion, Fei-yin, Sea sepent grotto my display driver would randomly crash. Right now I have the Nvidia 362.00 driver and using a Asus Strix GTX 980 graphic I also use windower. Has anyone had this problem before or know what is causing this issue?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is it your display driver actually crashing or are you just crashing with the "POL Viewer has stopped working,"/screen randomly freezes. If it's the latter, try unloading guildwork plugin, that seemed to work for me.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's the Display driver actually crashing.

A gigantic waste of space
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Maurauc Baelfyr
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So I was having this for a while, and haven't had it since I disabled Guildwork. Can you confirm if Guildwork is running on your Windower?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Guildwork is not running on my windower.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Is this strictly occurring with XI, and only in these zones? And if so, is it during any specific event within these zones?

And how long has this been happening (besides "some time now")?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

This happens when your computer overheats.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Qft, I just had to get a new heatsink bc the stock one on my cpu was coming loose from the chip, so anytime I did anything more intensive in xi my drivers would crash from the pc overheating. Definitely check your temps.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it's not a lot it can just be something that happens. I've basically been having this problem on multiple computers whenever I'd get new drivers but could usually downgrade my drivers a bit back in the day to keep it working better. But that stopped being an option with newer comps and OS. Always figured it was something messed up with trying to run outdated stuff with more modern stuff.

For me it has always seemed to be more likely with more stuff going on but it's not all weighted the same. Like ffxi is the biggest culprit to the point it doesn't ever happen without at least 1 running but even then with just 1 it's still extremely rare even with tons of other stuff running. More instances increase the odds a lot more than anything else but depending on comp not too bad. Facebook also seems worse than most other things. Meanwhile watching movies on a video player seems to have hardly any effect. As Byrth said overheating is part of it as it is way more likely on comps that are running hot. But it still happens albeit rarely with my newest comp even though the temps stay low

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This can happen at any time depending on what the user is doing. I've crashed drivers running 44c with xi and 50c in xiv.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It is only XI doing this as I have played Rise of the Tombraider and Skyrim(Modded) for hours and never had the display driver crash. Earlier today I had my alt on only in sea serpent grotto just running and bam crashed, I restarted my PC and the second I logged her in it crashed immediately. This has been going on for a few months but it would happen extremely rarely but over the past month or 2 it happens a lot to the point where I can't do Ambuscade with groups anymore.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Funny thing though I dual boxed Ambuscade all day yesterday and nothing.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

this happens to me with my graphics cards overclock, I reduced my card to stock numbers (not factory overclock) and the problem does not occur at all now in any game

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I had this problem after months of a new graphics card at the time (GTX 780). I kept getting random crashes, but it wasn't POL or anything windows would pop up saying "Display Driver stopped working, Kernal driver" etc or something to that effect. It was beyond random. After countless troubleshooting, nothing I could do was preventing it. I ended up just RMA'ing the damn thing because nothing was helping, even on fresh formats, many variation of drivers, etc.

I did not want to believe it because I hate the RMA process, but I would definitely suggest that if you are within your warranty. If not, I guess you can try and test it with another computer if you have? The process of elimination can be nerve racking sometimes

Best of luck

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    this happens to me with my graphics cards overclock, I reduced my card to stock numbers (not factory overclock) and the problem does not occur at all now in any game
    OK my card is overclocked I would I put it to normal numbers?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by dannyl View Post
    I had this problem after months of a new graphics card at the time (GTX 780). I kept getting random crashes, but it wasn't POL or anything windows would pop up saying "Display Driver stopped working, Kernal driver" etc or something to that effect. It was beyond random. After countless troubleshooting, nothing I could do was preventing it. I ended up just RMA'ing the damn thing because nothing was helping, even on fresh formats, many variation of drivers, etc.

I did not want to believe it because I hate the RMA process, but I would definitely suggest that if you are within your warranty. If not, I guess you can try and test it with another computer if you have? The process of elimination can be nerve racking sometimes

Best of luck
    This is what happens to me, did a new video card fix the problem? I mean it's only happening to me in FFXI.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    This is what happens to me, did a new video card fix the problem? I mean it's only happening to me in FFXI.
    When I built a new PC, I was running into this problem (vid card GTX970). I think it has to do with how old XI is and the fact SE never really kept the game up to date, its still based on DX8 I believe. Nothing I could do would fix the problem: Card isnt overclocked, I tried multiple drivers, it would constantly crash and give a kernel error. I know the card is fine because I was able to play newer games (Shadow of Mordor, CoD:AW, COD:BW3) on near max settings and it wasnt crashing or overheating. I contacted Nvidia and they said that its a problem with the game. I wound up putting my old PC back together to use for XI.

I know the DX's are supposed to be reverse compatible, but I dont think the reverse compatibility was meant to roll that far back.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    It fixed the problem. But to be clear at the time when this was happening to me I wasn't playing FFXI... was on break. Rather I was playing BF4 / Warframe; I suppose more graphic intensive game. But the display driver crash / kernel driver really concerned me because that is not a normal type of crash from my experience.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by dannyl View Post
    It fixed the problem. But to be clear at the time when this was happening to me I wasn't playing FFXI... was on break. Rather I was playing BF4 / Warframe; I suppose more graphic intensive game. But the display driver crash / kernel driver really concerned me because that is not a normal type of crash from my experience.
    Yea I am only experiencing this on FFXI, last night it crashed again and I immediately check my temps, GPU and CPU were both 55-60 degrees so its not over heating.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Have you tried switching to a different driver version?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast