1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 7 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

About Diadem.. Hot garbage or not, it was still cool to see people get together and kill things or against each other. It was definitely the most I saw people actually get off their asses and not just stand around online.... at all times or just glamour whoring.

Speaking of rewards, the armor could actually be really damn good if you got lucky.

If they just mixed things up a bit, maybe updated it and varied up the look of the zones, monsters, and drops, could see some great potential but who knows what they plan on doing. Might as well just kill it where it stands now if they ain't going to touch or update it at all.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    About Diadem.. Hot garbage or not, it was still cool to see people get together and kill things or against each other. It was definitely the most I saw people actually get off their asses and not just stand around online.... at all times or just glamour whoring.

Speaking of rewards, the armor could actually be really damn good if you got lucky.
    Diadem had great potential. What you mention here were definitely some of its redeeming qualities.

I think the XI vets wanted it to be Dynamis - I know I sure did. Instance you could freely roam around skillfully decimating mobs that have a chance to drop good armor. It was almost that. Close, but no cigar.

Its main problem is that Free Companies are barely a thing in XIV, so you were generally stuck with uncoordinated random groups (unless you got lucky and ran with familiar faces in a Diadem-devoted LS like I did for a while). But you could only get into the only mode worth doing for gear drops (Hard Mode) if you were in the 1% of players who were in an FC with a house with an airship that was upgraded enough. Plus, iirc FC ships were shoved onto different islands at the beginning or could even be shoved into different instances because you couldn't actually go as an alliance, which made it almost pointless as "FC content", despite being advertised as such. Many hoped that Diadem would be the first content on a path towards building more reasons for FCs to become like XI Linkshells were, but the delivery on this part of Diadem was so poor it became clear very quickly that there would be no change in the community to how FCs operated.

Then, there was the problem of having to spend too much time unlocking flight (which they've changed now but it's still dumb not to be able to fly from the beginning). They implemented that mechanic in the name of "exploration", which Diadem ended up having none of whatsoever because the instance was the exact same every fucking time and there was exactly 0 reason to do anything outside the preordained "best" way of doing things (admittedly this part is not different than Dynamis, but Diadem did still fail in its purported goal of being an exploration zone). While it's good to have content that forces players into cooperating, which this mechanic did achieve, we come back to the fact that most were running Diadem with uncoordinated groups of strangers, and it could often take 30mins+ just to unlock flight. It was a bit excessive for a strictly time-controlled instance, and the reasoning the dev team gave for it ended up not being sound, so in the end that mechanic was also a flop.

(Actually, this could have been 100% solved by adding a time extensions mechanic like dynamis had, but with random pop points that would make players search around to find them).

And then there is the problem of the gear itself. At first, it was just rare enough, and some very good pieces could pop. The random generation aspect was really fun. And then they nerfed the fuck out of it and it was pretty much not worth doing anymore. There were a lot of comments about "welp, diadem is dead" right after the nerf, and it hung on for about a week, but after that no one did it anymore. Diadem with 1 party and an otherwise empty zone was not only no fun at all, but 100% not worth doing. Another big problem for Diadem is of course that the gear it dropped did not evolve along with the ilvl progress. As soon as the new tomestone gear was out, Diadem was worthless, because that's how vertical armor progression works.

But yes, the fact that it was getting loads of people together, even cross-server, to help each other or just communicate in general, was actually quite amazing (even though that should be the basic norm for a populated MMO). Strategies were created, people came forward as zone or party leaders, people could mess with each other or come to each others' rescue. Community-wise it was something that XIV desperately needed, but like literally every piece of content in the game it couldn't last.

The dev team is just badly out of touch and doesn't know how to make a fun game. Not that they need to - as others have pointed out over and over, most people are either addicted to the point they can't stop even if they want to, or completely content with a glorified dress-up sim.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The absolute irony is that the solution to making Diadem viable content is already in Diadem but is wasted.

Instead of using the objectives for dumb ass tokens, completing objectives should be what spawns NMs/tracks, with a (much larger) rotating pool of objectives. The objectives already in the game (kill x of enemy z, go touch this thing, collect x of item y, etc.) are good enough for barebones, and would be an incredible improvement over the mindless farming that Diadem is now.

In fact, Diadem would be better if it were exactly flipped: you complete objectives for gear hunting, and do mindless farming for tokens (1 token per kill or what have you). Of course, putting in the option to grind enemies for tokens means that people might actually choose to grind enemies for tokens (read: exp party), and we can't have people making choices.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    See, this is the thing. At some point if you don't enjoy the game you literally are just paying to complain about it, which is fair enough it's your money but I don't get it. If you're hanging on because there's nothing else to play you or you don't wanna start over you can't really be that mad because the game is doing something for you at least. Whether you keep on the look out for something better is ultimately always an option.

