+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    It might be explained differently in the movies, but Black Panther's power is half tech based and half mystical/magic shit.

Tony's motivation is pretty in line with how it was portrayed in the comic storyline (though comic Civil War and the movie was vastly different). Both instances was grief stricken moms guilt tripping him with a sob story.
    Never read a single comic before, thanks for the clarification(s).

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I liked that Cap's speech to Spidey was included in the film but didn't like that it wasn't Cap saying it to Spidey. Which is understandable considering how late into the game he was introduced.

Action was great. Spidey was fantastic. The character's motivations make sense purely because we have the previous movies to use to establish them (unlike BvS which tossed it all into 1 movie). Tony's made sense, constantly trying to redeem himself after constantly fucking up (IE, selling weapons to allies+enemies in IM1, building Ultron to protect the world, etc, etc). He's gotten to the point that he knows the world needs protecting and that he wants to do it, but he doesn't feel he has the foresight to avoid any/all collateral damage or to foresee all the consequences of his actions (as his actions in the past have caused a lot of bad shit to happen). Hence why he's more than willing to sign.

Cap's motivation I don't think is as strong. He doesn't want to sign mainly because of what happened in CA2 I think. Wherein the Government he believed in and listened to ended up being just as corrupt as the people he was fighting. So he's chosen to believe in himself and fight for what he knows to be right. Add in his friendship with Bucky, the only guy who was his friend when he was a scrawny nobody, and the fact that Bucky was brainwashed and isn't the only WS and etc, etc. The initial conflict is from him not wanting to be controlled by a power that could have it's own agenda, and the following conflict from there on is because of the whole IM side not knowing about all the underlying shit that Capt is trying to take care of.

Zemo was a little weak. He was another consequence of the Avenger's actions which was good to a certain point. But given the scope of everything, ultimately he fell a little short as a villain I thought. If he was actually a Hydra member or part of the Nazi's or whatever, as opposed to just being a Sokovia special Ops. or whatever he was, and if he was much more evil as opposed to being fueled by vengeance/revenge, again, could have been much stronger as a result.

TL;DR: Movie overall was really good. But because the Capt vs Stark stuff took up so much time, the underlying evil "villain" felt weak and not as well developed as he should have been.

Black Panther was fucking dope too. And yeah, given what happens in the comics, I was expecting Capt to die at some point during the entire movie lol

TEAM SPIDEY AND ANTMAN HOLY FUCK LOL I LOVE THEM SO MUCH

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Friday: Weapons system's offline.
    Iron Man: How is that possible?
    *Ant-Man pulling out wires inside Iron-Man's suit*
    Ant-Man: Yeah, you might have to take this thing into a shop afterwards.
    Iron Man: Who... is... speaking?
    Ant-Man (from inside Iron Man suit): Your conscience. We don't speak much lately.

Another one is when he grows into Giant Man and the expression on his face and Spider-Man's reaction. Enormous levels of happiness been had.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Loved all the action sequences, felt the story was a bit weak. Zemo is probably the weakest villain to date in the MCU but that's not such a bad thing as the focus of this movie was (and should) have been on the moral dilemmas and heroes vs. heroes stuff. The character interactions were all very well done. I was absolutely expecting Cap'n to die at the end and was honestly disappointed that he didn't. Overall I'd say its very good but not quite great. As of now, I still think Cap 2 was better but I might change that after another viewing.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I found it funny how leading up to the movie they teased the fans with info about a character/hero dying in the film. And the only one who did was Peggy Carter because she was old as fuck lol

i had to take a melatonin to calm the fuck down and sleep because im still so god damn hyped from MOTHERFUCKING GIANT MAN AND SPIDEY AND ALL THE FIGHT SEQUENCES AND FUCK YES BLACK PANTHER

also.. god damn, not even a cut away from winter soldier bashing starks head in out of the car... that shit was brutal. i truly felt so awful for tony during that scene

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Jfc can ironman ever not fuck it up? Half of these Marvel movies only happened because Tony Stark fucks up. He finds out that a brainwashed Bucky killed his parents, after just learning that he's been wrong this entire time about him blowing up the UN, and his first reaction is to once again go out of line and attack him? Christ, I really hope he retires now that its his fault his best friend is crippled.

That being said this movie was fantastic. Ant Man and Spider-Man stole the show for me. I just really wish they'd better explain Tony's motivation when really every single problem has been solved by Captain America going off the grid and not listening to the powers-that-be. Then again this is a movie and I guess I should turn my brain off a little bit lol.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    Friday: Weapons system's offline.
    Iron Man: How is that possible?
    *Ant-Man pulling out wires inside Iron-Man's suit*
    Ant-Man: Yeah, you might have to take this thing into a shop afterwards.
    Iron Man: Who... is... speaking?
    Ant-Man (from inside Iron Man suit): Your conscience. We don't speak much lately.

