1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 23 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 0 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 9 hours, 23 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah, I thought Aquapolis and City of the Dead were 4-man DR Expert dungeons. They presented the content in a weird order.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I can't wait til they get to ilvl999 and realize they have to reboot the numbering system.

It's not that the dungeons weren't meant to be replayed. It's that there is 0 depth to battle mechanics, making every run the exact same aside from variations in the quality of players you get in your DF. With a properly interesting battle system, even spamming one dungeon can become interesting. When there are multiple ways of doing something, or multiple roles to choose between that all play completely differently, suddenly there is depth. As long as XIV has jobs that need to stick to rigid rotations for max DPS and are only different in name (and otherwise cloned off each other with their only differences being barely consequential shit), of course there isn't going to be a replayability factor. This applies to the enemies as well as the jobs; the enemies in XIV are completely 100% predictable once you memorize the order they do their moves in. You only need 2 skills to be good at XIV - how fast you can push buttons and how well you can memorize a pattern.

Shit's boring.
    In FFXI, dungeons (or instanced content) had depth because they could be completed numerous ways. You could train mobs with a tank to a BLM/BRD/RDM/SCH and keep shit slept and pick them off one at a time. You could fight them as a party, you could lowman them with powerful solo jobs like DNC and BLU, etc. Content was relatively flexible to clear and allowed a wide-variety of job/subjob combinations to clear (assaults, salvage, nyzul isle, BCNMs, etc)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Yeah, I thought Aquapolis and City of the Dead were 4-man DR Expert dungeons. They presented the content in a weird order.
    And 1 not even coming out for about a month ish at best.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So I guess there are 4 new Roulette Expert dungeons this patch? OK.

As far as longevity and interest, every patch makes the problem with this game more and more apparent: no customization of characters, gear that is boring as dirt, and the only reason to do any content older than the last major patch is glamour.

I'm going to go ahead and just call it now: this game is, and will continue to be, significantly inferior to XI. For all the problems XI had, at least that game gave you a reason to play it. XIV has a major problem with creating goals to attain. This game has had 3 years to get its act together and the devs still refuse to acknowledge the problem.

I'll probably continue to play this game as long as most of my IRL best friends continue to play it, but I feel pretty unhappy doing so.
    At this point, I pretty much feel the same way and share all of your sentiments.

I'm amazed that some of you are unhappy but continue to keep playing. Still a lot of "I wish this game were just for me" going on. Stop paying them money if you don't like it, jeez.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

To be fair it's hard to not be addicted once you are. And this is pretty much an addiction. I count myself lucky that the decision to quit was made for me because I probably wouldn't have done that on my own ever despite every logical reason presented here being true 10 months ago and beyond.

What this still has going for it, IMO, is that aesthetic design is pretty great and a few standout fights almost validate the sea of mediocre and uninteresting faceroll. I doubt the magic of Titan HM or EX can ever be repeated because the average player mentality doesn't seem to want anything like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I'm amazed that some of you are unhappy but continue to keep playing. Still a lot of "I wish this game were just for me" going on. Stop paying them money if you don't like it, jeez.
    I'm not unhappy enough to quit, but i've honestly not found an alternative. Just because someone still plays doesn't mean they can't voice criticism. There's still some good there, but at this point i'm not hoping for stuff to be done right or be enjoyable (like AS3), it will just be a nice surprise if something is. But that's me being a pessimist.

My group of 2 years fell apart last week. I had to make a decision - either quit, go casual due to friends still playing, or try and make a step up into a better group.

I thought about it, and honestly i'd be bored without something difficult to do, and I really couldn't be bothered starting another MMO from scratch.

That's another thing keeping some people playing: their statics.

Before I quit that was the only reason I was still logging in, I liked doing stuff with them, telling them I was leaving was like a really downer breakup.

"It's not you, it's the game, you'll find someone else"

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My static falling apart is basically what made me stop playing. Game is still fun enough in small spurts but it's def not the type of game to spend a great deal of time in weekly especially since 3.3 is just a new coat of paint

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

This got me thinking, I wonder what SE does with my crysta reserve that I use for my payments? Since I sure as hell don't give them money outside of XI. Also, I've yet to see "I wish this game were just for me", but then again, when you twists things a certain way..

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    My static falling apart is basically what made me stop playing. Game is still fun enough in small spurts but it's def not the type of game to spend a great deal of time in weekly especially since 3.3 is just a new coat of paint
    I spend way too much time on the game. I find something to do but never anything super enjoyable leveled alt to 60 and geared her out to raid/something to work on but man almost done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I'm not unhappy enough to quit, but i've honestly not found an alternative. Just because someone still plays doesn't mean they can't voice criticism. There's still some good there, but at this point i'm not hoping for stuff to be done right or be enjoyable (like AS3), it will just be a nice surprise if something is. But that's me being a pessimist.

