1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -7 hours, -6 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

If FFXIV locked itself at a level/ilevel cap for 8 years then yeah you would see plenty of content to keep going back to if the drop rates of that gear were locked to one per day / one every 2 weeks

Had FFXI not locked itself at 75 for that long things probably would have been the same way as xiv.

If XIV was level/ilevel capped for a long period of time the game actually would die completely.

There are 4-5 stats in the game and there is absolutely no meaningful horizontal progression, there is no gear swapping or even situational gear that you'd swap before certain fights.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think the lack of gear for increasing abilities and actions just hurts the game's equipment system and sense of growth. I (here we go, I know...) liked how FFXI was designed around gear to increase abilities and weaponskills and that made pieces across different types of content desirable. In FFXIV, gear is all about vitality and <primary stat>. It would be cool if one MNK ws was heavily powered by DEX and you could switch in special MNK gear with DEX stats on it to increase damage. Heck, even a ring to increase 'Howling Fist" damage by 10% for example. I recognize this is not the direction Yoshi wants to go with FFXIV but it does solve some of the ilvl problem if some of the lower ilevel gear can still buff an ability to be better than a bland current ilevel piece of gear....

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

the reason i see this wont work is because theyve tried very hard to make sure the games mechanics suit the duty finder.. which pretty much reduces each class to 1 stat, being the ilevel. too must specialization in itemization pretty much breaks down such a system - and if you consider that the best gear for certain builds wont be at the forefront of ilvl, you'll end up with a lot of people who can properly utilize the DF.

the primary stat thing is a problem too.. we shouldnt even be allowed to pump the primary stat, since everyone gets it. give us points to customize our jobs accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    I think the lack of gear for increasing abilities and actions just hurts the game's equipment system and sense of growth. I (here we go, I know...) liked how FFXI was designed around gear to increase abilities and weaponskills and that made pieces across different types of content desirable. In FFXIV, gear is all about vitality and <primary stat>. It would be cool if one MNK ws was heavily powered by DEX and you could switch in special MNK gear with DEX stats on it to increase damage. Heck, even a ring to increase 'Howling Fist" damage by 10% for example. I recognize this is not the direction Yoshi wants to go with FFXIV but it does solve some of the ilvl problem if some of the lower ilevel gear can still buff an ability to be better than a bland current ilevel piece of gear....
    The tier system could work like wow has. 2pc gear increases x ability and 4pc might change an ability or give it a bonus effect. I don't know how they'd implement this with current loot e.g. some jobs use more tome gear than others. I also doubt yoship would want to tackle the balance issues of it. There has been cases were a class 4pc tier bonus has broken them

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    By default, it shouldn't be a lesser version and should contain at least the essentials of a similar product in the modern market on release. It's like redesigning the iphone but removing the headphone jack.
    What?

I really need to know what you're defining this with because it's NOTHING like this. Different != lesser unless you're just being obtuse or difficult. You can repeat the same things over and over again but that doesn't change what we have or what we're getting for now.

And the way to "fix" these problems is just to inundate the game with features that have proven problems or issues. Like I said, lot of "this game just for me" going around.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have not played WOW past 20 but could someone explain how raids work in that game? They have multiple ones and levels of difficulty right? What makes their rewards unique so that people would do several a week?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    What?

I really need to know what you're defining this with because it's NOTHING like this. Different != lesser unless you're just being obtuse or difficult. You can repeat the same things over and over again but that doesn't change what we have or what we're getting for now.

And the way to "fix" these problems is just to inundate the game with features that have proven problems or issues. Like I said, lot of "this game just for me" going around.

There really isn't a less complex way of stating it? ffxiv 2.0 was essentially a lesser version than most modern day mmos released at the time. People gave them the benefit of doubt because it was newly released. The problem is that most of these items were addressed in just about every mmo years before 14's release.

This was most notable in ui designs. We still lack the option to even mail things between characters something games have been able to do for awhile now. Glamour should have been in the game at start. This was addressed in damn near every mmo by 2010. To top it off, The version we have now would be considered a lesser version compared to the options in their competition. There are plenty of things that we lacked that should have been in the game at start.