Another one is when he grows into Giant Man and the expression on his face and Spider-Man's reaction. Enormous levels of happiness been had.
    Would've been a great thing to echo later on.

Antman: mama told me to never trust a Stark.
    Tony: Who are you?
    Antman: *coughyourconsciencecough*

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

We will never know if Spidey is Team AT-AT or @@

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    We will never know if Spidey is Team AT-AT or @@
    But we do know, he's team "walking thingie".

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

was p. good

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Jfc can ironman ever not fuck it up? Half of these Marvel movies only happened because Tony Stark fucks up. He finds out that a brainwashed Bucky killed his parents, after just learning that he's been wrong this entire time about him blowing up the UN, and his first reaction is to once again go out of line and attack him? Christ, I really hope he retires now that its his fault his best friend is crippled.
    that's not as much a fuckup as an entirely human response, aka "I don't care, he killed my mom."

also, how about cap's "fuckup" wherein if he cared even a little bit for anyone else in the world as much as for his bromance he would not have gone to siberia in the first place and nothing would have happened, cuz no other winter soldier actually were activated

oh and because of him war machine is paralyzed, and he never even asked about him once when tony showed up to help him

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ha! That was a completely normal response. They had just made up and were on the same said with Tony himself admitting he was wrong only to get his face spat in.

As much as people want to say Tony fucked up and all, Caps lack of simply speaking up for the little guy (himself here) was a major cause of everything as well. All of his "virtue" didn't amount to anything at the end. By the time of the Airport, he had all the information and evidence needed to prove his boys innocence saves the bodies... which everyone present could have gone together as a group to check it out and shut it down.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

WARNING SPOILERS!! Captain America: Civil War - Discussion Thread - SPOILERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabai View Post
    Just left the theater. Great movie overall. Good pacing. Tony's motivations were meh to me initially (some mom guilt tripping him about his son felt weak and shoehorned) but they did make it a point for him to list all his fuck ups and pepper leaving so it works somewhat.

Is BP serum infused? I'm guessing the warrior king with his resources could develop something similar but he was running as fast as cap/Bucky and I'm not sure if that was plot device or he's 'enhanced'.

Seriously thought one of the three in that final scene would die.

Fredrick Zoller was the bad guy, can't hate on my boy because Inglorious Bastards was an awesome movie.

Airport scene was fantastic. The choreography for the fights left nothing to be desired. Spidey was great, really captured the way I'd imagine him to be.

There's about a dozen other things that I'm thinking right now but this is a long enough post and my ADD is kicking in.
    BP was actually not running as fast as them. Bucky was outrunning cars and Panther was not.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    Ha! That was a completely normal response. They had just made up and were on the same said with Tony himself admitting he was wrong only to get his face spat in.

As much as people want to say Tony fucked up and all, Caps lack of simply speaking up for the little guy (himself here) was a major cause of everything as well. All of his "virtue" didn't amount to anything at the end. By the time of the Airport, he had all the information and evidence needed to prove his boys innocence saves the bodies... which everyone present could have gone together as a group to check it out and shut it down.

I think Cap wanted deeply some beef with stark anyway, at least to kick his ass. They allways had a tention and issues together. See avengers 1&2.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Lol. Someone should have told Cap that's how Tupac and Biggie died!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    I found it funny how leading up to the movie they teased the fans with info about a character/hero dying in the film. And the only one who did was Peggy Carter because she was old as fuck lol
    Yeah.

This was my second thought after the movie. The first being: this was pretty awesome. No deaths on either side (even Rhodes will probably get his paralyzed ass in new suit made by Tony) I found pretty lame tbh. Especially the fight at the end I expected one of the 3 to die, most likely suspect: cap jumping in front of a shot aimed for Bucky. Iron Man had proper motivation to fire that shot anyway. So wasted potential imo.

As for Iron Man shooting Falcon, to me it screamed: 'set phasers to stun'. No intention to kill.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Y'all seem to be forgetting that the whole TeamCap v TeamIM thing is not about whose personality is best. Even in books, people joined the team of their choice based on their personal reasons. I am TeamCap because fuck concentration camps. Fuck government collars. And fuck ungrateful pricks who wanted you to clean up their mess, and in the end blame you for causing damage. Shit, even Tony himself, subtly implied during his speech at uni, you gotta break some eggs, son.

One thing I will agree with Ross on though. Avengers acting without impunity across the world and breaking international border rules, does need to be reigned in. But those are the laws criminals end up abusing. Even then, government covert ops, still go in, extract or eliminate the threats without the host country ever learning about it or being paid off.

We can debate the personality cult till the cows come home, but that's not what sparked the Civil War, it just added fuel.