1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I love gates (pretty much all RPGs and MMOs utilized them) I just didn't like the way HW did it..since it pushes you OUT of the zone and no reason to truly return to it unless you enjoy FATEs and the odd "revisit" in later zones like Hinterlands due to Matoya's Cave.

Like if when all is said and zone and Azy LLia was an end-game zone with content connected to it (similar to Proto-Ultima that isn't a FATE but some kind of actual content) it would have been cool. That and these 2 optional dungeons (AquaDeep) seem like wasted potential but it'll be a fun distraction from the 450/week tome grind.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Everything in ARR revolves around a rigid structure so it's no surprise you can't do anything to get off the monorail.

I mean, every aspect of the game is basically a straight line. From the dungeons, to the raids, to the skill rotation down to the vertical progression. XIV is a direct answer to XI's huge flaws in horizontal progression becoming a balancing nightmare.
    Except for the fact that I had quite a bit of fun on Monk in 2.0 killing stuff a couple of levels above me. Or dying to those mobs...
    3.0 felt like: No, you can't do that anymore, that's too dangerous!

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    I love gates (pretty much all RPGs and MMOs utilized them) I just didn't like the way HW did it..since it pushes you OUT of the zone and no reason to truly return to it unless you enjoy FATEs and the odd "revisit" in later zones like Hinterlands due to Matoya's Cave.

Like if when all is said and zone and Azy LLia was an end-game zone with content connected to it (similar to Proto-Ultima that isn't a FATE but some kind of actual content) it would have been cool. That and these 2 optional dungeons (AquaDeep) seem like wasted potential but it'll be a fun distraction from the 450/week tome grind.
    Actually, to be fair, they did open new quests for the older zones at later levels which was pretty cool. Once you gained the ability to fly in each zone, there were really high level mobs around that were way above your level that you could try on.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

part of the problem is that in a real theme park you visit it maybe once a year not everyday. and it seems like instead of trying to address this they are more focus on bringing in new players than keeping what they have.

also PSO2 is NOT a good game. it's like waiting at a bus stop for an emergency quest to come.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    part of the problem is that in a real theme park you visit it maybe once a year not everyday. and it seems like instead of trying to address this they are more focus on bringing in new players than keeping what they have.

also PSO2 is NOT a good game. it's like waiting at a bus stop for an emergency quest to come.
    Funnily enough, when you know the schedule of EQs it's much like any other MMO these days: Do your Daily/Featured stuff/Bonus Quests and depending on playtime you're already likely about to hit an EQ since they tend to be fairly frequent unless it's usually around major updates/EQ shifts that it tends to slow down, otherwise they're spaced out enough unless you do nothing but play it all day good chance you're going to be running 2 EQs a day if your play time is in chunks. Least it always lines up that way for me (For example today was Yamato at 7am PDT > Yamato 7pm PDT) and in between I'm doing my daily money makers.

I prefer that to being done with XIV content for an entire week after playing for 7 hours on reset day, if FATEs were a bit more dynamic like PSO2's "Emergency Code: (insert)" especially on higher difficulties, the zones would have more variety to it. I'd take a random Proto-Ultima or hell even "Darnus's Ghost" or something spawning in Hinterlands to break up the monotony.

I feel that's what they partially tried to do with hunts but..the system itself was bleh. For as unbalanced as XI was, the overworld content systems were a nice addition (Voidwatch/walker/UC/Monstrosity etc) which I know XIV has the capability of doing or should anyway, since an MMO designed in the late 90s shouldn't have superior systems/capabilities to an MMO designed and released in 2013..especially it being 3 years later after making all that money; Even taking into consideration the 1.x legacy code they likely have to work with.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I miss Beseiged.

Besieged was the shit.