My group of 2 years fell apart last week. I had to make a decision - either quit, go casual due to friends still playing, or try and make a step up into a better group.

I thought about it, and honestly i'd be bored without something difficult to do, and I really couldn't be bothered starting another MMO from scratch.
    See, this is the thing. At some point if you don't enjoy the game you literally are just paying to complain about it, which is fair enough it's your money but I don't get it. If you're hanging on because there's nothing else to play you or you don't wanna start over you can't really be that mad because the game is doing something for you at least. Whether you keep on the look out for something better is ultimately always an option.

As for statics there's always the human element and it can suck to leave some people but...it's not even a job you can just leave and easily keep in contact with people. Play other things with them maybe or at the very least you know where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Also, I've yet to see "I wish this game were just for me", but then again, when you twists things a certain way..
    What are you even talking about?

People aren't asking for very specific things, they don't want a game "just for me."

The complaints are very broad and shared by a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    The complaints are very broad and shared by a lot of people.
    So is what I said.

There's nothing that suggests what people want is specific, people want what they want and for the most part it's totally out of line with what the game is. After 2+ years and all which is more surprising than anything.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

So is what I said.

There's nothing that suggests what people want is specific, people want what they want and for the most part it's totally out of line with what the game is. After 2+ years and all which is more surprising than anything.
    Well, with Yoshi's "we can do x if we wanted to, we just choose not to because of player exclusion being possible" at Pax and "servers will crash", I guess you're right. If this was anything other than a FF title with the FF community, it would be left in the dust, as seen by Fantasy Earth..heck even Front Mission Online barely stood a chance when "nothing interesting" started happening with the game.

Otherwise, I guess 4.x will just be 2.x with swimming not used in any actual content and people will be 100% ok with a 3rd go around of the same setup. It's still weird to me they never utilized Flying, which could have lead to actually interesting dungeons and boss mechanics...unless they're saving flying being a part of 3.x's content at the VERY END of Heavensward.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post

It's missing the "something difficult" and more just "your fucking EXP has EXP, skinner box grind city motherfucker" but Black Desert is an ok time-waster. I know upfront that I'm not serious enough to make an impression in it, nor do I want to. But I make bars fill up and fill the same mundane sense of satisfaction I might get from XIV but without having to deal with bad players (not because there aren't any, just because there's a thousand fucking things to do solo).

Like I've been in it for almost a week and I've been swatting down quests in the first area and only spending like 5% of my time killing anything.

Flying is a relevant mechanic in Diadem (as you have to unlock it for better hunting/gathering).
    Too bad Diadem was designed by toddlers.

The failure of Diadem is probably what I would describe as the turning point of this game. Diadem could have been the best content in the game, and instead it's horrible and stupid.
    I feel like, from what I heard, Diadem before nerfpatch was accidentally a decent design. Why did they decide to fuck that up?

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    It's still weird to me they never utilized Flying, which could have lead to actually interesting dungeons and boss mechanics...unless they're saving flying being a part of 3.x's content at the VERY END of Heavensward.
    Flying is a relevant mechanic in Diadem (as you have to unlock it for better hunting/gathering).

The failure of Diadem is probably what I would describe as the final turning point of this game. Diadem could have been the best content in the game, and instead it's horrible and stupid.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

The failure of Diadem is probably what I would describe as the final turning point of this game. Diadem could have been the best content in the game, and instead it's horrible and stupid.
    Yeah..Diadem had so much potential if they just ..realize "player exclusion" will happen regardless, sure they dumped it in at the wrong time (giving BiS 210 pieces for virtually little work during an active raid cycle) but they at least have the groundwork they can work with..

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I feel like, from what I heard, Diadem before nerfpatch was accidentally a decent design. Why did they decide to fuck that up?
    All the nerf did was lower the frequency of rewards, Diadem was hot garbage from day 1.

You sat in one area and killed HP sponge mobs with no real challenge or mechanics until an NM with no real challenge or mechanics (aside from just cure bombing) spawned and you killed that.

There was 0 actual exploration and no variety of any kind (same zone and mobs every time).

The fact that the rewards were dull and uninteresting goes without saying, all rewards are dull and uninteresting when you only have 4 stats.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm in the middle (just came off of a 2 month break from the game). At this point I basically log in, get smoked out and have fun PvPing and helping out randos, which is cool too. Will likely be taking a much longer break just before 4.0.

I had a ton of hope for the 3.0 series after how successful and fun 2.X was, but this cycle just isn't hitting as hard for me. I do feel that FFXI is still a superior game, but I know full well that game has had about 3-5 years on it before it became a polished game. Hopefully FFXIV is currently in this phase and will have an increase of the breadth of stuff to do for midcore -> hardcore people.

The game really is beautiful and has great tunes, some of which are classics now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast