+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Excited, but I do hope the multiplayer is a bit more stable.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, whoever was in charge of the announcement packet should be slapped in the back of the head. I'll give the graphics a pass for now, not really having a problem with it.

Need to see more gameplay, but the lack of techs is still concerting.

More of a "sit and wait" attitude now instead of my previous "fuck you, firaxis!"

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

smh nerds sure are a fickle lot prone to overreaction

every numbered Civ I-V has been good to great, Firaxis shouldn't have been thrown under the bus because of a couple of screenshots and a reddit source

gameplay footage looks p dope. stoked they aren't stripping out Civ V expansion features like espionage/religion and the unfolded cities look great. i'm a shameless warmonger tho, would like to see more of the reworked combat (especially siege) system beyond barbarum smashing

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Just started playing civ v today. Never played a civ game before am looking forward to 6

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Civ is something that I usually only end up playing once a year, but when I do it's just ~72 hours where I may as well have been deleted from the face of the earth, because it's all I will do outside of work and sleep (which I get considerably less of during this time period).

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Didn't watch too much of the gameplay video, but what I did see put my mind at ease somewhat. The announcement screens really did look like fucking trash, but seeing it in full context, it looks much better. Still not really what i'd like, but tolerable.

Still a huge fan of the distributed cities. hopeful.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah that helped a lot with my optimism towards the game. I can get over the graphics just fine as long as the actual gameplay evolves and doesn't get relegated to some mobile bullshit.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    It's not even an overreaction - Based on the current trend of games, especially 'RTS' games on mobile, the initial impression (which is important, by the way) gave off the feel it'll be a fairly shitty downtoned game to be ported to mobiles full of microtransactions, it didn't help that it was reported quite a lot of technologies will be reduced.

If you could seriously sit there and say: "Oh, well that's ok, doesn't mean anything. the game will still be great!" after that, bravo, you're far more optimistic than most gamers lol.

If they had thrown out, say those videos and actual information, I guarantee people wouldn't have tossed them under the bus like they did, because that would have been a FAR better initial impression.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I don't see any way you can spin seeing a couple screenshots and a rumor and proclaiming "FUCK IT, GAME IS DEAD" as not an overreaction.

Being skeptical or even cynical is justifiable, but that's several steps beyond that.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusian girls View Post
    I'm going to redact a lot of the insults I was going to hurl at you for this braindead comment, but I'll say one thing:

Its not a goddamn overreaction. Have you SEEN where the industry has tried to steer itself lately? Have which direction corporations want to take gaming to?

Protip: it ain't fucking PC.

I don't see any way you can spin seeing a couple screenshots and a rumor and proclaiming "FUCK IT, GAME IS DEAD" as not an overreaction.
    I'll give you a few to start:

-When it wasn't just the screencap of shitty, seemingly mobile graphics.
    -When they toss out roughly half of the techs with no (initial) explanation.
    -When the previous track record of the company showed an increasing focus on cash-grabby mobile titles (2 mobile titles since Civ V released).
    -When the last major Civ title was essentially a complete and utter flop.

Here's the bottom line: Its never the customer's job to fill in the blanks for a company when they show the customer their product. The company has full control - barring leaks - of the time, place, method and contents of what they want the customer to see with any given project. When Firaxis decides to show us a rehashed FMV (as much as I love the intro vids, there's nothing special about them: have an old-sounding white man talk about history while highlight reals of past events scroll by = profit) of a generic Civ intro with some shitty still shot screens, it will never be the public's fault for reacting a certain way any more than it was the public's fault of cursing SE last year for trolling the shit out of everyone wanting a FFVII remake by teasing it before showing that shitty chibi mobile title. Go figure, the following year they made amends by actually showing what they public was hoping to see.

How about that.

I'm with most everyone else here: the gameplay video did a lot to dispel some of my fears, but was hardly "overreacting" to the mobile-looking tripe I was initially shown. People are on edge about non-mobile origin titles going mobile all the time.

If you need a refresher as to why, look at the new Breath of Fire.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Here's the bottom line: Its never the customer's job to fill in the blanks for a company when they show the customer their product.
    I agree with this. It's not the customer's job, so they shouldn't be so quick to do it every time something isn't shown. It was an announcement, they don't have to demo the entire game day 1.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    I agree with this. It's not the customer's job, so they shouldn't be so quick to do it every time something isn't shown. It was an announcement, they don't have to demo the entire game day 1.
    For a mass of people, you are literally asking the impossible. You're also asking for something that even companies don't want. The entire point of a teaser, be it an image, a clip, a sneak peek or anything else, is precisely for that reason: to get customers to presume something about the product as a whole. That is literally why companies release snippets of things long before a product is ready to be released fully!

Companies make millions and billions off of initial images or trailers or shots of a product. Look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. Tons of sales based on the initial (bullshot) offerings.

How much money has been made for ultimately shitty products based on a few early teasers of said products? Shit, look at Batman vs. Superman. The snippets they released again and again where ultimately better than the product as a whole. They made money off of those trailers. Civ just did the opposite here. If the game launched today based on what we saw last week, sales would tank. That just means they did a horrible job with their initial showing.