As for statics there's always the human element and it can suck to leave some people but...it's not even a job you can just leave and easily keep in contact with people. Play other things with them maybe or at the very least you know where they are.
    Imo if someone has a legitimate criticism about the game, it shouldn't matter if someone is still paying a sub or not. I can understand why people still pay a sub - social aspect, not wanting to fall behind while hoping the game will include something of interest, waiting for a patch. Not something i'd do, but I can understand it.

So is what I said.

There's nothing that suggests what people want is specific, people want what they want and for the most part it's totally out of line with what the game is. After 2+ years and all which is more surprising than anything.
    There's a lot of suggestions that wouldn't be totally out of line with what the game is though. Things like some more mid core content. Diadem changes. Extreme 24 man raid. Sure, there are some ideas that are totally out of line with what the game is, but there's also plenty of idea's that aren't.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm amazed that some of you are unhappy but continue to keep playing. Still a lot of "I wish this game were just for me" going on. Stop paying them money if you don't like it, jeez.
    because theres no suitable alternative. no one is making the game we want to play.

about Diadem. to me the problem with it was that it was braindead like EQ's in pso 2 and some of the post 45 content in BnS. I have a theory though. they said in 4.0 they are planning to get rid of normal mode raids. diadem is more suitable to fill that gap than it is for catchup patches. so I think they wont revisit diadem type content till then.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Serious question, I see alot of people bitching about this game but continue playing

If the game is that boring to you just stop playing?

I know it won't do much if it's just BG, but best way to make SE understand is to lower their income by stopping to play no?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

People like to complain. I like to complain.

But there's a line between complaining because you want to improve the game you like, and hating the game. And I think a lot of people feel that there isn't an alternative MMO.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Yeah but money talk, game been out for what 2 years? And just complaining doesn't seem to work.

So gotta hit them where it hurts, in the wallet (but yeah gl making the internet agree on that )

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Yeah but money talk, game been out for what 2 years? And just complaining doesn't seem to work.

So gotta hit them where it hurts, in the wallet (but yeah gl making the internet agree on that )
    This place is less busy than it used to be, no? I assure you, a number of people have done just that. I quit back in February or so.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post

You also have to take into consideration if you're the kind of person that will just up and ditch your static without word or "rage quit". A lot of people stay committed purely because of not wanting to bail out on their friends, not because they're "forced" to play the game or "don't want to quit despite not liking it." That's why I don't mind staying for my static because I pay with Crysta I have left over from 1.x days when I heard it will be a P2P MMO, so unless SE's Crysta is the equivillent of Bitcoin, they certainly ain't getting money from me outside of FFXI lol.

And it's sad but true, outside of XI, DQX and PSO2 (which isn't a true "MMO") there really isn't a good MMO out there because they've all adapted this kind of playstyle and "less is more" because they're too afraid of not making their money, which is fine being a business and all. And yeah, hating the game is very different than just complaining, because if people didn't complain, we wouldn't have gotten 1.21-2.x+ (since Yoshi did state when he took over up until 1.20 the previous team already had completed or in progress) yet post ARR..you tend to get people who defend everything about this game trying to shut down any complaints that would make the game better, and no matter how you slice it, complaining about the director "not wanting to do something" in his own words or the fact the foundation of the game is so heavily flawed that even a SLIGHT increase in playerdata will crash servers...is perfectly fine. While the last bit is a ploy to sell more retainers, money does talk..so until the massive hits between patches they take gets larger, nothing will change.

The game is fine if you've never played and just started or thinking of starting since that was Yoshi's whole idea for the game in the first place.

I mean, my biggest issue is XIV got a new expansion and it felt like absolutely nothing changed. Even with XI when "nothing changed" the actual content was different due to being horizontal. Zilart brought in Sky after one of the major updates which was something unique to XI at the time - It had the sky gods, leveling spots (for its time) and Ark Angels (story and/or for rewards) ontop of the rest of the Zilart storyline. Heavensward brought the usual Primals (That was supposed to be different unlike 1.x primals!) Tome grind and Crystal Tower like content, that also was supposed to be "completely unique to FFXIV" which I guess you can't fault them for since fanservice sells.

This is why them working on 4.x now is kind of worrisome because it'll be too late to make any real changes and them banking on a repeated 2.0/3.0 success using the same formula is far riskier than actually changing up how the game plays.

Then again, it's also largely the same FF community that will shovel their money into SE's pockets for the FFVII remake regardless of how it'll turn out, so who knows, maybe 4.0 being ARR with swimming will be hugely successful and they never have to change..maybe it'll crash and burn or show very obvious distaste like 3.0 > 3.1 gap.