XIV could easily copy it wholesale and it would be awesome. It's not even a difficult thing to implement (aside from having to create an Al Zhabi-esque zone for any city they'd want to do it in but that could be done with assets they already have) and wouldn't require much balancing, which we know the devs are bad at/allergic to. Just have a metric fuckton of dragons and shit rush the special zone in Ishgard once in a while with the objective of not losing X object situated in the city. It would be interesting (and therefore xiv team will never do it) if it was something that made the overworld mobs stronger if they managed to acquire it.

I played on Siren, the server that famously never lost a single Beseiged for many years. But it was close once, like really close. The doors to the Candesence were open and the Lamia and Trolls were simultaneously attacking the blockade of bodies players set up in front of the doors. We had to fight super hard to win that time. It was an adrenaline rush, and it's something I'll never forget because it felt so epic and fun, and our server pride, our winning streak was at stake. Everyone banded together in solidarity to defend the Candesence but also something more important than that.

XIV could use some content like that.

I remember when pre-release info about 3.0 described the Foundation in Ishgard as being vulnerable to attacks by dragons and people thought they'd make dragon attacks on Ishgard a besieged-esque event.

Haha, we were so dumb to think they'd make cool stuff like that.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I miss Beseiged.

Besieged was the shit.

XIV could easily copy it wholesale and it would be awesome. It's not even a difficult thing to implement (aside from having to create an Al Zhabi-esque zone for any city they'd want to do it in but that could be done with assets they already have) and wouldn't require much balancing, which we know the devs are bad at/allergic to. Just have a metric fuckton of dragons and shit rush the special zone in Ishgard once in a while with the objective of not losing X object situated in the city. It would be interesting (and therefore xiv team will never do it) if it was something that made the overworld mobs stronger if they managed to acquire it.

I played on Siren, the server that famously never lost a single Beseiged for many years. But it was close once, like really close. The doors to the Candesence were open and the Lamia and Trolls were simultaneously attacking the blockade of bodies players set up in front of the doors. We had to fight super hard to win that time. It was an adrenaline rush, and it's something I'll never forget because it felt so epic and fun, and our server pride, our winning streak was at stake. Everyone banded together in solidarity to defend the Candesence but also something more important than that.

XIV could use some content like that.
    This right here. I always loved seige-like events games just for the chaos that happens. And they could expand on it a bit more to give DOL/DOH roles to help gather/process supplies for better NPC equipment/fortifications

Hell, it could make FATEs interesting too if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    This right here. I always loved seige-like events games just for the chaos that happens. And they could expand on it a bit more to give DOL/DOH roles to help gather/process supplies for better NPC equipment/fortifications
    This was exactly what Hamlet Defense in 1.0 was, right down to DoH/DoL participation (DoH gave buffs, DoL gave enfeebs).

It was instanced tho, but it was difficult enough to require a lot of strategy and planning.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Sounds fun. I agree that Ishgard would have been the perfect place for it too

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Funnily enough, when you know the schedule of EQs it's much like any other MMO these days: Do your Daily/Featured stuff/Bonus Quests and depending on playtime you're already likely about to hit an EQ since they tend to be fairly frequent unless it's usually around major updates/EQ shifts that it tends to slow down, otherwise they're spaced out enough unless you do nothing but play it all day good chance you're going to be running 2 EQs a day if your play time is in chunks. Least it always lines up that way for me (For example today was Yamato at 7am PDT > Yamato 7pm PDT) and in between I'm doing my daily money makers.

I prefer that to being done with XIV content for an entire week after playing for 7 hours on reset day, if FATEs were a bit more dynamic like PSO2's "Emergency Code: (insert)" especially on higher difficulties, the zones would have more variety to it. I'd take a random Proto-Ultima or hell even "Darnus's Ghost" or something spawning in Hinterlands to break up the monotony.

