FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Official footage of the Doom gameplay
    At our GeForce GTX 1080 launch we teamed up with id Software to demonstrate DOOM running at up to 200 FPS, using the power of the world's fastest and most advanced graphics card, and the capabilities of the Vulkan graphics API. The footage was fast and furious, and silky smooth, but the short clip left gamers wanting more.

Speaking about the debut of the GeForce GTX 1080, Vulkan-enhanced footage last weekend, id Software Executive Producer Marty Stratton said, "Thanks again to NVIDIA for allowing us to show DOOM at their event in Austin on Saturday. We were thrilled with the response to the videos that some in the audience captured and posted, but we also know you'd like to see high-res, full-screen gameplay."

We're ecstatic then that id wanted to present fans a new, uncut 6-minute direct feed, 1920x1080, 60 FPS, 2.1GB PC gameplay video that shows the full fidelity, speed, and quality of DOOM, which launches this Friday on Steam. This is the world's first uncompressed direct feed footage from the GeForce GTX-powered, Vulkan-accelerated version of DOOM, running at full speed with a 120 degree field of view, giving you a perfect look at how DOOM plays on PC with settings and options cranked up. "This gameplay at 120 FOV - with the player's personal upgrades and rune perks set for advanced speed and movement capabilities", added Stratton.

Captured on a GeForce GTX Titan X after the event, because id Software "accidentally left their GeForce GTX 1080 at the event when packing up", the new video shows 6 minutes of uninterrupted footage from the Vulkan version of DOOM, which will be released in the not too distant future. If you're unfamiliar with Vulkan, it's a new graphics API renderer with a simpler, thinner driver, and efficient CPU multi-threading capabilities. Compared to DirectX or OpenGL, Vulkan has less latency and overhead, and can help your system reach new levels of performance. In simpler terms, Vulkan can help developers avoid CPU bottlenecks that limit performance, and can improve performance elsewhere, too.

On a GeForce GTX 1080, Vulkan-accelerated DOOM is going to run even faster, and be capable of running smoothly at higher resolutions, delivering an even higher quality experience that will further enhance fidelity on your PC.
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...gameplay-video
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...s-using-vulkan
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...pus-game-ready
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...force-gtx-1080

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Reviews for the 1080 are all over the web today. Looks like a pretty hefty performance boost over the 980Ti and Fury X most of the time, anywhere from 10% to 30%, and even more in some cases.

Probably not worth the $$ to someone with a last-gen card. Anyone considering buying one should at least wait for the AiB manufacturers to release their cards, since the $100 premium for the Founders Edition is rather bullshit.

Lastly, the 1070 will come soon and may approach the performance of the 1080, for a lot less cash.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm buying a 1070.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have a 970, plan on going 21:9 soon so I'll be doing a 1080 probably. She just asked what I wanted as a wedding gift, I linked her a 1080 lol.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well looking at 4k performance from a standard 980, it's nearly doubling FPS. It's still not 60 FPS max settings, but I suppose that's probably expected. 1080ti will probably be able to do that. I still might go for a 1080 though. I always get burnt with this shit though. Might just wait til November to see if a ti version is out. I've done this long without it. Still have plenty of time to decide, nothing I need day 1, besides I'm not paying for a retarded ass founders edition.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Took 8 months for the 980 ti to come out after the 980, and imo only came out to mess w/ the amd fury launch. probably would've been 10-11 months otherwise.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

some real world performance reviews

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So according to the review Nvidia exaggerated somewhat about it beating the Titan. It's true in some benchmarks but not in others.

This is fine to me. In a blind test I'll probably never really notice the difference, and the cost difference between 1080 and Titan makes the decision all the simpler.

As it stands, besides being all hardcore and stuff and wanting the best, the only reason I want a Titan now is to say "yeah there's a titan inside my PC" lol

I'm happy I waited!

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Titan class has to come out after a few months, then after people get their heads busted and asses raped for $1k, they release the x80ti that is 3% slower than titan tier for 65% of the price.

I'll be selling my 980ti for 1080 and probably selling that for 1080ti when it comes out. Cards will finally have cause up with 144hz 1440p well enough by the 1080ti.(might sli 1080 tho). Ti probably wont come out til next year. I cant wait that long.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Also, as nice as these benchmarks are, there will be even more fps gains from aftermarker cooler OC'd cards from gigabyte,asus,msi,evga,zotac etc. Those usually add another 7-15 fps depending on card.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

33 pages of info and benchmarks/tests @ http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...s-card-review/

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Kinda curious to how much these performance gains are from the new architecture and how much is it just increased clock speeds.

Sure the die shrunk. I understand that it can do more with less power, but heat output is the same. If you could overclock a titan x to 1700mhz do you think it would put out same numbers as pascal?

So does the new architecture just allow much higher clock speeds and not really superior data processing? also has smaller memory bus.

just wondering, still great card.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The increased clock speeds are intertwined with the new architecture. Less heat generation (via increased efficiency from Pascal) offers the ability for high clock speeds. Can't have one without the other.

There's a bunch of new tricks with Pascal (better memory compression, whatever the fuck they call the new V Sync alternative, the assorted VR/multimonitor things), but for most consumers it's just an evolution of the previous cards. The still shitty Async compute is a sign of that.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Digital Foundry's 1080 tests
    Spoiler: show

Yea, after reading everything and seeing the reviews, i can wait for the 1080ti. Amazing card for anyone not on the 980ti already. Still not seeing the stead 4k@60fps that would of sent me to buy the card. It hit it for a lot of things, but those are average scores for most things, meaning at some point they will drop and that shit bugs me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

the 1080 is really close to the price point of the x80ti models. which is kinda not good. 1080 ti could be a $799 card.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

1070 base specs are out, looks pretty tasty if you're aiming for 1440p or want to future proof 1080p for a couple years.

256GB/sec memory bandwidth, 1506 base clock, and only a 150 TDP

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm afraid the gap between the 1070 and 1080 will be greater than previously expected. No big deal either way, but I'm hoping for the 1070 to lay some massive hurt on my 970 (I have a tertiary need for a second card so I'd love to bump the 970 out of my system).

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

2560 vs 1920 CUDA cores
    1607 vs 1506 base core clock
    320 GB/s vs 256 GB/s memory bandwidth

Probably gonna be looking at 20%ish less performance compared to the 1080, which still puts in above or right around the Titan X in most situations, but at a substantially lower price point and TDP.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Asus teasing what would likely be the 1080M, showing that it scores equal with a Titan X in 3D Mark 11