+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Unfortunately tracks you hear when you're 20 will never seem as memorable as the ones you heard when you were 10.
    There are plenty of awesome songs from XIII (all 3 of them have amazing soundtracks, XIV and XV I love.

I don't think my age has to do with it, I just dont think XII delivered on its soundtrack.

That's kind of what I was getting at, the soundtracks to more recent games are often just as good as the older ones they just don't leave the same impression.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Most of the older songs tend to have stronger melodies which makes it more memorable. I like a good deal of XII's soundtrack but I can't really remember much of it until I hear it.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Most of the older songs tend to have stronger melodies which makes it more memorable.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

XI still holds a special place for me and easily ranks as the best FF music. Gustaberg/Zitah/ etc are still as powerful today as they were over a decade ago.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Personally I think XI was so god like because of the sheer amount of music the game had...

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Yea pretty much. Ozmone Plains, Esper Battle, and Phon Coast for example are the songs I mostly remember cause they have a distinct melody to me. I couldn't tell you what the music was like for most of the mines areas since the music was kinda just there.

Yeah, a lot of XII's music was meant more to be ambient than sort of a scenic centerpiece. Same for XI, really, assuming the zone even fucking had music.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Just what everyone said here. At first I was disappointed with XII's music. But the more I played it the more I liked it. It's not something I'll really go out of my way to listen to for its own sake, but I love the way it sets up the atmosphere in its game - I think it's perfect for XII, honestly. Recently in the Regalia in XV The Archadean Empire has been coming up a lot and I think that one is one of my favorite XII tracks. I can listen to it for hours. The lack of distinct melodies in the music just makes it more suitable as background music though.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Personally I think XI was so god like because of the sheer amount of music the game had...
    and yet you had so many dead zones that had no music.

It sounds like a cop out and maybe it is but a lot of the zones with no music had a distinct atmosphere because of it.

Having some zones be silent was actually nice sometimes, if anything it meant the music was never at odds with what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Just what everyone said here. At first I was disappointed with XII's music. But the more I played it the more I liked it. It's not something I'll really go out of my way to listen to for its own sake, but I love the way it sets up the atmosphere in its game - I think it's perfect for XII, honestly. Recently in the Regalia in XV The Archadean Empire has been coming up a lot and I think that one is one of my favorite XII tracks. I can listen to it for hours. The lack of distinct melodies in the music just makes it more suitable as background music though.
    Yeah, I suppose I would put in a category where like, the music is good for atmosphere but not so awesome you'd want to go out of your way to listen, which is how I feel about the majority of FF soundtracks.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i dunno, i absolutely adore XII's soundtrack, as i do FFT's and the ogre battle games. i also adore the really ornate baroque era stuff though, where most people would probably draw a line at beethoven's 9th. it's certainly not for everyone, and i get why it takes a backseat to the best of uematsu's FF repertoire, in his prime he was an absolute master of crafting infectious melodies. he was basically the beatles of videogame music. the sakimoto stuff though, it's still good as hell. absolutely all of it!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Personally, as a kid, I would sit around all day/weekend/week playing these games. Now, I get maybe a couple hours every other day or so. Also, games took 80+ then versus barely 40 now, so I heard the music way more. And I don't really replay games now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Reebok sneaker announced - $176
    Spoiler: show

http://reebok.jp/yourreebok/finalfantasy/index.cgi

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Nah

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That's ugly as fuck

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If those were Adidas with a boost sole they'd probably sell, but ain't nobody paying $180 retail for Reeboks

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

not gonna lie i'd definitely go in for an ivalice ultraboost lol, but yeah $180 for some reeboks is not gonna happen.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

lol wat shoes.

Also I don't get why everyone says FFXII's story is the same as Star Wars. I don't think I ever once made that comparison while playing and I'm generally pretty big on comparisons. The feel of it was sufficiently different and, idk, the characters don't really plug into the SW roles all that well aside from maybe Balthier is like Han and he has a cool animal sidekick (sorry Fran!) If you're talking strictly about a group of people going on a hero's journey to take back a homeland subjugated by an Empire, that's a pretty common theme. You could even argue the end of Lord of the Rings for that one. Or any other number of myriad stories with such a premise. (*coughXVcoughXIV*) And anyway, who would Vader be? Cid? Vayne? Gabranth? The comparison just doesn't hold up for me, I'm afraid. To me, there is so much more going on in XII's story than there ever was in the SW movies. XII is my favorite FF game for a reason, and it ain't Vaan's abs :<