There's really nothing wrong with changing the formula, MMOs of the past did it, I'm not sure why it's looked down when it comes to this game in particular, hell, their glamour system in this game isn't even as good as XI's lockstyle which in itself is already restricted due to the PS2 coding, yet you still have far more freedom. People there complained about "image" of the jobs like they do with XIV, but XIV is just so...restrictive in everything it does it feels like they need the barriers or the game will shatter to pieces. I mean you even get penalized for wanting to help people in savage content by removing the drops.

So all in all, yes people who dislike the game or bored or whatever have quit, many people hang on due to their friends (not everyone can just ditch their friends who play certain games) and even the OF has slowed down a ton until a poor unfortunate soul dare says something is wrong with XIV or god forbid the Japanese get exclusive glamour items.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

The amount of content recycling that is happening is my only peeve, since I don't have a raid static.

I understand, to some degree it's essential to incorporate a system so older dungeon are not obsolete, so new players and alt levelers have the ability to do that content without enormous queue times.

But the fact we went in to a completely new expansion and we are still made to do those low-level dungeons for tomes for current gear. The thought of doing Satasha for the 10,0000th time is purely enough for me to ignore that roulette entirely.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just take XIV for what it is: A well polished storybook that drops a new chapter every three months you play through. Mess with the new raids, enjoy the nostalgic references and Soken continuing to make a name for himself then drop the whole affair like a part-time girlfriend once it starts to grow stale.

It's clear the team at SE have no ambition for giving more than what we've seen thusfar and the tried 'n true patterns will continue so long as mindless throngs throw money for glams and the privilege of being pat on the head by Yoshida.

I mean hell if I haven't stopped a few times in Eorzea and just admired how beautiful everything is. But it's just skin deep. Like a bimbo.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

The theme park terminology is accurate. Once you've ridden all of the rides, there's not much else to do until new ones get installed, and there's nothing wrong with going to the park every day OR only turning up once a year to see what's new.

They're still only going to put in the rides you expect, though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

So basically every 3 months Disney removes the teacups and replaces it with a new version of the teacups?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

More like how Six Flags will change the color scheme on their gimmick coasters and rebrand them, but yeah. You know what to expect from the park in general: You get 2 mini coasters every couple of months, you get 1 big coaster every other season, and you get 1 spectacle ride that's mostly just for show rather than anything else every other other season.

This analogy kind of breaks down when you start trying to replace everything. Oh, and the food you don't need to buy is overpriced.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    My static falling apart is basically what made me stop playing. Game is still fun enough in small spurts but it's def not the type of game to spend a great deal of time in weekly especially since 3.3 is just a new coat of paint
    This sums up my experience coming back. It was nice getting back into tbe story, but not even a month in an I'm already considering dropping my sub after I finish up the main story since the lack of long term goals or anything different from 2.0 this make it hard to stay invested.

That and I felt Heavensward was flawed since it was locked behind being level 50 and completing the Main Scenario up til that then. Moot point for pretty much all oc us, but for new players not really.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, I'm not sure what you were really expecting. Seeing as one of the game's main attractions is broken up into patches, which are over and done with in a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post

It's clear the team at SE have no ambition for giving more than what we've seen thusfar and the tried 'n true patterns will continue so long as mindless throngs throw money for glams and the privilege of being pat on the head by Yoshida.
    Which wont last long.

I play every now and then.. and just roulette. Healing is still fun, so there's that for me.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what you were really expecting. Seeing as one of the game's main attractions is broken up into patches, which are over and done with in a few hours...

Which wont last long.

I play every now and then.. and just roulette. Healing is still fun, so there's that for me.
    Truth is, not much. But for being gone for 13 months I was expecting something more than getting caught up in roughly 2 weeks.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    That and I felt Heavensward was flawed since it was locked behind being level 50 and completing the Main Scenario up til that then. Moot point for pretty much all oc us, but for new players not really.
    What I found far more annoying in Heavensward was that every new zone was locked behind a quest which required you to be Lv5x and the x would be exactly the level of the first mobs you'd run into in the new zone. Zero excitement was had, no sense of danger in any of the new zones. Being a tank probably didn't help either, but fuck off with the handholding, if I want to die to lv60 mobs as a 51, let me.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Everything in ARR revolves around a rigid structure so it's no surprise you can't do anything to get off the monorail.

I mean, every aspect of the game is basically a straight line. From the dungeons, to the raids, to the skill rotation down to the vertical progression. XIV is a direct answer to XI's huge flaws in horizontal progression becoming a balancing nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast