+ Reply to Thread
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Looking for info from Ottawa residents

My GF and I are going to the Canadian Tulip Festival during the long weekend (leaving QC friday the 20th at night) and planning to stay in Ottawa till the 22nd at night

We have rent a small bed and breakfast room and we pretty happy about it.

So i'm looking for informations

1) Does Ottawa have 'cheap' bike renting services that we coult rent to bike towards the different 'tulip parks?' We trying our best not to use the car, and I've found a good visit map for the festival but it's 11KM so kinda long to do on foot when visiting

2) If the bike option is not good, What is the best 'park' for Tulips? since there seems to be like 4 places

3) Exept the Tulips where do you recommand a good place to visit, that doesn't cost that much? We are kinda on a budget atm. Place we plan to visit are the tulip festival, Gatineau Rideau Canal and something called ByWard Maket

Anything else? I don't think we will go see the parliament since we both don't care much about politics

Thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Bike sharing I think is just gone now, so bike rental's your best bet. There are lots of places, maybe the most hassle free one is called rentabike located on the canal pathway at Colonel By as it passes under Rideau. Pretty close to the destinations you mentioned wanting to visit.

Downtown is nice and compact and has pretty decent bike infrastructure. From Rideau and Sussex you're a stone's throw away from the NGC, Major's Hill Park, and the mouth of the canal, which is a nice place to take in the tulip festival. If you're into biking it's also a crossroads from which you can bike along NCC pathways south along the canal towards the Glebe, north across the Alexandra Bridge into Gatineau, or east and west along the Ottawa river towards Rockcliffe and Westboro respectively.

Byward is good for a laugh but it can be pretty sketchy. If you go in for this sort of thing I highly recommend you light up a cigarette in front of the McDonald's on Rideau some time. If not, the food's better in little Italy on Preston and the coffee's better in the Glebe.

Zombie Apocalypse Princess

BG Level

Byward Market's only sketchy later on in the night.

Is it still the law here that bicycles are considered vehicles and technically aren't allowed on pedestrian sidewalks?..

Edit: I decided not to be lazy and looked it up. Here's the bicycle by-law stuff:

"Cycling on the sidewalk is prohibited by the City of Ottawa Traffic and Parking By-law except where it is permitted by official or authorized signs."

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transp...ycling-and-law

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Well bike is out of the question, not interested in paying 25-30$ x2 for 1 day if bike