Once again, the consumer can think whatever they want. Its not another consumer's fault - or problem - if other consumers look at what companies release to them and draw opinions based on it, especially when factoring in past works. Drawing opinions based on past experience is the first step towards making an informed decision. The next step, of course, is research, which is what we've been able to do a bit more since the initial shitty offerings.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    If the game launched today based on what we saw last week, sales would tank. That just means they did a horrible job with their initial showing.
    Except they wouldn't necessarily, because the first things that would be said as soon as someone got it in their hands was "Oh, this doesn't look as bad decently zoomed out, guess we were freaked out about nothing." First day/week sales do generally make a pretty big difference, but word of mouth can spread pretty quick if it turned out to actually be good. Kind of like Doom, if you were following the press, everyone was absolutely positive it would be shit because of the general multiplayer beta reaction and the fact that they refused to give out review copies. Yet it's doing absolutely fine.

There's a difference between reading the tea leaves and tempering your expectations based on that information versus caustic declarations of hatred. One is reacting, one is overreacting.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    Except they wouldn't necessarily, because the first things that would be said as soon as someone got it in their hands was "Oh, this doesn't look as bad decently zoomed out, guess we were freaked out about nothing."
    That's assuming people weren't immediately turned off and actually bought it, because as said, current trends then the initial preview we got on CIV 6's reveal didn't do so hot. I'm cynical about very few games and care even less about graphics, but it was not a pretty sight to see.

It looks better zoomed out, sure, so why didn't Friaxis show case that? Why did they have to showcase something that clearly wasn't a good way to go about it and damn near look like one of the plethora of shitty mobile RTS games that's rife with microtransactions? The last true CIV offering we got was CIV IV and CIV V; Beyond Earth was "okay" but even that didn't take such a huge leap as what was initially shown. So even if you still feel it's overreacting, maybe it's more of a case of you not caring enough. I promise you if a game you're looking forward to that has no information or preview suddenly releases a media packet that makes it look and sound worse than it's previous iteration, you'd "overreact" too.

I mean, while not on the same playing field as CIV, but take the Sonic games for example. It's no secret they've been shit the past decade basically, so don't you think people have eventually come to terms with "On new Sonic game? It'll be shit even if it sounds good/looks good" to the point they won't buy it until they see reviews? Maybe I'm just oldschool, but if I'm not impressed with a game from it's initial "hey look at me!" teaser, I'm not shelling out money to find out if it's good or bad because games are far too expensive to gamble on "oh so all of the previews just didn't do it justice!"

The only time I'd do that is when they're OBVIOUSLY underselling a game, but the only information and preview we got on CIV 6 was the only thing we had to go on, so how'd we know if it was underselling or just sinfully scaled down for a mobile audience? That's why that little gameplay preview would have done soo much more being part of the initial teaser. So much more.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I'm still skeptical about the slashed amount of techs, but the revelation that civics will now be akin to a second tech tree goes a long way to easing my fears. I wonder if that's the "new" way to win, maybe taking the place of culture victory by completing a civic tree.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    I promise you if a game you're looking forward to that has no information or preview suddenly releases a media packet that makes it look and sound worse than it's previous iteration, you'd "overreact" too.
    I can promise you I wouldn't. Because it happens more often than being excited for a game and it turning out to be good. I've learned to keep my expectations grounded in reality rather than diving off the deep end every time something slightly unnerving happens in a game I'm excited about.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    That's assuming people weren't immediately turned off and actually bought it, because as said, current trends then the initial preview we got on CIV 6's reveal didn't do so hot. I'm cynical about very few games and care even less about graphics, but it was not a pretty sight to see.

It looks better zoomed out, sure, so why didn't Friaxis show case that? Why did they have to showcase something that clearly wasn't a good way to go about it and damn near look like one of the plethora of shitty mobile RTS games that's rife with microtransactions? The last true CIV offering we got was CIV IV and CIV V; Beyond Earth was "okay" but even that didn't take such a huge leap as what was initially shown. So even if you still feel it's overreacting, maybe it's more of a case of you not caring enough. I promise you if a game you're looking forward to that has no information or preview suddenly releases a media packet that makes it look and sound worse than it's previous iteration, you'd "overreact" too.

I mean, while not on the same playing field as CIV, but take the Sonic games for example. It's no secret they've been shit the past decade basically, so don't you think people have eventually come to terms with "On new Sonic game? It'll be shit even if it sounds good/looks good" to the point they won't buy it until they see reviews? Maybe I'm just oldschool, but if I'm not impressed with a game from it's initial "hey look at me!" teaser, I'm not shelling out money to find out if it's good or bad because games are far too expensive to gamble on "oh so all of the previews just didn't do it justice!"

The only time I'd do that is when they're OBVIOUSLY underselling a game, but the only information and preview we got on CIV 6 was the only thing we had to go on, so how'd we know if it was underselling or just sinfully scaled down for a mobile audience? That's why that little gameplay preview would have done soo much more being part of the initial teaser. So much more.
    Woah, Sonic Generations was good.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I'm looking for people to play civ 5 with if anyone is interested

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I gotta say, that looked pretty fucking cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast