She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

PS3 Fat YOLD. To gophermods, or not to gophermods...Any suggestions on getting that fixed?

So okay. My brother had his PS3 fat go and YOLD on him today, rather suddenly

I'm planning on calling Gophermods, but they may not be taking mail orders anymore. Just in case, does anyone have any suggestions on who to call? Bro does want to keep the thing working, but if I have to tell him no go...

And before anyone asks, he does not want to deal with Sony. Sony'll just send him a slim. And no one in the house is THAT good at soldering.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+...th+Repair/3654

A bit long in the tooth, but includes everything you'd need to fix it yourself including the heat gun. No soldering required.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i had an old fatty reflowed a couple of times but it just doesn't hold up, it's just resettling the poor-quality factory solder which will eventually crack again with continued use. you can get maybe another 1-6 months out of it using that method, but it definitely isn't a permanent solution.

if your brother doesn't have his saves backed up, i'd say it's worth reflowing it just to get all of the data copied off, but over the long run the unit's going to need to be re-soldered or replaced entirely. i ended up getting a superslim and a dedicated PS2 in place of my old BC PS3.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Think of a "fix" as a chance to get your shit off the hd. Unless it's a rare collectible, don't waste your time w/ it.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll tell Neko that. It may be cheaper to go trolling at Gamestop for a used PS3 and sell that one for parts.

I found a reball service, but the guy hasn't answered me yet. I don't want to send it to someone shady (Yes, gophermods no longer does mail ins, bummer, and I don't think a reflow will help much from this and what other guys have said) so I need a answer before I lay down the money. I don't want to waste money on a fix if it won't last for more than a few months.

It isn't a collector's edition but bro liked being able to play PS2 games on his PS3. I feel sorry for my brother here (I actually bought a slim b/c there's a few PS3 games I want to play, not to mention it makes a good media center) but problem is problem. He has the original PS2 fat, sorry he had to lose the PS2 game saves he has on the PS3 tho.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If he's got a memory card adapter, that should work on any PS3, provided he can migrate the data. Does suck to lose the PS2 game playing, but on the flip side, the fat PS3s run hot and loud compared to slims.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I found a reball service, but the guy hasn't answered me yet. I don't want to send it to someone shady (Yes, gophermods no longer does mail ins, bummer, and I don't think a reflow will help much from this and what other guys have said) so I need a answer before I lay down the money. I don't want to waste money on a fix if it won't last for more than a few months.
    If you don't mind, PM me if you hear back. I also have a fatass I want to get reballed.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll be glad to IF they get back to me (I'm just being sure before I help my brother out; being cautious).

Added you on steam, Cutriss.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Grazé.