This isn't different. This is lesser. I'm still in the standing that 3.0 is still a lesser version than other mmos at one expansion in.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I have not played WOW past 20 but could someone explain how raids work in that game? They have multiple ones and levels of difficulty right? What makes their rewards unique so that people would do several a week?
    Allow me

There are 4 difficulties:
    Looking For Raid - 25 members, lowest tier reward
    Normal Flex - between 10 and 30 members are allowed, bosses/mechanics will scale to the amount of people in the raid
    Hard Flex - between 10 and 30 members are allowed, bosses/mechanics will scale to the amount of people in the raid
    Mythic - fixed 20 members, cutting edge

I guess the uniqueness here is that a raid is essentially one big ass dungeon with multiple bosses (6~12 depending on which), not a mini dungeon with a boss like FFXIV has. Hence, to practice/do the last boss for example, one has to clear everything again unlike FFXIV where you can just jump straight to it. Also, while you can save your progress, most groups would opt not to because of loot.
    For Normal, Hard, Mythic, it's not uncommon for a lot of groups to spend a while clearing it. Even the first and second bosses can make the group struggle for a week (of raiding 2 nights a week for 3 hours). Except in LFR. It seems maybe in FFXIV that people clear shit regardless until they hit a roadblock (i.e. Savage Alex 3). And they hit the roadblock fast.

RE: Gear sets... it's in the game already, but utilised extremely poorly. 2 piece GC (Ul'dahn Soldier's Overcoat) set gives you an extra PLUS THREEE DETERMINATION for example!!! omg!!! lol

There really isn't a less complex way of stating it? ffxiv 2.0 was essentially a lesser version than most modern day mmos released at the time. People gave them the benefit of doubt because it was newly released. The problem is that most of these items were addressed in just about every mmo years before 14's release.

This was most notable in ui designs. We still lack the option to even mail things between characters something games have been able to do for awhile now. Glamour should have been in the game at start. This was addressed in damn near every mmo by 2010. To top it off, The version we have now would be considered a lesser version compared to the options in their competition. There are plenty of things that we lacked that should have been in the game at start.

This isn't different. This is lesser.
    The only thing you can really expect from a game made later are better graphics. Since hardware and software (and people) constantly change there isn't a linear line of improvement when it comes to games. Especially for something subjective like design. That's why your analogy was bunk and why choices in that vein are complicated.

So again, we have different ways of doing things (or things done for reasons you don't care about because I want what I want!) but you seem to be confusing these different things for being lesser. The fact you mention glamours only accounts for things that weren't done on ARRs release because people conveniently forget 1.0 when it's convenient or that development time/resources is a thing.

Though on that note bashing 2.0 for being being behind XI development wise when 1.0 was a thing also happens. Rough.

That's not to say the game is missing stuff or things can't be added, but you're being intentionally obtuse for the way things are. If you make a choice not to have glamour systems in at start, that's a decision you can make and it has no influence or effect on whether the game is "modern" or not. Mailing to another character is the same thing, allowing custom UI etc.

Just because it's different and you don't like it doesn't make it less than it's counter parts.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

I wonder exactly how much of ARR was new code and not just hammering out the piece of garbage that was 1.0. If they had to rebuild a ton of the actual game, it's not much of a surprise that it was lacking features for a three-year MMO development time. It doesn't necessarily excuse it, but it might explain a bit.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I wonder exactly how much of ARR was new code and not just hammering out the piece of garbage that was 1.0.
    Yoshida said 2.0 was built from the ground up on a new engine including the 1.x content (as seen with stuff like Cutter's Cry), so the only legacy code if anything was data that doesn't necessarily prevent new features or standardized features since 2005 from being in the game.

People were just in the honeymoon phase with the game. It's not a bad MMO, but it's clear they're just "content" rather than doing more.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

That would make ARR just around five years of total development time now, with roughly half of that being while the game was live.

Googling around shows that patch 1.23b was the last 1.x patch, and it came out in September of 2012, so it might actually only be four~ years of development, with three of them on live servers.

To my limited understanding, that's not a lot of time to put together instanced housing AND open world content AND meaningful endgame AND all of the bells and whistles people want because it was in another game.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    To my limited understanding, that's not a lot of time to put together instanced housing AND open world content AND meaningful endgame AND all of the bells and whistles people want because it was in another game.
    TBH, we barely have any those things now. I mean, we just got the option to hide quests functional after... 2 years? Even the ability to hide quests is more convoluted than it should be compared to it's peers.