I feel that's what they partially tried to do with hunts but..the system itself was bleh. For as unbalanced as XI was, the overworld content systems were a nice addition (Voidwatch/walker/UC/Monstrosity etc) which I know XIV has the capability of doing or should anyway, since an MMO designed in the late 90s shouldn't have superior systems/capabilities to an MMO designed and released in 2013..especially it being 3 years later after making all that money; Even taking into consideration the 1.x legacy code they likely have to work with.
    I played pso2 for about a year and a half before ff14 came out and if your trying to play during those times when theres no EQ's it's fucking terrible. also ERP on that game makes balmung look tame by comparison. it's gross. the combat is so face roll that doing dailies is boring as shit. pso 2 literally has the worst combat of anygame I've ever played. its very non intereactive.(how can I kill all the things before they can touch me?) the difference between pso 2 combat and ff14 combat is like the difference between yugioh and magic the gathering. or for a 1 game reference modern vs standard. im sure it appeals to some but when I don't have to think I get bored fast.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

something something Yoshida interviews something

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    The beacon is lit!

Prime Minister of Salt

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Omega Deathbringer
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm about two thirds through the Famitsu one. Something I thought worth posting now - the new Moogle quests will have tier V crafting materia available as rewards in later stages. I don't know whether gathering is included in that, it's not specifically mentioned. He did mention that they are making adjustments for tier IV crafting and gathering materia to make them readily available.

Maybe this was already known, I haven't really been keeping up with the news.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Tier IVs already come pretty regularly (combat ones, anyway) from the original beast tribe quests. I don't know if the max-tier Ixal quests provide crafting or gathering ones, though.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Serious question, I see alot of people bitching about this game but continue playing

If the game is that boring to you just stop playing?
    I play because my (equally-old, housebound, married with children) friends play. It is one of the few things we can do regularly to hang out together. It's easier for us to continue playing this game (which we all liked at least at some point) then to try to find a new game for us all to play.

I have talked to them too, and we all feel similarly; we aren't in love with XIV, but we want to continue playing together and there really isn't a better option. Short of FFXVII or World of Starcraft, I can't really even think of potential options for us to jump to.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    This was exactly what Hamlet Defense in 1.0 was, right down to DoH/DoL participation (DoH gave buffs, DoL gave enfeebs).

It was instanced tho, but it was difficult enough to require a lot of strategy and planning.
    I found Hamlet Defense to be as unbearably boring as Diadem and another perfect example of "interesting concept, terrible execution". I also don't know what to say about "strategy and planning". The common strategy that most people followed was the same for all hamlets and it came down to running around while the NPCs did most of the killing. Being able to influence the drops/score via provisioning was a cool concept, but good luck getting top 3 on an active server. In the end, for me the most difficult part of Hamlet as a DOH was not falling asleep.

The saddest part about Hamlet was how it gated other content which was actually interesting (the relic quest). So many people must've missed out because of that shitty step.

the new Moogle quests will have tier V crafting materia available as rewards in later stages.
    oh snap

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ibi Risasi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They mentioned the Grade V materia in the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part XXX Update Thread:

New beast tribe quests
    Similar to the Ixal quests, these new quests will be crafting-focused quests. They will be quests that you can level from 50 to 60, and you’ll get the materials during the quests. If you’ve already reached level 60, you will be able to earn grade V materia.
    Grade IV materia was hinted at in the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part XXVIII Digest:

Q: Do you have any plans to add materia that can be used by the Disciples of the Hand as rewards for beast tribe quests?
    A: Crafting materia won’t be available as a reward from the Ixal beast tribe quests, but we will be adding new avenues to obtain grade IV materia for crafters in Patch 3.3. We're still making adjustments to this, and I'll discuss this further during the Patch 3.3 special.
    And is confirmed in the Letter from the Producer LIVE Part XXX Digest post that went up today:

We've also made adjustments to how frequently gathering and crafting materia can be obtained. Players will be able to collect grade IV materia at a much quicker rate. Players will also be able to collect grade IV materia by completing the beast tribe story quests introduced in Patch 3.3, and we have also prepared other avenues to collect them.