1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 3 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raiya Li'aurellia
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Patch 3.3 - Revenge of the Horde Trailer Is Now Live!

http://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/621...94d52af78e.png

As the skies of Ishgard grow dark and portentous, a roar sounds throughout the heavens. At long last, Nidhogg and his brood have taken flight, and prepare to descend upon Ishgard. The final chorus is nigh.

But all throughout the realm, other stories remain untold. A city weeps, brought low by a calamity of ages past. A trove of treasures and traps hidden deep underground waits to be discovered. A tropical paradise now plays host to a grueling gauntlet. Fortune, glory, salvation─all these things and more await one with the strength of will to stand and fight.

The realm cries out for a hero, and today we offer you a glimpse of the trials they must face in the Patch 3.3 - Revenge of the Horde trailer!

View the trailer.
    (http://sqex.to/vc4)

All Imma say is this....

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Brace yourself:

1.) More scripted Point A > Point B dungeons.
    2.) Void Ark V2
    3.) Steps of Faith V2

PREPARE YOURSELF!

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

How dead is this game?

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    How dead is this game?
    I feel like it depends on how much content you have to go through. A couple patches behind? Lots of fun. Caught up and doing the same old daily/weekly roulettes and grinds? Boring as hell.

If you're asking server population wise, Fairie was still pretty busy the last time I logged in

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Nidhogg/Estenien fight looks pretty good, along with Ozma.. but those are just fights. Though I hear Final Steps of Faith EX will drop weapons I would assume.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    How dead is this game?
    Huge mass of people who originally played the game left by the time 3.1 dropped.

At this point it's a mix of newer people who started 2.55/3.0, and players who had been playing since 2.2 or so. Could probably ask any person here who started since 1.0/2.0 and ask them how dead their Friend List is individually.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Huge mass of people who originally played the game left by the time 3.1 dropped.

At this point it's a mix of newer people who started 2.55/3.0, and players who had been playing since 2.2 or so. Could probably ask any person here who started since 1.0/2.0 and ask them how dead their Friend List is individually.
    Played since 1.0, friendlist wise, including people who I added throughout 2.0 - 3.2, I have:
    18 (Deleted)
    12 Heart Group (Deleted) that I remember which were my old raid LS in 1.2x that hopped servers who's last achievements were October 20th 2015 thus stopped playing last year
    72 people who never logged in for as long as I've been active (Never see them on when I'm on 8 hours a day past week.)

So..yeah, I know balmung and such is popular server but I know Sarga and Chocobo aren't exactly dead servers but I can definitely tell a lot of people just..vanished.

As for the info...as pretty of a trailer as it was, Final Steps of Faith is the only relevant content in this update that'll last (cuz of BS mechanics obviously) and Void Ark, while cool and all, I know will be something you do start of week and never look at again based on what item they drop weekly, which previous VA should be dropping a new item or this one should drop a lore upgrade item per week since we're pretty much at the end of Savage Cycle and Spirit Savage should be 3.4.

And no matter how many times I see it/say it, I still can't get over all the shit people give FFX/X-2/XIII games for their "hallways" but you can go to the "positive communities" and see them praising XIV's dungeon design....

And yes, Nidhogg Drops Weapons, MOST LIKELY Ilvl240 given the ilvl220 minimum requirement as well as most likely a Ridill, since well, they couldn't name him Fafnir anyway.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Proper trailer:

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    A couple patches behind? Lots of fun.
    Must be quite a few patches behind though. I haven't been more than 2 patches behind (thanks free trials, because fuck paying for this game), but even that only took like 3 days (casually playing) to catch up and being bored the 4th free day.

Good thing the Nidhogg bullshit ends this patch, only 3 patches late (shit should have ended in 3.0 imo).

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    Must be quite a few patches behind though. I haven't been more than 2 patches behind (thanks free trials, because fuck paying for this game), but even that only took like 3 days (casually playing) to catch up and being bored the 4th free day.

Good thing the Nidhogg bullshit ends this patch, only 3 patches late (shit should have ended in 3.0 imo).
    They have no content planned for after Dragonsong War so they had to stretch it as far as possible.

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post

Makes me sad. I wanted this game to last...

I played since 1.0 til right before heavenward (used to coil with rata and waka), and even then my fiends list was almost devoid of people online.

Been thinking of coming back to try the game out but if it's the same tomestone/coil setup I'll wait

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    They have no content planned for after Dragonsong War so they had to stretch it as far as possible.
    That's pretty much false considering they already said plenty of times they have shit planned until 4.0. The whole plan seems to end the war then use the last couple of patches to tie into the next expansion. SE doesn't have problem pumping out content. They have a problem pumping out lasting content that doesn't amount to fluff.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

otherwise known as content

In much the same way that a poorly drained parking lot makes a "pool."

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That pretty much is xiv's biggest and most glaring problem (the myriad of other issues being somewhat less severe): the 3-4 month patch cycle does not fit with the absolute lack of longevity in the content. Outside of the largely meaningless and quickly invalidated tome/scrip grind of infinite tedium, there is no reason for a halfway competent player to take more than a week to finish the entire patch.