I'm not asking for bells and whistles just that, if a new player went from wow/swtor/rift/etc to ffxiv it shouldn't be missing essential items that the other games have had forever and those items are not so functionally different such that their easily transitioned into.

It's like they actively try to make a worst version of things that already exist for the sake of being different.

The easiest argument for this is the gearing system and weekly caps. Which, actively works against their armory system. Yes, you can play all jobs on one character. But your successive jobs are going to be weaker than your main, unless you use an alt and circumvent that entirely. At that point, why not just build in separate caps per job? I can't be the only one that cringes when JSE gear comes out as the new tome gear.

This is all just a lesser version of one character/one job, the job system in FFXI, and the soul system in Rift.

Just because it's different and you don't like it doesn't make it less than it's counter parts.
    Different is taking something and innovating on it in a way that handles the same objective in a more efficient or viewing it in a new way. Different is great. FFX's sphere grid vs FFXII's square grid is different. FFIX's skill equip vs FFIII's GF skill equip is different. Lesser is taking something pre-established and either removing efficiencies, usability, adding unnecessary steps, or simply downgrading a product. Adding a third step to hide quests, 1.0 retainers, 2.0 retainer banking, 3.3 Auction board search functions.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I guess the uniqueness here is that a raid is essentially one big ass dungeon with multiple bosses (6~12 depending on which), not a mini dungeon with a boss like FFXIV has. Hence, to practice/do the last boss for example, one has to clear everything again unlike FFXIV where you can just jump straight to it. Also, while you can save your progress, most groups would opt not to because of loot.
    For Normal, Hard, Mythic, it's not uncommon for a lot of groups to spend a while clearing it. Even the first and second bosses can make the group struggle for a week (of raiding 2 nights a week for 3 hours). Except in LFR. It seems maybe in FFXIV that people clear shit regardless until they hit a roadblock (i.e. Savage Alex 3). And they hit the roadblock fast.
    I feel like you're mixing things up and leaving things out.

• You can't just jump straight to any boss in XIV's actual raid mode (Savage). It has to be cleared sequentially. You can only skip (which forfeits loot) if someone in the group has reached that boss, which you could do in WoW too when I raided.
    • XIV's normal mode allows you to go into whatever floor you want, but that's not much different than WoW's LFR (XIV normal equivalent) as LFR mode sections the raid in separate, queueable parts.
    • People don't "clear shit regardless" in XIV any more than they do in WoW. In my experience, plenty of groups struggle on the early fights in both games, and the raids get cleared relatively quickly by world first groups in both games. It's hard for me to compare due to the multiple difficulty settings in WoW and the way their PTR works for raids, though.

The main and most important difference for me is the scale: XIV tiers have 4 bosses (5 if you count the raid patch primal) while WoW tiers have 7-12 bosses, like you mentioned. In WoW this allows for a longer progression period, a much smoother difficulty curve, and way more boss variety and loot, which tends to make the raiding experience feel much, much better. Add the multiple difficulty settings on top of that, and it's a lot of content for a lot of different types of raiders (although personally past a certain point I stop seeing multiple difficulties as a good thing, screw progressing through the same boss multiple times).

What makes their rewards unique so that people would do several a week?
    In terms of rewards, I never found WoW items interesting except for trinkets, set bonuses, and some weapons.

However, a big difference is that raid rewards aren't handed out and invalidated as quickly as in this game, which makes raiding feel more rewarding: in WoW the ilevel reward from the casual content doesn't match the ilevel reward from the higher raid difficulties, lockouts are never removed from the raids, and raid mounts/vanity rewards see their droprates significantly lowered once the tier ends.

Different is taking something and innovating on it in a way that handles the same objective in a more efficient or viewing it in a new way. Different is great. FFX's sphere grid vs FFXII's square grid is different. FFIX's skill equip vs FFIII's GF skill equip is different. Lesser is taking something pre-established and either removing efficiencies, usability, adding unnecessary steps, or simply downgrading a product. Adding a third step to hide quests, 1.0 retainers, 2.0 retainer banking, 3.3 Auction board search functions.
    The only thing you've established is that if you change what you conceive to be a standard it becomes less than what it is. If you wanna do that, so be it. This is ultimately just down to semantics since between XII and X or IX and III there is a lesser version as you would put it so I think this is getting silly.

