Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Thief Merits/Weapons for Current Content

I just 99'd my Thief this past week and am looking for some advice from experienced players on optimal merit setups as well as weapon choice. After a bit of searching I have gleamed that most players suggest some variation of:

Group 1:
    Sneak Attack or Trick Attack 5/5
    Triple Attack Rate 5/5

Group 2:
    Aura Steal 1/5
    Assassin's Charge 1/5
    Feint 3/5
    Ambush 5/5

Is this still considered the norm for most Thieves? Also, what are your opinions on Sneak Attack vs Trick Attack? Do trusts / frequency of solo play make TA merits more appealing than they used to be or is the DPS increase of SA merits too big to ignore?

Also, in order to avoid making another thread, I'd like to ask a few questions about THF weapon selection/usage. The two 99 daggers I currently have are Atoyac and Eminent Dagger. What should I be looking to upgrade to next? Is the Homestead Dagger any good? Sandung is appealing with its bonus to TH, but is it actually a decent weapon outside of that? Can anyone provide me with a general idea of what THF weapon progression is like leading up to mythic/empyrean?

Thank you in advance for all of your comments and advice.

(Apologies if this post is not in the correct place. It's been quite a while since I last posted on BG and I'm a bit lost due to the removal of the RQT thread. Mods please feel free to move / delete this post if necessary.)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

So, my merits vary greatly, but that's because I had them tailored to specific events - I'd say those are good as is

for weapons, I currently own Izhiikoh (delve) and Sandung - the next step in this progression would be Shijo from Ru'Aun T2, followed by Taming Sari with augments from Sinister Reign. Two perfect Saris can outdo most options in the game outside of RMEA.
    Sandung is a good weapon, but mostly once you augment it, because it gives Acc.+50 / TA+3 / Crit.Rate+5%. So yes, I'd say it's a rather useful offhand for quite a bit.
    Other alternative weapons are Skinflayer (Reisen T2) and Odium, though those are rather odd weapons and vary across setups? Skinflayer is a harpe-type which isn't a commonly used weapon amongst THF players, and is further subjected to the random augment system of Reisenjima, and Odium's a vagary drop.
    I just don't see it often.

Hope this helps.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

5/5 Triple Attack
    2-3/5 for SA and TA

- Assassin's Charge is completely worthless
    - Ambush is not particularly potent, but might as well if you don't give a shit about the others
    - Feint is worthwhile for TH, and moreso if you're using the relic augment bonus
    - Aura Steal is pretty handy on some enemies, particularly if you can steal an Attack Boost or something

For Daggers:
    - RMEA (269 skill) daggers are tops, and situationally it's really between Vajra, Twashtar, and Aeneas. Even Mandau is far better than non-RMEA daggers, but lacks the potential of the others.
    - Of the RME at 242, only Vajra can really compete
    - Homestead is great for WKR but that's it
    - Taming Sari is ideal for a non-RMEA dagger, follow/potentially tied by Skinflayer
    - Generally from there on, I can't recall the progression but the jump in damage potential isn't very large between other 119 daggers. Odium, Shijo, Sandung, Ipetam are all pretty decent, Izhiikoh is good but is topped by those others. Don't bother with Blurred or Nibiru.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

5/5 Triple attack for sure.
    I go 5/5 Trick Attack because it is far easier to find something to TA than to SA as I am tanking / pull hate a lot.

Ass Charge really isn't worth it.

I go:
    1/5 Aura Steal
    4/5 Feint
    5/5 Ambush

I don't really have faith in high procs of TH or rely on them at all. TH certainly helps and I have my gearswap to tag TH8 to start, but I've done plenty of fights where a full feint doesn't level up TH at all, so 4/5 vs 5/5 I couldn't give any fucks about.

My dagger ranking is:

Aeonic best mainhand in most situations.
    Vajra best mainhand in certain situations.
    Twashtar best mainhand in high acc situations.
    Mandau exists.
    Taming Sari 2nd best offhand (to Twashtar) and best offhand for high acc situations.
    Skinflayer right after.

I'd just merc a skinflayer unless you're already closing in on SR access and skip ahead on weapons.