BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

5870 Video card won't stay at desired clock speeds

I have an old PC, rocking a good old 5870. I always had this card at 850mhz for gpu and 1200 for memory. The defaults. I had times where it would randomly decide: you can do with lower clocks, but I can't. Lower clocks mean hickups in music, youtube video's acting stupid (getting the loading icon on one for 5minutes because I pressed the repeat button, forwarding or going backwards in a video is a pain in the ass too). And this is the case again now.

Since I recently upgraded to Windows 10 I figured I must have enabled some power saving function, but nope, those are still normal (or I am missing one that is very well hidden). Installed new drivers, still won't stay at max speed. Couple of other things I tried:

- Looked for a power saving option in the shit Cataclyst Control Centre, can't find it.
    - Looked for the same in Afterburner, can't find it.
    - Tried this method. Which worked at times, but now after my 3rd reinstall of drivers, won't do shit.
    - Set profiles for 2D and 3D in Afterburner at 850/1200, won't fuckin work (granted, it nags about not being able to connect to rivatuner server?)

So if anybody has any ideas how to lock this ancient card at its proper speeds, I'd really appreciate it, because it is starting to piss me off.

Also, inb4 get a new card, that's not gonna happen.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I had some issues with a 5xxx card I believe where it would switch between clock profiles in the card bios when the load was just enough to trigger and would get a flicker on the screen (side note, the flicker was only when the ram clock changed, and I think it was only the secondary monitor that flickered). I emailed gigabyte support a couple times about it and they sent me a new driver file that basically just had the clock speeds turned up on the low load state modes iirc. You can do the same thing with the radeon bios editor program out there somewhere. I think you'll need to make a boot usb stick so you can do it in a command prompt. It took a bit figuring out everything from guides here and there but the actual flashing is pretty quick and painless.

If you don't want to do that, in flash videos you can bring up some flash options where you can disable hardware processing and that may also help you at the cost of cpu time.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a go. My second screen also flickers when it changes speeds.