What you call different can also be called growth. Or not.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Allow me

There are 4 difficulties:
    Looking For Raid - 25 members, lowest tier reward
    Normal Flex - between 10 and 30 members are allowed, bosses/mechanics will scale to the amount of people in the raid
    Hard Flex - between 10 and 30 members are allowed, bosses/mechanics will scale to the amount of people in the raid
    Mythic - fixed 20 members, cutting edge

RE: Gear sets... it's in the game already, but utilised extremely poorly. 2 piece GC (Ul'dahn Soldier's Overcoat) set gives you an extra PLUS THREEE DETERMINATION for example!!! omg!!! lol
    Thanks! I suppose SE figures that Alexander normal and Alexander savage constitute two difficulty modes, with appropriate gear. Yet, there are multiple raids in WOW per patch, no? I feel a variety of raids is really lacking in the game.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    The only thing you've established is that if you change what you conceive to be a standard it becomes less than what it is. If you wanna do that, so be it. This is ultimately just down to semantics since between XII and X or IX and III there is a lesser version as you would put it so I think this is getting silly.

What you call different can also be called growth. Or not.
    It has been standard for a considerable amount of time and has been worked to death to find the most efficient means of handling the problem by multiple companies and groups resulting in a great deal of time savings for all parties involved.

More to the point, the mmo market is flooded with hundreds of similar games that referential sources are easy enough to find if you want to design or redesign a mechanic. You have the option to pick the best result and implement it. Why should a company or programmers recreate an already established widget in a worse fashion?

XII took a different view at the same system from X. I wouldn't consider it growth though probably closer to streamlining?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

tbh FFXIV is surprisingly slow with some of the more obvious QoL type of adjustments, or just plain clunky with its implementation.. and this is after the lessons learnt from the horrible 1.0 UI experience. the quest log customization is a good example.. but really the market board search hits the nail on the head - why do we need to toggle the partial search on? who the fuck ONLY searches things starting with the whole first word of an item? it should be the only option.

I get the feeling a lot of the issues we see being raised are less actual problem with content but the user experience. XIV is so incredibly stubborn that it puts XI to shame.
    Duty Finder to me is the worst offender - for starters it's basically the most anti-social mechanism in the game. and once upon a time you couldn't even queue on DF with a friend or two for roulettes.

repetitive content is commonplace in MMOs, but its a lot more bearable when players can do it their own way. the unidentified stage of the Anima quest is so much more well received than pretty much every other stage of relic/anima because of how it gives players the freedom to choose which content they wish to repeat - and becomes that much more bearable. players don't feel as forced to do the repeat old-content treadmill, and see less fault in it

what irks me the most now is that the game seems to like to force people to play their way - even for old content. I hate to keep referring to FFXI but one of the great draws of it was that you could go back to old content and pretty much own it whichever way you choose - i.e. there is value in being able to overpower content (and some people prefer to enjoy content that way), and still get something from it. It makes people want to do it more. Since 3.0 this is possible for a good portion of DF content.. but it is ridiculously inconvenient

like, how is it that theres a minimum ilv setting in DF, but not unsynced (and not undersized)? how many people do you know WANT to do it at minimum ilevel? why not address the demand for unsynced duty finder? some people are fine with staying at cap, but theres also enough people that don't, for rewards that the game has cycled into old content (orchestrion rolls / ponies / etc). it makes no sense to me that such people have no choice but to PF it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    like, how is it that theres a minimum ilv setting in DF, but not unsynced (and not undersized)? how many people do you know WANT to do it at minimum ilevel? why not address the demand for unsynced duty finder? some people are fine with staying at cap, but theres also enough people that don't, for rewards that the game has cycled into old content (orchestrion rolls / ponies / etc). it makes no sense to me that such people have no choice but to PF it.
    There isn't a "minimum ilevel" setting for DF-formed duties. It only works for premade parties, just like "undersized" mode.

The main thing I want from Undersized mode is for it to be available for all duties - not just old ones. I really shouldn't have to get 8 people to enter things like Alexander Midas/Gordias normal when I could just lowman it. Same thing with the 24mans.