Raids last longer based on their design, but that satisfies a small minority.

Always thought that a quick and easy bandaid to the content longevity (and to a lesser extent, itemization) issue would be to expand the materia system, color code materia slots for new colored materias with interesting stats (chance to double attack, chance to absorb damage, etc) and have the materias spread throughout numerous content types with a heavy rng or personal progression element to encourage longer term use of content and battle systems.

For example, Sephirot EX has a low chance to drop a purple quickening materia into your inventory. Hands and hats have a purple materia slot. You can slot that quickening materia in those pieces in order to decrease time between autoattacks by 3%/decrease casting time by 3% (just bullshit examples) or you can farm Void Ark for a chance at a purple materia of confluence which causes you to regenerate 10mp/tic or some shit. I don't know, just examples.

Will never happen, but oh well.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

But that takes imagination and a departure from what's comfortably lazy for the dev team! Also, it would allow players to be different, and we can't have that because every job must be "perfectly balanced".

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    But that takes imagination and a departure from what's comfortably lazy for the dev team! Also, it would allow players to be different, and we can't have that because every job must be "perfectly balanced".
    I want some of what they're having if they still think AST matches up against the other 2 healers at all.

I've always wondered, if the patch methodology was flipped around ever where you have

-New ilvl tier/tome, 24man shit, other faceroll gear acquisition, relic
    -New raid tier

instead of

-New ilvl tier/tome, new raid tier
    -Faceroll catchup, relic

Would that change anything? You still end up with the same content drought but at least the patch after "new raid tier" isn't so lukewarm I guess?

I think SE's real problem at this point is that they don't want to take any more gambles at all. They're somehow in a loop where they can accept everything is fine if they keep a steady flow of new players, keep the most addicted veterans, and not really care about the people in between. But if they say went with a "fixed" patch cycle in 4.0, you know people would bitch about a 3 month longer wait on the new raid tier and cry "no content" or something. So they'd rather stay with the formula.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I want some of what they're having if they still think AST matches up against the other 2 healers at all.

I've always wondered, if the patch methodology was flipped around ever where you have

-New raid tier

instead of

-New ilvl tier/tome, new raid tier
    -Faceroll catchup, relic

Would that change anything? You still end up with the same content drought but at least the patch after "new raid tier" isn't so lukewarm I guess?

I think SE's real problem at this point is that they don't want to take any more gambles at all. They're somehow in a loop where they can accept everything is fine if they keep a steady flow of new players, keep the most addicted veterans, and not really care about the people in between. But if they say went with a "fixed" patch cycle in 4.0, you know people would bitch about a 3 month longer wait on the new raid tier and cry "no content" or something. So they'd rather stay with the formula.
    all you have to do is look at the royal road effects to see why SE think's Ast is balanced. because they balance classes for 4 man content.i mean drk has a trait that has absolutely no raid application but is great in dungeons. beyond that they don't change things unless a job cant complete content in their testing. I shudder to think what seph EX would of been like with Ast main healer without the LA buff and enemity buff on stances.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    That's pretty much false considering they already said plenty of times they have shit planned until 4.0. The whole plan seems to end the war then use the last couple of patches to tie into the next expansion. SE doesn't have problem pumping out content. They have a problem pumping out lasting content that doesn't amount to fluff.
    Yeah I get what you're saying and I know they have planned till 4.0..issue is, will 4.x be 2.x version swimming?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post

-New raid tier
    I'd probably stop playing entirely if they ever did this. I can't think of anything worse than having to do content like relics or farming Void Ark before being able to progress through the raid. Having to do Alexander normal for 2-4 weeks every tier is bad enough and you're suggesting they give us something similar for 3 months. Even if the raids weren't tuned around the VA/tome gear, the gear would be a huge advantage once the raid came out. At least the way things are set up now if you actually have a successful group you have very little incentive to do the shitty content.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they'd stop releasing patches with little to no group content, but if they're here to stay then the option that lets me skip them is preferable.

Also, while six/seven month-long raid tiers are definitely too long, three month-long raid tiers feel too short to me. With easy content rewarding higher ilevel than the raid every 3 months, there'd be even less of a point in raiding for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Always thought that a quick and easy bandaid to the content longevity (and to a lesser extent, itemization) issue would be to expand the materia system, color code materia slots for new colored materias with interesting stats (chance to double attack, chance to absorb damage, etc) and have the materias spread throughout numerous content types with a heavy rng or personal progression element to encourage longer term use of content and battle systems
    For the most part, I think content in this game isn't made to be repeated/spammed, that's the real problem that they need to address. Replayability seems to be so far down their priority list it's not even funny: static hallway with trash-boss-trash-boss, trial with just one boss, bosses with set rotations, etc.

There's a lot that I'd like to see changed before seeing any big incentives to repeat old trials endlessly, because simply adding grind-heavy rewards to them as they are sounds like torture to me.

However, if we must have a reason to keep on killing Garuda EX five years from now for non-vanity rewards, I'd much prefer something like a daily/weekly quest that points you towards defeating a randomly chosen trial/encounter at minimum ilevel or something like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast