Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

2008 Pre-Abyssea Apocalypse gearsets

This question will be a bit out there compared to what you guys are probably used to around here nowadays, but I play this game on a private server that is basically the level 75 cap era of this game with some QOL enhancements. I'm currently making an Apocalypse for my Drk, but since it's been nearly 10 years since this weapon along with the gear sets from back then were relevant, it's a bit difficult to find any guides explaining the optimal way to build for this weapon. I remember enough of the basics regarding what to gear for Catastrophe which would be full STR/ATT, but as far as aftermath and the normal TP phase goes my memory is a bit hazy. Catastrophe is a huge part of the build right? So do I full time spam Catastrophe? Will I be able to alternate between Guillotine and Cata?? Also does the haste effect from Cata count as gear or JA haste? Etc.

I'm really just looking for anyone who owned the weapon back then who can remember enough to maybe give me what their gear set was, and an explanation of the playstyle required to use the weapon to its fullest potential. Hopefully this post isn't against the rules, it's been about a decade since I've posted here. Thanks in advance.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Wahlara turban/?/brutal/?
    hauby +1/homam/rajas/?
    amemet +1 or cerberus mantle/swift belt/homam/homam

if i remember correctly, and yes Cata all day

and the traveler
    BG Level

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Catastrophe

its gear haste, you want to use catastrophe for aftermath and saving your life. guillotine for spamming, cross reaper for darkness skillchains.
    primary modifier for cata is STR so you're right on the money with it. skeelo's gear choices are golden, though one thing i would emphasize is accuracy in those ? slots.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone play SMN on this private server? Because pre-Abyssea SMN was fucking horrible.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah only thing I remember using pre abyssea smn for was nether blast on high lvl/hard to dmg stuff unless you could zerg it. Well and astral burns lol

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Found this on my FFXIAH account photos from back in the day during 75 cap after I crafted a Cursed Hauberk -1 for Armadaberk; should be close for TP set outside of Dusk Gloves on hands (using Ares' in photo for no move speed debuff) but have not played in forever. Neck is an Ancient Torque from Lambton Worm (random Sandworm fight after Doomvoid). My WS set used full Ares' for the DA and massive ATK boost with STR everywhere else. Always use Cata outside of maybe SV March x2 / Desperate Blows / etc with capped gear haste when you might be able to alternate, but again hazy on this. Haste from Cata counts towards the gear haste cap (25% back then IIRC).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

There are some people who play Smn lol, but leveling is done in the classic sense in EXP parties, but with monsters of the moment that give extra exp. So it's not nearly as slow as it was to get to 75 back in XI's hey day. Astral burns aren't allowed. I have seen a few SMNs at Jormungand a few times though. Some of the other Wyrms that weren't fought very often had their loot tables changed around so they would be killed more often. Thanks for your post Wulfgang, very helpful.